WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Default What would you do? Looking for thoughts.

Looking for some advice. I will have 3500.00 to hike the trail. I have Chronic Myeloid Leukemia it is treatable, I will bring along my daily chemo pill. When I complete the hike. I will find myself broke and homeless again.

If I don't find a job by may15th, I am planning on to do a walk though of Appalachian Trail http://appalachiantrail.org/. I been told by HUD I don't qualify for homeless housing until one year of not being in a place. I asked them would hiking the Appalachian trail count. They said yes. I have been thinking about doing the hike since last year, and have been to a seminar about the trail, and read a book. If you know anyone who has hiked the trail please let them know.... I also figured this would be the best way loose weight, and to get back into shape. Since I have a chronic cancer, this could be a great story about walking the trail with cancer. Plus when I do because a speaker. I know that will happen after the book is published, it would be a great addition to the speaking career. I figured on spending about 1500 for gear. I do need to find a backpack, sleeping bag, tent, shoes and light heating unit. I don't know how I will fully cover the cost of food doing the trail. If anyone has any ideas about sponsors I would love to hear them. I have contacted the manufacture of my cancer medication, and asked if they would provide 1 month supply for in case I can not get my medication in time.

Would you do the hike know that you come back homeless who know what will happen when I get back.

Thanks for the help

Journal Entries

Hauling yourself, your gear, and your food over the hills and valleys and mountains and streams isn't going to solve your problem. Wandering in the woods for a year so that you can qualify for homeless housing? And somehow you think that you'll be in demand as a speaker?

If you have marketable skills, work. If you don't, learn.

Quote Originally Posted by illabelle View Post
    Hauling yourself, your gear, and your food over the hills and valleys and mountains and streams isn't going to solve your problem. Wandering in the woods for a year so that you can qualify for homeless housing? And somehow you think that you'll be in demand as a speaker?

If you have marketable skills, work. If you don't, learn.
    Spot on.

If this tale is true (looks like a bit of baiting from here) I feel badly for the OP's circumstances. However circumstances can be changed with a bit of thought and effort. Escaping into the woods so one can get financial aid only shifts the responsibility to other, more responsible people. Not many people outside of those unwilling to participate in their own future will be interested in hearing this speaker discuss how they worked the system.

Quote Originally Posted by ricoswava View Post
    Looking for some advice. I will have 3500.00 to hike the trail. I have Chronic Myeloid Leukemia it is treatable, I will bring along my daily chemo pill. When I complete the hike. I will find myself broke and homeless again.

If I don't find a job by may15th, I am planning on to do a walk though of Appalachian Trail http://appalachiantrail.org/. I been told by HUD I don't qualify for homeless housing until one year of not being in a place. I asked them would hiking the Appalachian trail count. They said yes. I have been thinking about doing the hike since last year, and have been to a seminar about the trail, and read a book. If you know anyone who has hiked the trail please let them know.... I also figured this would be the best way loose weight, and to get back into shape. Since I have a chronic cancer, this could be a great story about walking the trail with cancer. Plus when I do because a speaker. I know that will happen after the book is published, it would be a great addition to the speaking career. I figured on spending about 1500 for gear. I do need to find a backpack, sleeping bag, tent, shoes and light heating unit. I don't know how I will fully cover the cost of food doing the trail. If anyone has any ideas about sponsors I would love to hear them. I have contacted the manufacture of my cancer medication, and asked if they would provide 1 month supply for in case I can not get my medication in time.

Would you do the hike know that you come back homeless who know what will happen when I get back.

Thanks for the help
    Why did you go to HUD? Why not the Hartford Housing Authority?

http://www.hartfordhousing.org/

Don't pin your hopes on getting a book published - although I wish you well if you do. The market has been flooded with memoirs ever since the (excellent) Angela's Ashes. But who knows? You could luck out. Try starting locally and approaching the Courant with a column proposal. It might turn into a series if they're interested. Or any of the number of reputable cancer journals - even a Facebook group could steer you in the right direction.

