Springer to James River Foot Bridge in long sections.

Default Need advice on Scenic Section Hikes

I have hiked 600 miles of the AT, but recently moved to Phoenix, AZ. I'm looking for some one weeks hikes out here incorporating the PCT. The JMT is on my bucket list, but work limits me to shorter trips.

Any advice on some nice scenic 1-2 week trips? Being in AZ I'd prefer them to be in the southern half of CA. I researched one basing in Idyllwild doing a loop with the PCT and other trails. Doesn't have to be the PCT. Big Bear looks like it might be a nice area.

I'm used to the AT and never carried more than 1.5 liters of water. What kind of water storage will I need out here? I think I'd prefer to stay out of the dry desert areas, hiking in areas with better water sources.

Any advice is appreciated! Thanks.

Tahoe Rim trail.

Ugh... missed the southern California part.... hmmm check out Joshua Tree.

Almost all of the PCT in southern CA is more scenic than just about all of the AT (possible exception of northern NH and Maine)
    So, pick an area, keeping in mind that Baden Powell will have snow until May, as will possibly Big Bear area, San Jacinto.
    The Anza Borrega is good for scenery.
    Big Bear and Baden Powell have more trees, so, more like that AT in a way.

It's all good.

Some good hiking around Phoenix and in AZ also.
    Get used to some desert hiking while you're there and learn to dry camp and eat/drink near water sources instead of only where you camp.
    Learn which desert plants are friendlier than others, etc.
    Certain flowers mean water sources are good.
    Be aware.
    Desert can be great hiking.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Lots of good hiking in the San Jacinto area. Lots of loops and thrus you can do there.

I just finished a 200 mile section hike from the border to Cabazon (which is the exit point north of San Jacinto.) I hiked March 26-April 4. You might like to see my pictures to get an idea what it looks like there and what portions you might like to do. I thought it was especially beautiful this time of year. http://santabarbarahikes.local/gorp/albums/pct-2016
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

++ New Posts ++