Default First Solo Trip - Suggestions for 3-4 Day Hike Southern AT

I posted this on another board, but thought I would get some input from other women.

I am taking the plunge and going on my first solo backpacking trip! I would like to go on the AT in mid-October and need some suggestions on where to go. I am looking at either Georgia, North Carolina or Virginia but am open to other places. I would be driving from the Chicago area, so I would like to find a place to stay overnight and be shuttled to the starting point of my hike the next morning, and then spend the next 3-4 days hiking back. I am not sure yet of my average miles per day yet, but for now I am thinking about 10 miles/day. Ideally, I am looking for an area that has campsite flexibility (not limited to only staying at shelters), and is not too crowded. Some nice views/scenery and not having to carry a day’s worth of water would also be a plus.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Google Woods Hole Hostel near Pearisburg VA. Little bit of heaven with reasonable shuttles.

Talking Solo hiking

I really like sticking close to the smoky mountains section. Safe, and enough traffic to not be frightened to be alone. I will be hiking alone in the next week for three days. A bit nervous, but it seems that other women are doing it too.

Quote Originally Posted by redstart View Post
    I posted this on another board, but thought I would get some input from other women.

I am taking the plunge and going on my first solo backpacking trip! I would like to go on the AT in mid-October and need some suggestions on where to go. I am looking at either Georgia, North Carolina or Virginia but am open to other places. I would be driving from the Chicago area, so I would like to find a place to stay overnight and be shuttled to the starting point of my hike the next morning, and then spend the next 3-4 days hiking back. I am not sure yet of my average miles per day yet, but for now I am thinking about 10 miles/day. Ideally, I am looking for an area that has campsite flexibility (not limited to only staying at shelters), and is not too crowded. Some nice views/scenery and not having to carry a day’s worth of water would also be a plus.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Hey DonnaZ. I will also be hiking alone in the Smokies next week. Maybe I will see you out there!
    Some people take the straight and narrow. Others the road less traveled. I just cut through the woods.

++ New Posts ++