It disturbs me what HUD told you. More typically if someone is sick (even if in remission) emergency public housing can be found, whether in a "project" or a private Section 8 apartment. I recently knew of a man who was living under a bridge, had gall bladder surgery, while recovering was placed in senior housing - usually an 8-year waiting list here in Boston.

Talk to the local housing authority, not the feds. See what they say.

Also, you say you will have $3,500 for this hike. If you apply for housing before the hike, you will have to spend that down. You are not allowed to have more than $2,000 from any and all sources to qualify for housing.

You need an advocate by your side. Many non-profits that have a religion in their name actually cater to everyone. Make some calls to Catholic Charities and Jewish Family & Childrens' Service. Drop in on a priest. Go to the Hartford-area shelters and speak to a social worker. People get housing more quickly when they have the support of a social worker; therapist; clergyperson.

People have posted to gofundme for less dire circumstances. But make sure you provide an avenue so they can check out your story.

I do know someone financing her hike by contracting with a non-profit PR group to speak. Lots of planning needed for that; she didn't find someone overnight; she networked and networked.

Seminar ... read a book. Well, Cheryl Strayed read a book and then did the PCT. It happens. I did the Long Trail without much hiking experience (but had done the Bikecentennial before then, and long-weekend hikes in New England). IDK. It's been done.

As for writing - you need to learn to write, first. And that includes spelling. I noticed a few spelling errors in your post. Yes, I know this is a blog and people often write quickly without proofreading first when they post to blogs - I know I do. But to be taken seriously as a speaker; memoirist; columnist - you will have to have perfect spelling, near-perfect grammar (colloquialisms are OK). Why not start here practicing your spelling? (Spell-check doesn't count, and it doesn't take homophones into account.)

illabelle and Traveler - I feel he needs SSDI, at least temporarily (SSDI has a "Ticket to Work" program which helps reintroduce people to the workforce. It sounds like the OP needs a lot more information than s/he's been given, and that's where a social worker comes into play. The oncologist can make a referral.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing​ and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there. --Rumi

Journal Entries

You should work on getting life in order. Hiking is a vacation. Whats going to happen when quit on day 7? You cant squat on the trail...very long.

Get a job. Go to school. Get some training. Get a job with good insurance. Save some money.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 04-19-2016 at 13:09.

Sorry this came out all wrong. I have marketable skill. I could go out and do many jobs today. I know it will not end "My problems." I had a series of bad circumstances that got to being homeless. I have finally about to or have finally overcame the depression. I really wanted to take a point in my life to do something hard, loose weight and enjoy. Having cancer, and I wanted to take time in my life to enjoy and see some beauty.

Meil,

There are editors. There is difference from a bad speller and a good writer. There are many ways to write a book. One can speak it into a recorder and have a dictation service to write it down. I know about all of the programs. I been applying, and I been told I don't qualify. I did not qualify for domestic violence assistance because I did not have a relationship with my roommate. There were a lot of bad things happened last year, and mostly was out of my control. From cancer to a horrible roommate and many more things. I happened to get

A lot of Authorities are closed : Here is information on Hartford Housing Authority.

HUD – Senior & Disabled – Low Income Public Housing
    Effective Friday, December 5, 2014 at close of business, the Housing Authority of the City of Hartford will only be accepting applications for 1-bedroom and efficiency units for disabled and elderly (62 years of age and older) househoulds for our designated elderly/disabled developments in low-income public housing. No applications will be available for non-disabled and non-elderly households. Applications distributed prior to that date must be hand-delivered or postmarked by Friday, December 19, 2014 to be considered for the waiting list.

HUD - Family - Low Income Public Housing
    Effective Friday, April 17, 2015 at 4:31pm., the Housing Authority of the City of Hartford will close its Waiting List for 4-bedroom low-income public housing. No additional applications will be available. Applications distributed prior to that date must be hand-delivered or postmarked by Friday, May 1, 2015 to be considered for the waiting list.
    The waiting list for 2 bedroom units has been closed since December 2012. Public notification will be made when the Housing Authority decides to reopen the waiting list to accept applications.
    The waiting list for 3 bedroom units has been closed since October 10, 2014. Public notification will be made when the Housing Authority decides to reopen the waiting list to accept applications.

