WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I thought of you when I read Prof Tim Noakes "Idiots guide to LCHF and banting" which you can find on the web.

He says "A healthy high-protein diet for humans doesn’t exist. If your diet was 100% protein, you’d get sick and die."

Again there's no need to raise protein intake above 15-20%, and you can generally do that with food.

As usual, the vegans are coming out of the woodwork to attack meat eating. Don't listen, just consider the source: a diet based on left-wing politics. Why not base your diet in 2.5 million years of healthy eating?

One of the things I try to be careful about is the L - argenine vs L - lysine content. Years of battling cold sores and online research has taught me that L - argenine intake can bring on cold sores, while L - lysine consumption tends to suppress the chance of a breakout.
    Many of these protein powders have some of both amino acids, but the pea powder was higher in Argenine than Lysine. The whey protein powders I looked at in the health food store were much higher in Lysine than Argenine.
    Anyone who suffers from cold sores' southern cousin (iykwim) can also benefit from increasing Lysine and reducing Argenine.
    As I said in my initial post, I'm not anti-vegan, but in this case it is not a viable option for me.

279.6 Miler (Tanyard Gap) CamelMan's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by RockDoc View Post
    Don't listen, just consider the source: a diet based on left-wing politics.
    Then do some research. Greger doesn't conduct the studies, he merely reports what the vegan conspiracy tells him. Lots of the stuff is available as full text on PubMed and anyone can fact check it for themselves.

Do you know anybody more annoying than vegans? We were put on Earth to spoil your BBQ--and good riddance! However, not everybody is vegan for ethical reasons, and ethical reasons are not political ones. I would be vegan for health reasons regardless of the ethics, and neither of those things has anything to do with my left-wing politics except that it's a convenient fit if somebody cares about the planet and human life, as well as animals.

Protein "needs" are going to depend on what you're doing. The RDA is only 0.8g/kg but nitrogen balance studies show that people engaged in strength or endurance activities can utilize more.
    Last edited by CamelMan; 05-01-2016 at 08:47.

Journal Entries
    Images

Why not base your diet in 2.5 million years of healthy eating?
    Well, besides the fact that it begs the question that what they ate was healthy and not just easier to get, or what they ate to begin with, I still hope I can do better than a cave man.

Btw I just finished Noakes' book, Waterlogged. It's a great read, if there were a Pulitzer for science writing it should be in the running. Towards the end he does suggest the idea of a "fat adapted athlete" so I'll try to find the article you mentioned.
    Last edited by CamelMan; 05-01-2016 at 09:09.

Let's try to stay on topic.
    I don't want to see this wonderful HIKING forum turn into a vegan vs omnivores battleground. That argument can be almost as bad as politics or religion arguments.

Journal Entries
    Images

Yeah, true, sorry.

The Lewis & Clark Expedition proved that living exclusively on a diet of elk, venison and bison was most unhealthy.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

I thought of you when I read Prof Tim Noakes "Idiots guide to LCHF and banting" which you can find on the web.

He says "A healthy high-protein diet for humans doesn’t exist. If your diet was 100% protein, you’d get sick and die."

Again there's no need to raise protein intake above 15-20%, and you can generally do that with food.

As usual, the vegans are coming out of the woodwork to attack meat eating. Don't listen, just consider the source: a diet based on left-wing politics. Why not base your diet in 2.5 million years of healthy eating?
    Was on board with this post up until you alienated all the Vegans/vegetarians as left wing. Umm, you do know Hindus, Buddhist, followers of Judaism,... North Africans, Indians, Chinese, Japanese, Israelis, Taiwanese, Filipinos, Austrians, Swedes, Australians, Brazilians,......have measurable populations of vegetarians/Vegans?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vegetarianism_by_country

Oh sorry Wikipedia is a left wing site.

As CamelMan says people's dietary choices extend far beyond political reasons. Dietary choices are not really a political issue and this comment is not about politics.

NaturesPlus Pea Protein:
    A 20 gram serving has 15 grams of protein. How's that for efficiency on the trail?

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

I have directly observed the dietary practices of two endurance athletes: one a senior men's cyclist and one a "fitness" walker that walked more than a marathon practically every day. If he had "zero" days, I did not see that. I know the bicyclist had "zero" days and a schedule he had to "peak" for a race.

Their dietary practice was measured, as you describe.

The cyclist had home-made yoghurt, in addition to fruit, grains and his protein powders. He also used brewer's yeast. I saw him use it with popcorn.

The marathoner had seeds, nuts, and fruit. I never saw him have protein powders or yoghurt, or anything else. He varied the "mix" but he seemed to only have the bag of the "mix" he had made each time I saw him.

I did not see either one have eggs or avocados.

I cannot vouch for their food dietary practices, then, because I did not see all of it.

However, both were at the top of their sport, fit, and apparently in good health.

I have no other comment, other than to say an endurance athlete decidedly has a different dietary practice.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++