WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy of PA View Post
    The Sawyer stuff says do not use on underwear. I use it on all outer clothes and my pack since it comes into the tent at night.

1% permethrin creme is used for lice and scabies and .......crabs. FDA says its OK to rub all over your head and genitals.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 04-28-2016 at 09:06.

Quote Originally Posted by burger View Post
    ...I do not understand the point of poisoning every bug that lands on your tent. If a butterfly lands on your permethrin-soaked tent, it's dead, too. Meanwhile, assuming you have closed up your tent, nothing can get in. Seriously, why the hell do people bother going to the woods during bug season if they are so freaked out by bugs that they have to kill everything that's even buzzing around their tent? Are people really that afraid that they might get a bite or two when they climb out of the tent? Pathetic. I have pulled countless ticks off myself but have never seen one on my tent or backpack (I have seen plenty of butterflies and other harmless bugs landing on my gear).
    are you even serious dude? do you even know of the diseases that a tick transmits? on the scale of important worldly things I put my health and well-being way over that of a butterfly...

I sprayed most of my clothing with Permethrin a few weeks ago. I vaguely remember there was something on the container about not putting treated clothing in the dryer. Which I promply forgot when I had to get off the trail for a family crisis situation. Now I'm looking at how to at least get in some hiking and can't remember anything about this. Having washed and machine dried my clothes a few times, does anyone know if they are still good or if I need to treat them again?

CDT - 2013, PCT - 2009, AT - 1300 miles done burger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Secondmouse View Post
    are you even serious dude? do you even know of the diseases that a tick transmits? on the scale of important worldly things I put my health and well-being way over that of a butterfly...
    Lighten up, dude. You make it sound like a tick bite is a death sentence. Lyme is 100% treatable if caught early (I've had it).

Put it on everything. We did it with a spray bottle from Home Depot. Soak it down and then let it dry. Tent, pack, hats, pants, shirts, everything except underclothes. Worked great in Maine in June-July.

The stuff is dry and exposure time is brief. It's not like you are gonna drink the stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by RockDoc View Post
    Put it on everything. We did it with a spray bottle from Home Depot. Soak it down and then let it dry. Tent, pack, hats, pants, shirts, everything except underclothes. Worked great in Maine in June-July.

The stuff is dry and exposure time is brief. It's not like you are gonna drink the stuff.
    LOL, this from a hiker that preaches sugar is poison.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Quote Originally Posted by burger View Post
    Lighten up, dude. You make it sound like a tick bite is a death sentence. Lyme is 100% treatable if caught early (I've had it).
    yeah, because contacting an avoidable disease which is difficult to diagnose, and requires expensive ongoing treatments, as well as an investment of personal time, as well as the potential to advance to chronic stage that impacts your heart, joints, nervous and immune systems, causes severe joint and debilitating chest pain, irregular heart beats, sleeplessness, anxiety, insomnia, fatigue, and potential for onset of rheumatoid arthritis is MUCH MORE preferable, than perchance an innocent butterfly should pass anon...

but you are right, it it 100% TREATABLE. it's just not 100% CURABLE...

studies show researchers were still able to grow live borrelia bacteria out of the participants’ bloodeven after the prolonged antibiotic treatment!

so guess what? even though you don't have symptoms any more, you're a carrier!!! you and your spouse planning on having a family? well, ticks aren't the only way to get the disease...

think about that while your child is experiencing symptoms of Autism, Multiple Sclerosis, Epilepsy, Psoriasis, Parkinsons, Migraines, Bipolar Disorder, Crohn's Disease, or Fibromyalgia, etc., etc....

oh yeah, that Lyme Disease is SUCH a walk in the park. forgive me for not being chill. certainly that butterfly has as much, nay, even more right than I to enjoy its existence.

keep smokin' that smoke dude. I'm going outside right now to dump some Ortho on a couple fire-ant hills and reset my mouse traps...

I want to apologize for the sarcastic tone of my post above but I don't think Lyme Disease is anything to sarcastically dismiss either. just today there is an article in Daily Mail.UK about the disease and repeats all the warnings, etc..

I'm not trying to sow fear of this to reduce or limit people's enjoyment of the outdoors, but rather to alert them to precautions you can and should take. sorry if I offended anyone...

Journal Entries
    Images

I was just gonna say "tell us how you really feel"

Quote Originally Posted by Secondmouse View Post
    I want to apologize for the sarcastic tone of my post above but I don't think Lyme Disease is anything to sarcastically dismiss either. just today there is an article in Daily Mail.UK about the disease and repeats all the warnings, etc..

I'm not trying to sow fear of this to reduce or limit people's enjoyment of the outdoors, but rather to alert them to precautions you can and should take. sorry if I offended anyone...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++