Quote Originally Posted by Miel View Post
    Why did you go to HUD? Why not the Hartford Housing Authority?

http://www.hartfordhousing.org/

Don't pin your hopes on getting a book published - although I wish you well if you do. The market has been flooded with memoirs ever since the (excellent) Angela's Ashes. But who knows? You could luck out. Try starting locally and approaching the Courant with a column proposal. It might turn into a series if they're interested. Or any of the number of reputable cancer journals - even a Facebook group could steer you in the right direction.

It disturbs me what HUD told you. More typically if someone is sick (even if in remission) emergency public housing can be found, whether in a "project" or a private Section 8 apartment. I recently knew of a man who was living under a bridge, had gall bladder surgery, while recovering was placed in senior housing - usually an 8-year waiting list here in Boston.

Talk to the local housing authority, not the feds. See what they say.

Also, you say you will have $3,500 for this hike. If you apply for housing before the hike, you will have to spend that down. You are not allowed to have more than $2,000 from any and all sources to qualify for housing.

You need an advocate by your side. Many non-profits that have a religion in their name actually cater to everyone. Make some calls to Catholic Charities and Jewish Family & Childrens' Service. Drop in on a priest. Go to the Hartford-area shelters and speak to a social worker. People get housing more quickly when they have the support of a social worker; therapist; clergyperson.

People have posted to gofundme for less dire circumstances. But make sure you provide an avenue so they can check out your story.

I do know someone financing her hike by contracting with a non-profit PR group to speak. Lots of planning needed for that; she didn't find someone overnight; she networked and networked.

Seminar ... read a book. Well, Cheryl Strayed read a book and then did the PCT. It happens. I did the Long Trail without much hiking experience (but had done the Bikecentennial before then, and long-weekend hikes in New England). IDK. It's been done.

As for writing - you need to learn to write, first. And that includes spelling. I noticed a few spelling errors in your post. Yes, I know this is a blog and people often write quickly without proofreading first when they post to blogs - I know I do. But to be taken seriously as a speaker; memoirist; columnist - you will have to have perfect spelling, near-perfect grammar (colloquialisms are OK). Why not start here practicing your spelling? (Spell-check doesn't count, and it doesn't take homophones into account.)

illabelle and Traveler - I feel he needs SSDI, at least temporarily (SSDI has a "Ticket to Work" program which helps reintroduce people to the workforce. It sounds like the OP needs a lot more information than s/he's been given, and that's where a social worker comes into play. The oncologist can make a referral.

Registered User dudeijuststarted's Avatar
    Images

I came back from the trail with no plan, no job, and no home. On top of it I developed a medical condition that was taking forever to diagnose and treat. It was the hardest year of my life, far harder and more stressful than the Appalachian Trail or the life I lived before the trail. One of things the trail teaches you is to notice and appreciate the comforts of modern living, so consider whether given your condition you are better off not murdering your body and enjoy the things you have available to you. Not to mention $3500 is a super-tight budget and while the trail is charitable at times you are likely to need support far above and beyond what you can do for yourself.

Advice from an AT veteran: find a more suitable outlet, don't do this.

Journal Entries

Rico,
    If you hang around on here, I think you'll find that most of us are helpful and sympathetic. Based on limited information, we're doing our best to steer you away from what appears to be a decision you'll regret. Only you know what makes sense for you. We don't know what your job skills are. We don't know your age. We don't know your hiking experience. A quick google review of your leukemia indicates that fatigue is a common symptom.

If you have gear, or you can borrow it, why don't you go out onto the trail for a week and see how you like it. If you decide you are capable of handling the physical demands of the trail, go for it. But save up more money first.

