WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default 6 gram Carbon Fiber Tent Stakes

I just received 4 of these from Ruta Locura and they are crazy light at 6 grams ea. My only concern with them versus MSR Groundhogs is the fact that there is no cordage attached to assist with getting them out of tough ground once they're in. Any feedback on these and has this been an issue?

You are right to be concerned. Missing a stake or two ain't the end of the world but it sure p****** up the next camp for me😠.
    I went for the larger Toaks Ti stakes and painted them day-glo. Take that, dame fortune!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
    Miles to go before I sleep. R. Frost

AT 2012

hey, i thank you kindly for introducing me to a new supplier!
    Lazarus

Journal Entries

The simple solution is to pack along a full sized shovel so you can dig them out if that happens with your less than 6 oz carbon fiber stakes.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Starchild View Post
    The simple solution is to pack along a full sized shovel so you can dig them out if that happens with your less than 6 oz carbon fiber stakes.
    That should read less than 6 grams, but it still works as these are also less that 6 oz

CDT - 2013, PCT - 2009, AT - 1300 miles done burger's Avatar

I can't imagine that carbon-fiber tent stakes are durable enough to last. I beat the crap out of my stakes (let's just say that I have hit a rock stop me from trying to keep pounding my stakes in). My experience from carbon-fiber trekking poles is that they do fine...until they fail catastrophically.

The thin titanium shepherd hooks are strong enough to put up with whatever you do to them (I have some that I've been using for over 10 years) and only weigh 1 g more.

Quote Originally Posted by burger View Post
    I can't imagine that carbon-fiber tent stakes are durable enough to last. I beat the crap out of my stakes (let's just say that I have hit a rock stop me from trying to keep pounding my stakes in). My experience from carbon-fiber trekking poles is that they do fine...until they fail catastrophically.

The thin titanium shepherd hooks are strong enough to put up with whatever you do to them (I have some that I've been using for over 10 years) and only weigh 1 g more.
    The ti shepherd stakes are strong (hell there are titanium) but their holding strength is not the best. These carbon fiber ones have better holding power for sure due to the larger diameter. For me the added bonus was some gram savings. I too, however, had concerns about the durability. I have read the following review and decided to give them a try. ZPacks is now making some and I generally trust them since they seem to thoroughly vet products before selling them.

https://ulgearblog.com/2015/06/12/fe...a-sorex-stake/

I still carry ten penny nails. Cheap, and you can hammer them to death all day long.

To reduce weight, save your money and fast for a while.

To address the OP, attach cordage?

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckT View Post
    You are right to be concerned. Missing a stake or two ain't the end of the world but it sure p****** up the next camp for me.
    I went for the larger Toaks Ti stakes and painted them day-glo. Take that, dame fortune!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
    Reminds me of my February trip full of snow and of course I lost 2 easton pegs in the course of the trip. Solution is simple---whittle something with your penknife---

I was in Mt Rogers backcountry a couple years ago and needed extra pegs for a terrible windstorm atop Wilburn ridge so I made these.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevep311 View Post
    The ti shepherd stakes are strong (hell there are titanium) but their holding strength is not the best. These carbon fiber ones have better holding power for sure due to the larger diameter. For me the added bonus was some gram savings. I too, however, had concerns about the durability. I have read the following review and decided to give them a try. ZPacks is now making some and I generally trust them since they seem to thoroughly vet products before selling them.

https://ulgearblog.com/2015/06/12/fe...a-sorex-stake/
    True, you wouldn't want to go with all tiny stakes. I bring a few y-stakes for my tarp ridgeline and upwind tie-outs. Everything else is shepherd hooks. The extra weight is minimal, and worth it because I never have to worry about having my stakes break.

Also, the heads of those carbon fiber stakes are glued on? The forces on tent stakes can be tremendous. Between the inherent lateral weakness of carbon fiber and the glued on heads, this strikes me as a silly weight to save a gram or two. Cut off the tags on all your clothes and gear instead. This will save you more weight without any drawbacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Casey & Gina View Post
    That was my first thought, but there is no where to do so.

True, you wouldn't want to go with all tiny stakes. I bring a few y-stakes for my tarp ridgeline and upwind tie-outs. Everything else is shepherd hooks. The extra weight is minimal, and worth it because I never have to worry about having my stakes break.

Also, the heads of those carbon fiber stakes are glued on? The forces on tent stakes can be tremendous. Between the inherent lateral weakness of carbon fiber and the glued on heads, this strikes me as a silly weight to save a gram or two. Cut off the tags on all your clothes and gear instead. This will save you more weight without any drawbacks.
    Except then I would know how to wash my clothes.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Casey & Gina View Post
    He can try but those are multiple separate pieces somehow bonded together, it appears like 4 pieces, an outer sleeve of aluminum, a inner core (not visible) of presumably carbon fiber, a hardened tip of some metal and perhaps a separate piece of aluminum for the end. Pulling too hard on the end could simply have it detach, drilling a hole to attach the cordage would weaken the stake and may result in it breaking from forceful insertion/extraction, perhaps even fracture the carbon fiber, ideally any real force should be applied to the aluminum shaft, perhaps some sort of self tightening knot may be used for this.

Except then I would know how to wash my clothes.
    Got a phone with a camera?

Journal Entries

I just received 4 of these from Ruta Locura and they are crazy light at 6 grams ea. My only concern with them versus MSR Groundhogs is the fact that there is no cordage attached to assist with getting them out of tough ground once they're in. Any feedback on these and has this been an issue?

What, you cant figure out how to pull up on the guyline over a stake to pull it out the ground?

These stakes are ok for ridgeline and soft soil, but ti skewers work better with the rocks in the ground.

If cant shove it in by foot, get some rocks, logs, etc and weight it down.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 04-22-2016 at 14:29.

Journal Entries
    Images

I have 4 MSR Carbon Core stakes that I use for my tent body, but I use MSR Groundhogs for the fly. No telling what system I'll use when I get my TT Double Rainbow, but I am looking at getting some Ti shepherd hook stakes.
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

To remove those stakes try nudging them with your boot first.

Where the top cap of the stakes are (suposed to be) glued on drill a small hole (3mm) through the stake that also goes through the aluminum top and then add some bright colored 2.5 cordage through for pulls. I believe the next gen of stakes now come like this. My first set of stakes did not come with pulls and they forgot to glue the aluminum caps on; I contacted them and they quickly sent me a second set that has bright cordage pulls and have worked perfectly. I bring 2 groundhogs and the rest of my stakes are carbon and have had zero issues over the last year. I use the groundhogs to make holes if the ground is silly hard, frozen, or rocky and then insert the carbon pegs; once every thing is in I use the two groundhogs for my ridgeline for a little extra strength.

I use Litesmith stakes. New company. 6g stakes with cordage. They feel and have performed very well.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++