WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    Yep. It is. I was just being more diplomatic than I usually am..as is the Ursack website.

Hanging an Ursack is like a fish riding a bicycle.
    I would imagine that the makers of Ursack would not want anyone hanging their bag. Because by the 6th time or so (2-3 for the fast learners) the person would realize that they could get by with a lot cheaper and probably lighter bear bag....
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Quote Originally Posted by Cedar1974 View Post
    Apparently some places on the trail require a bear canister. I want to use an Ursack, but my partner is still worried it will attract bears to us. Is there some options you can offer for a lighter way to secure our food?
    Tell your friend that the purpose of a bear canister is not to prevent bears from being attracted. Bears are attracted by smells and bear canisters are not designed to be odor proof. You can buy odor barrier bags to minimize odors (and are good to use as liners in all food containers), but they are just plastic bags and do nothing to keep a bear out. The bear's sense of smell is so acute, I doubt anything is completely odor-PROOF so an odor barrier bag will just minimize the odors, not eliminate them. The bear canister functions to prevent bears from being able to get into your food. Bears quickly learn to leave them alone because they won't be able to get inside. This is why you are advised not to hang a bear canister. Bears learn that a food bag hanging from a tree is the easiest way to get food from a hiker. The correct protocol is to put your canister on the ground some distance away from your tent. The bear will smell it, got to it, see that it's a canister and walk away. If it has not yet learned the futility of getting at the food inside it may with it for a while before giving up. It will smell you in your tent and stay as far away as possible. It will then find a bag hanging from a tree to eat from. Your ultralight option is to hang your food correctly. The bear will take the easy (i.e. incorrectly hung) bags first. But as pointed out above, this is mostly irrelevant on the AT since to my knowledge there is just one section a few miles long that requires canisters for overnight stays. The easy solution is to just hike through this section without stopping overnight.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lonehiker View Post
    I would imagine that the makers of Ursack would not want anyone hanging their bag. Because by the 6th time or so (2-3 for the fast learners) the person would realize that they could get by with a lot cheaper and probably lighter bear bag....
    Most people do piss-poor bear hangs. And a good tree for bear hanging is not always available.

From http://nighthikingtomars.blogspot.co...-crappy_3.html

Crappy%u00252BBear%u00252BBags%u00252B2015%u00252BFinal.jpg
    Last edited by Mags; 04-20-2016 at 14:31.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Most people do piss-poor bear hangs. And a good tree for bear hanging is not always available.

Picture 7 has to be the funniest!!! I almost snorted at that one!!!

for those using an Ursack - would you recommend the traditional Ursack s29.3 or the Ursack Major - the traditional said it could hold roughly 5 days worth of food while the other holds more - was curious which one other AT hikers were using

Journal Entries

The big AllWhite one. Big when you need it, small when you don't.
    hikers gonna hike

Journal Entries

Oh they have a new model out. I have the non-major one (70 USD). It's great. But would probably have bought the major had it been available at the time. But mine is really fine...5 to 6 days of food...fine for me.
    hikers gonna hike

Images

just met an AT thru hiker that could not figure out why a bear stole his food near Wataga Lake. It was hanging two feet from the trunk.

to the OP: from a weight perspective the ursack is by far the lightest and I have had used I believe every canister that is legal in the Sierra and some that aren't. The lightest is not to use it but then you have to be knowledgable enough in how to protect your food from all critters. I would never personally take a canister on the AT but I also know how to do a quality hang when needed and have little issue using my food as a pillow. That's a whole different discussion on why.

Oddly enough, the Ursack site mentions the option to hang 10+ feet high using counterbalance method???

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Obiwan View Post
    Oddly enough, the Ursack site mentions the option to hang 10+ feet high using counterbalance method???
    Mentioned, but not necessary.

So that it can’t be crushed or stolen. Tie URSACK to a tree branch using a figure 8 or another knot that resists clinching, so that it can be untied easily. Alternatively, tie a secure knot and then counterbalance over a high (10′ +) tree branch–not a guarantee, but it will thwart some bears.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

It isn't necessary to hang the Ursack. But I have no desire to eat bear spittle porridge after a bear gets done gnawing on an Ursack. Its great that they can't get in, but now you have to pack out that toxic mess.

So, use the odor bags and tie it to a tree at ground level. Or use the odor bags and hang it at least 10' high 4' out. If the odor bag is compromised, at least you still have another level of protection if you hang it.

...and if there are no trees around? Specifically along the CDT in the Weminuche Wilderness in September.
    FWIW: REI doesn't have the Ursack Major yet. Shucks.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Get the all-white and decorate yourself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrelchick View Post
    for those using an Ursack - would you recommend the traditional Ursack s29.3 or the Ursack Major - the traditional said it could hold roughly 5 days worth of food while the other holds more - was curious which one other AT hikers were using
    I use the traditional S29 constantly. More for the small critters but I can get a week of food in there.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by SouthMark View Post
    The only section that requires a canister is the 5 mile section in Georgia between Lance Gap and Neel Gap and it expires June 1.
    Gossamer Gear has a small bear cannister, for about 3-days food.

Quote Originally Posted by Connie View Post
    Gossamer Gear has a small bear cannister, for about 3-days food.
    From Gossamer Gear's web page:
    This bear canister is approved by the IGBC and SIBBG for use in both Grizzly and black bear country! Bear resistant food containers are mandatory in most National Parks& Forests where grizzly and black bears are present. The Bare Boxer Contender will hold about a 3 day food supply for 1 person and fits in any Gossamer Gear backpack vertically or horizontally. Opens easily with most any key, knife blade or screwdriver.
    Text in red is incorrect and exxagerated. Statements like that lead to questions like the OP asked.

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."

I have advocated the use of Ursak since it was developed.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthMark View Post
    The only section that requires a canister is the 5 mile section in Georgia between Lance Gap and Neel Gap and it expires June 1.
    I mentioned the smaller, more packable bear canister, for where mandatory that's all.

Connie,
    I'm not faulting the canister. I find the marketing speak text very misleading. That's all.
    The Ursack rocks! I hope REI stocks the new Major version before my next trip.

Wayne

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    ...and if there are no trees around? Specifically along the CDT in the Weminuche Wilderness in September.
    FWIW: REI doesn't have the Ursack Major yet. Shucks.

Wayne

I presume a similar process applies as my BV suggests which is to place it 100 yards from camp, but I don't ever go that far. I also place pennies in it so I can hear the rattling if it gets moved. Perhaps some change in a closed up pot put in the ursack would work?
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Quote Originally Posted by scope View Post
    I presume a similar process applies as my BV suggests which is to place it 100 yards from camp, but I don't ever go that far. I also place pennies in it so I can hear the rattling if it gets moved. Perhaps some change in a closed up pot put in the ursack would work?
    I think we're going to have to make this up as we go.

Wayne

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++