WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Default Human Trail Pigs

This thread is in Dishonor of all the trail pigs who have left our trails and forests trashed and blighted. This includes both dayhikers and backpackers. Other photos are welcomed.

I found this wonderful Fir tree girdled on the BMT by a guy named LEVI.

Redneck detritus on the Horse Cove trail in NC.

A discarded redneck pig tarp on Slickrock Creek.

Furniture and crap left on the Snowbird Creek trail.

Lawn chairs and tarp crap left on a trail in NC.

In honor of Earth Day 2016 and left by some clueless woman in the Bald River wilderness of TN.

There are a group of diehard Linville Gorge hikers and backpackers who call these kind of people "Goats"---tourists---who drive out and park and leave their messes in the gorge, so I have to include this video I found today about such behavior---

I've been hauling out other people's trash since seeing my dad pick up other folk's cigarette butts white hunting when I was about 9.
    My kids all carry trash bags when they hike.
    We police the Birches on our way out of Baxter every visit, and again at the end of each season.
    We've cleaned up hundreds of pounds of thru-hiker trash from that site alone. Thanks, "angels'!
    But it's the vandalism that really bugs me, like the Superman logo hacked into the Katahdin summit sign, and the swastikas made from the x on Baxter Park signs.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

I would love absolutely love meeting a guy named Levi with a Tipi scar tattooed on his arm asking the story how he got the tat. At the end I'd say serves you right.

Those plastic tampon applicators, usually pink though, litter some beaches, usually accompanied by all sorts of pieces of wrappers, elastic hair bungees, cigarette butts, especially the nasty filters, single handed dental floss picks, and aluminum can pull tabs. Yeah, it's the guys and gals that can be pigs. Eeek. Eh. Ahh. Ughh.

I expect my pink and blue, his and hers, Anniversary Edition folding let's get drunk and enjoy the great outdoors chairs and the stolen milk crate luggage slash let's roll up a spliffy on it beer can table to still be there when I return in six months.

What, no leftover burnt Spaghetti O's in the fire ring? Where's the left behind clothes line?

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Yeah, the woods are full of pigs. So is the rest of the world. I was at Costco, and a little kid in the shopping cart unwrapped her candy and tossed the wrapper on the floor. No comments from Mom or Dad, and when I commented, Mom told me to eff off. Teach your children well.

The civilized will likely pick up after the uncivilized for generations to come. I bring a trash bag and pick up what I dare, but sometimes the best I can do is bury the $#!% that's left behind.

Tipi, if you find a tent pole on Nichols Cove trail in Slickrock creek wilderness...I'm sorry!!! I lost it last weekend, maybe when climbing over some blowdown that was lying over the creek. I swear I turned around to look for it but couldn't find it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    This thread is in Dishonor of all the trail pigs who have left our trails and forests trashed and blighted. This includes both dayhikers and backpackers. Other photos are welcomed.

I found this wonderful Fir tree girdled on the BMT by a guy named LEVI.
    ...in pig Latin him called Evil.

Images

Tipi, if you find a tent pole on Nichols Cove trail in Slickrock creek wilderness...I'm sorry!!! I lost it last weekend,

i think losing something and deliberately leaving trash behind, is a big difference....

after all, you didnt mean to leave your mark while the people in these photos did...........

Quote Originally Posted by Traffic Jam View Post
    Tipi, if you find a tent pole on Nichols Cove trail in Slickrock creek wilderness...I'm sorry!!! I lost it last weekend, maybe when climbing over some blowdown that was lying over the creek. I swear I turned around to look for it but couldn't find it.
    I do not consider lost items as pig trash, plus anything lost in the Slickrock I regard as ripped off by Miss Nature including swinging appendages and other minor organs. She takes what she wants, we only have to gleefully hike thru her briar walls, blowdowns, collapsed rhodo hells and sawbriar thickets.

It oddly makes me feel good to see trails eat people's gear while they run out screaming or mumbling in a daze. Not saying Traffic Jam got jammed by Momma nature in any way, he just had a normal encounter with the Nichols Cove trail.

One question though: How did you manage to lose one tent pole?? And/or not the tent?

I found these glove on the BMT above Hangover Mt on a very cold day of hiking. Discarded? Ripped off my Miss Nature with the hands still inside?? I left them as they were.

Found this on the upper Slickrock Nutbuster trail (hardest in the southeast?) and pulled off by Miss Nature's daughter---Hysteria.

Another trip on the Nutbuster trail---a broken tent pole and one sock (no foot inside). Also a good example as what eventually happens to all cork-handled hiking poles.

But, what if someone that comes after you could maybe use that used tarp or those camp chairs?
    And, if I go back again, it saves me having to carry all that stuff all that way again.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    I do not consider lost items as pig trash, plus anything lost in the Slickrock I regard as ripped off by Miss Nature including swinging appendages and other minor organs. She takes what she wants, we only have to gleefully hike thru her briar walls, blowdowns, collapsed rhodo hells and sawbriar thickets.

It oddly makes me feel good to see trails eat people's gear while they run out screaming or mumbling in a daze. Not saying Traffic Jam got jammed by Momma nature in any way, he just had a normal encounter with the Nichols Cove trail.

One question though: How did you manage to lose one tent pole?? And/or not
    I have two aluminum tent poles that fold to 11". They stay in the side pocket of my pack and together with a hair band. I had to use the hair band (I'm a she not a he) and maybe snagged the poles when I was climbing over blowdowns and grabbing roots to pull me up the creek bank. I looked and never found the pole. But it could have happened anywhere on that trail as it was a bit difficult to follow and I had to backtrack several times. I followed the trail by process of elimination...if I couldn't go any further because of "blowdowns, collapsed rhodo hells and sawbriar thickets" (perfect description), I went a different way until I found something that looked like a trail. If I screamed, it's from being pissed that I have to buy a new pole.

excuse me..."tied together with a hair band".

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

I live on CT which had a full fireban on the A.T., yet I still come across and dismantle haphazard fire rings onfe or twice a year. Usually they are made in the middle of an ideal tent spot.

image.jpg
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

I have thought a lot about an AT shaming website for anyone to post pics on. Being a LEO I have to admit that I do appreciate a bit of mediated vigilantism. Nothing wrong with calling a dirtbag a dirtbag.

Images

I had to use the hair band (I'm a she not a he)

hey.....some of us "he s" have to use a hair band..... :P

in fact, i think tipi still has a ponytail of sorts.......

"Of sorts . . ." Most of my manly high testosterone head-hair growth has disappeared into the swirling archive bin of time. Partly by using rubber bands instead of hair ties.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Excellent vids. Bill Burr fits right into the conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by nsherry61 View Post
    But, what if someone that comes after you could maybe use that used tarp or those camp chairs?
    And, if I go back again, it saves me having to carry all that stuff all that way again.
    I didn't put this in the humor section but that's pretty funny.

Images

Another Gorge Rat Production (Fighting Litter ... the Gorge Rat way! ) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Lmu24B1X6k

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye View Post
    Yeah, the woods are full of pigs. So is the rest of the world. I was at Costco, and a little kid in the shopping cart unwrapped her candy and tossed the wrapper on the floor. No comments from Mom or Dad, and when I commented, Mom told me to eff off. Teach your children well.
    Fine upstanding parents. Doesn't it make you want to go all "Impractical Jokers" on them?

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++