Quote Originally Posted by ricoswava View Post

Thanks for the help
    When my life gets complicated, I find that it is best to deal with one issue at a time:

Cancer -- I am also a cancer survivor. When my cancer was discovered, I put everything else to a lower priority until I got my health under control. Chemo almost always produces side effects that require medical attention. Attempting to do an extended hike while taking the chemo would be getting your priorities wrong. Your best effort needs to be licking that cancer.

Income -- You are fortunate to have $3,500 to hold you until you get a source of income. Spending $1,500 of it on hiking gear wouldn't be a wise choice. Until you get another source of income, you should spend only on necessities. Second only to licking the cancer should be finding a job. Finding a job should be your full-time job. The effort put into planning for a thru hike should be put toward finding a job.

Losing Weight -- The best way to lose weight is to reduce calorie intake. Hiking is a good way to get in shape, but you don't have to go anywhere to exercise. You can walk around the block where you are.
    Shutterbug

Quote Originally Posted by dudeijuststarted View Post
    I came back from the trail with no plan, no job, and no home. On top of it I developed a medical condition that was taking forever to diagnose and treat. It was the hardest year of my life, far harder and more stressful than the Appalachian Trail or the life I lived before the trail. One of things the trail teaches you is to notice and appreciate the comforts of modern living, so consider whether given your condition you are better off not murdering your body and enjoy the things you have available to you. Not to mention $3500 is a super-tight budget and while the trail is charitable at times you are likely to need support far above and beyond what you can do for yourself.

Advice from an AT veteran: find a more suitable outlet, don't do this.
    I feel like $3500 is plenty, unless things have changed vastly since 2010 when i did my thru. Did it for $2300 including a bus ticket home from Maine. Didn't feel like I was on a tight budget. I had $4500 total budgeted, though.

I'd recommend the hike to anyone. Being in the woods does wonders for my PTSD, nothing else helped. Unless you have severe back or knee problems, things of that nature.

Starting my 2016 thru this Friday, looking forward to getting out there again.

ricoswava ... I, too, am a cancer survivor. My cancer journey involved three long years of harsh chemotherapy, culminating in an allogeneic stem cell transplant in 2009 at Emory's Winship Cancer Center in Atlanta. Your intentions of hiking the Appalachian Trail while undergoing chemotherapy is ill advised and reflects poor (and immature) decision-making skills. Add to that fact your lack of a job and monetary destitution makes it plain foolish. As much as you don't want to hear it, you need to deal FIRST AND FOREMOST with your illness and personal issues before starting a thru-hike attempt. Contrary to your belief, a thru-hike will not be a cure-all for your life's woes and, most likely, will serve to compound your dire circumstances. Furthermore, your vision of writing a book and earning a living on the guest speaker/lecture circuit is (based on your poor spelling, poor sentence construction and, overall, elementary writing skills) unrealistic, at best. A pipe-dream, if you will. Of course, that doesn't mean you can't give it your best shot, but don't make it your "PLAN A." Most cancer treatment centers, hospitals, and clinics have a social worker on hand that can help and direct, and make referrals regarding your lack of income and housing. All you need to do is ask. They can even provide mental health intervention, if need be, free of charge. My personal advice to you is to seek out help from professional sources, tackle your chronic health and personal issues, and once you are well into your recovery THEN AND ONLY THEN plan the thru hike for which you have long dreamed as a celebration of life.

this doesn't sound like a good idea to me. After 5-6 months on the trail (assuming you last that long) the last thing you'll want is to be homeless. you will want a bed to sleep in and a warm shower more than ever. and 3500 bucks is an extremely tight budget for a thru hike. Forget staying in hotels.. you will stay only in Hostels and not all that often. You will have to avoid visiting the ayce restaurants too often. Don't even thinking of going to bars.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidNH View Post
    this doesn't sound like a good idea to me. After 5-6 months on the trail (assuming you last that long) the last thing you'll want is to be homeless. you will want a bed to sleep in and a warm shower more than ever. and 3500 bucks is an extremely tight budget for a thru hike. Forget staying in hotels.. you will stay only in Hostels and not all that often. You will have to avoid visiting the ayce restaurants too often. Don't even thinking of going to bars.
    Guess I'm really good with money then. $3500 sounds extravagant. I did it for $2300 as mentioned, stayed in a few hostels, hotels a couple of times splitting it, usually not though, I've always considered hotels an extreme ripoff for what you pay. I ate good, not steak and lobster every meal, but not ramen either. Also hit a few bars. Not many, I generally don't drink much while hiking.

