WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default New to hammock camping

I haven't used my hammock for camping yet. I am going to hike the GA section of the AT in mid-june and I want to take my hammock instead using a tent. I already have a ENO singlenest hammock and I plan on purchasing the ENO housefly rain tarp. My question is, will I need an under quilt or top quilt in June? Or do I just take the hammock and tarp?

Welcome aboard, Daniel. You can find a lot of answers for your questions at hammockforums.net. That being said, generally speaking most people find they need some kind of under-insulation, either and UQ or pad, when it falls below 70F overnight. The higher elevations might hit those temps.

A good way to start would be overnight in your back yard, and see how you do in the temperature ranges that you might expect to see on the AT at those elevations. If you're a cold sleeper, you'll find you want something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journal Entries
    Images

Go to AutoZone and pick up the biggest windshield reflector they have. It'll only be about $10. Unfold it, throw it in the hammock with your sleeping bag on top of it. That should do a pretty good job for June in Georgia. Get the bug net, too. Try it out at home before you hit the trail like CaptainCoupal said. Happy hangin'.

Images

Go with a 40 degree UQ in higher elevations if you think you might get cold. If you need to get one REI has a 40 degree ENO UQ for $99 .

I have slept w/o an UQ with temps into the 20's with only a insulating pad. I sleep on my back in a hammock so it worked for me. If you thrash about in a hammock your down pad will slide around, leaving you exposed underneath. Also if your a cold sleeper then I'd recommend the above mentioned UQ to compliment your sleeping insulating pad.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

I don't think I will get cold. I just got back from the Smokies and I got hot both nights (45Degrees). I had to unzip my bag most of the way just to stay cool. I was looking at the ENO 40 degree UQ, I may go with that. You mentioned using a sleeping bag also? With the UQ will it be needed? I didn't think you used sleeping bags with hammocks. Like I said im new to camping with hammocks, I mainly just use mine in the backyard while the kids are playing.

When you use a sleeping bag in a hammock the insulation underneath you gets squished and holds little to no air. The air pockets in insulation are what makes it insulate and keep you warm - so to answer your question, yes, you will most likely still need insulation in the hammock even if you're using a sleeping bag. There's also the "bridge freezes before road surface" analogy - you have cold air going all around you in a hammock so it's colder than if you were sleeping on an insulated air mattress like you do when tent camping.

I would suggest the Arrowhead Equipment Jarbidge River Underquilt 3-season if you're going to spend $100. Worlds better quality than the Eno (just like how an equivalent $32 Dutch hammock will be tons more comfortable, and lighter, than a $70+ Eno hammock). Don't forget to get a piece of CCW (closed cell foam) to keep your feet warm (the Jarbidge is a 3/4 length underquilt).

Quote Originally Posted by Dochartaigh View Post
    When you use a sleeping bag in a hammock the insulation underneath you gets squished and holds little to no air. The air pockets in insulation are what makes it insulate and keep you warm - so to answer your question, yes, you will most likely still need insulation in the hammock even if you're using a sleeping bag. .
    I meant with the UQ do I still use a sleeping bag?

Also, Thank you for all the info!

It really depends on how you sleep. My first night in a hammock, was on the Buffalo National River. It was around 70 when we turned in at 10PM . I laid there, getting colder. I had NOT deployed my UQ. I only had my TQ. By midnight, it was down to 60 with the coolness off the river.... I had to get up, get my headlight on, find the UQ and deploy it. Since then, I always deploy the UQ (or use a pad if you wish). Then, within the hammock, I'll have whatever TQ I think, perhaps a sleeping bag liner. It is much easier to mess around in the hammock, adding the TQ, tossing it off, slipping into the liner and such. It is a bummer to have to get up to put on the UQ. SO, it will really depend all on how you sleep.
    For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

Quote Originally Posted by danieldlt31 View Post
    I meant with the UQ do I still use a sleeping bag?
    Yes. You still need insulation for the top of you which isn't covered by the underquilt (which is under you). For that top insulation people commonly use top quilts in a hammock to save weight since you don't need the bottom half of a sleeping bag – but a sleeping bag is perfectly fine to use as well.

Images

Shugs videos a great help

Shrugs videos are the best!

When I got into hammock camping, I already had a big Agnes 15* bag w/ a thermorest self inflating pad for the pocket. The BA only has down on top. I still use only that. The combo keeps me plenty warm enough in spring weather, w/ no additions, I sometimes have to vent the top to cool off.

When it drops to the 40*s, I add a piece of reflectix insulation below my feet and my jacket at my shoulders.

charlotte

There are a few variables that make this harder to answer. 1. how much do you move around in your sleep? 2. what kind of sleeping bag are you using? 3. What kind of pad? 4. How cold natured are you? I've read a lot of people here who are talking in absolutes that don't always apply. I hiked Shenandoah NP last June with a 45 degree bag in a hennessee hammock (with a birth canal) with no under quilt and did fine. I used an older inflatable thermarest pad (the orange and gray skinny kind). I am not cold natured. It was in the forties at night. I don't move much in my sleep. When my elbows touched the area off of the pad it was cold, so I wore my fleece to compensate. I had a short pad, so when my feet got cold from laying on the area without the pad I put my extra clothes sack under them. After figuring out the cold spots it was fine. This summer Im going to take my longer pad so I wont have to rely on the clothes sack to keep my feet warm. One more variable, if you are not concerned about weight and extra stuff to keep up with, you might get an under quilt for the summer, but you don't have to have one. Haggis

I was up close to Blood Mnt at a place call Track Rock. I used a Sub7 Hammock, Closed Cell Pad, and a sleeping bag. Even with the rain that we had in North Ga it all worked out great and I slept totally fine. I will get a UQ but in time for now just using what I have. UQ is on this years Christmas list.

Journal Entries

I only hammock camp. I've spent two nights in my entire life in a tent and I don't really want to repeat them. too stuffy and I don't like walls.

That being said, I am constantly conflicted on the UQ vs CC pad and here's why:

We all know how the trail can be. its the wilderness and unpredictable. I don't like being bound to the trees anymore than I like being bound to the ground (hey I like how that sounds) but, with using the CCpad method, I can easily go to ground if need be. I lay the pad down, stake the hammock out on the ground to make a bivvy of sorts and use my hiking pole and a tree or whatever to make my tarp into a tarp tent. I don't sleep as well as when suspended but, I do have the flexibility. If you go strictly UQ, how are you going to keep your expensive down and thin materials off the ground?

Maybe someone else has a better answer but, but this is why I have not gone over to UQs completely. Are they nice? heck yeah! Are they comfy? you bet!

Another site you might want to check out is hammockhangers.net
    Maintainer of the Unofficial Trail GPS Map Page(Updated 3-8-16) Now updated with the Florida Trail, Lone Star Hiking Trail, Arizona Trail, and Appalachian Trail.

++ New Posts ++