I hear about people spending 6k+ and just don't see how. Hike the way you want, but I hear too many people that say you need 5k minimum and I did it for less than half that, and it was nowhere near bare bones. I didn't feel like I was missing out on anything.

I recently got awarded my veteran's disability for PTSD, so I can be extravagant as I want on this hike without worrying about money, like literally, I couldn't spend it all. I doubt I'll change much, though, from my last hike. Always preferred sleeping in my cozy tent over a hostel or hotel room. The few hostels I stayed at were great and the owners were awesome, but wood's hole was the only one I slept well at.

I would have changed nothing had I not gotten my VA disability this year though. I would have gone hiking anyways, and used food stamps if I had to. Don't ever let money get in the way of your dreams. But you sound sick as hell, so that is another matter.

Do you know anyone who wrote a book involving their life story where the vehicle that helped straighten them out was doing a thru-hike? Have you inquired directly from these people about what they have financially gained? Don't include those who's stories were eventually made into movies. Do you know anyone who makes a regular comfortable living where they enjoy some reasonable standard of living publicly speaking about this story? Most of those scenarios aren't what I think you think they entail. Yeah, a thru-hike to beat cancer and …. can change your life but it leading to a truly reliable stable financial status doing book and speaking engagements is a long shot IMO. The overwhelming majority of these scenarios as you portray it likely only supplement another income stream.

Why does it have to be the AT? Why does the hike have to be 2000+ miles? I don't think it does. How about near where you live doing a thru-hike of the Long Trail for starters if you truly want to hike, lose wt, gain some LD hiking experience, and see how addressing your medical condition while simultaneously long duration trail life fit together? Might be wise to consider doing that before you go all in putting your entire savings and possible health at risk drawing to an inside straight on the river?

Sorry, I meant the cancer patient sounds really sick. I'd ask your doctor if you can, not us.

One more matter to consider and I'll put this issue to rest (for me). One of the key components of successful cancer treatment is good nutrition. There is no way in hell you will be able to regularly eat a good, balanced, nutritious, wholesome meal while on the trail, especially with your meager budget. I'm sorry, but ramen noodles, peanut butter and jelly on a tortilla wrap will not cut it. You will need plenty of properly prepared vegetables and an abundance of fruits to keep your body functioning at its peak during your chemo regimen. Again, don't expect the AT to somehow magically cure all your life's woes. You need to be mature, reasonable, and logical in your thought process and put effective treatment of your disease FIRST in your list of priorities. Get your life together and once you are back on your feet, both medically and financially, bitch-slap cancer in the face with a successful, well-planned thru-hike.

OkeefenokeeJoe

This has got to be a troll... Your goal is housing assistance?Seriously? Spend your 3500 on a roof and a haircut. Get a job and take care of your cancer... Hopefully, in time youll be a healthy tax paying citizen who can afford his own housing, medical care and a thru-hike...

Ffs

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    You should work on getting life in order. Hiking is a vacation. Whats going to happen when quit on day 7? You cant squat on the trail...very long.

Get a job. Go to school. Get some training. Get a job with good insurance. Save some money.

We're still in a recession, no matter our solons tell us. He may not have worked in a while. If he hasn't been to school in while, he'll have to take make-up courses - NOT covered by student loans but paid for out of pocket.

Many today lives paycheck to paycheck. Hard to save.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing​ and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there. --Rumi

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++