WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Looking for viewpoints

Hi Guys

I'm new to this forum and this is my first post. I'm currently planning a NOBO hike in 2017 and am starting to get together my pack list opinions. I haven't completed my list so far but was hoping some people could give me there early viewpoints and whether im missing some obvious weight saving options. Im currently aiming for a 10-15lb base weight. I know i could save weight in the area of water filtration but other than that im not sure. Im not looking for the cheapest options more the best/ sensible options.

https://lighterpack.com/r/7lm0

Thanks

Journal Entries
    Images

Welcome, NGO! I'm not one of the resident experts on lightweight gear, but I did want to say howdy since it's your first post. You're about to get...scads of good advice and help.

I use a Sawyer squeeze . Your list is not complete. But I am sure u know that .

Images

I would go thru the medical kit, way heavy compared to my homemade in a little ziplock. Headlight is up there too. I use the Petzl e+lite under an oz. Little things sure can add up.

Second the Medkit. Usually the band aids don't stick, the tape doesn't stick, and there is not enough pain killers and no anti-diarrheal. Buy some Leuko-tape if you are prone to blisters. Stuff stays stuck on for days. A full roll is kind of heavy. Good bounce box item, though. I really shouldn't judge though. My home-made FAK is about a pound, waaaay too heavy. Inertia is keeping me from going through it and lightening the load. I keep thinking I will use it and it will weigh less. I don't use it enough to justify all the weight.

You do have some first rate, and expensive, gear.

I hope you have more clothes. I didn't see any pants besides the boxer shorts. Otherwise very nice list.

Cool spread sheet. Might you want a pillow? Tyvec for under your tent?

The battery pack is heavy. I have just a phone ( not smart ) In civilization it last almost a week. In the sticks with spotty service it lasts a day. I usually turn it off.
    I don't know your situation, and needs as far as keeping in touch.

I was bringing sports water shoes for fording and puddles ( really light, could use them for camp shoes, in a pinch walk a few miles, or when socks are drying ) I was thinking about bringing my Chaco sandals, but they are heavy. The salesman said ( ? ) he hiked the Grand Canyon in Chacos ( ? ). Still I worry about a stubbed toe, and getting hooked on roots and rocks

It seems like people are bringing foam pad and air matttress

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

I prefer an alcohol stove, personally - lighter, cleaner, quicker.
    Second the motion on the too-heavy FAK
    Filter is way heavy - I suggest an AquaMira filter bottle. About 6 oz, easily replaceable filters.https://www.mcnett.com/aquamira/wate...e-filter#42150
    If you're satisfied with a half-liter pot, OK, but that's not enough for the meals I prepare.
    Ditto on the power pack - just charge up while in town.

Journal Entries
    Images

This is my .02 but im no expert either.
    Cooking.
    I would trade the matches for two mini bics,one for reserve in the event one gets wet..
    The stove can be alot lighter if you switched to an alcohol stove such as zelphs fancee feast version.
    But then you would have to carry more alcohol(consumable weight)
    Shelter.
    You could shave some weight off of your shelter but that is a really nice set up.
    Water
    You could save a pound by switching to a sawyer mini or squeeze.
    Electronics
    Your anker portable could be lighter but it is still good,(my 20000 mah weighs in at 7 ounce but it is not an anker)
    Hygeine
    The med kit can defiantly be cut way down if you eliminate the stuff you wont need.

Anyway thats my .02 ,It is a really nice list though and hopefully see you on the trail next year.

My best recommendation for a water system for someone starting out. It's also my favorite after years of hiking and trying everything.

2x 1L SmartWater Bottles
    1 2L Evernew Collapsible Water Bag
    Sawyer full size squeeze

I find this the lightest, most versatile, cheapest, and convenient solution to my water needs on a long hike. If more capacity is needed. One can add a third water bottle or pick up a smaller collapsible bag.

Even though your shelter is on the heavy side for being made of cuben. It's super nice and i'm jealous.

I'm a wood burner myself. However, on a 6 month hike, you probably will not have the motivation or will power to gather wood and start a fire for every meal (that's if you cook often, once a day is often). At times, just boiling some water can seem like a chore. I use a trail designs ti-tri and bring the wood/alcohol setup. I believe zelph makes a compatible alcohol stove for your wood burner and I would suggest bringing that and a 4oz fuel container. Those days your super lazy you'll appreciate firing up the alcohol stove. I'm a dedicated wood burner, and find this method as a good balance.

Furthermore, I agree with most that a burly knife isn't that important to a thru-hiker. However, I have found that as a dedicated wood burner for cooking, I started bringing something a little more trustworthy than my little Swiss Army or Gerber Ultralight folders. I know mainly carry a Morakniv 2/0. It's tiny, light (less than 2oz), inexpensive, and much more substantial.

A mini-bic lighter is a must have for every thru-hiker.

You'll probably want to pick up AWOL's guide or download it to your phone.

Golden rule of thumb for medkits, if you don't know how to properly use it, it shouldn't be in your kit. As strange as it sounds, the more I hike, the lighter and smaller mine gets. It's less than 2 ounces now, but I still am afraid to let go of some items even though I've never even remotely needed to think about using them in my years of hiking.

That's it for now, have fun

Journal Entries

I'm a "clueless weekender" who has only backpacked about 1,300 miles/2,100 K, doing so during trips of no more than 2 1/2 weeks each. But, some of what I've learned hiking intermittently since 1972 might nonetheless be useful to you.

I'm wondering, will your list include enough clothing to keep you warm, even when you are wet at times after making your 2017 early spring NOBO start. Others with more experience might address that better than I could. Obviously, it also matters what clothing you will be wearing when you start out.

I do not have any experience with the 20 oz. quilt that is on your list. But, frankly, I doubt that a quilt or sleeping bag, no matter how high quality, pricey and hyped it is, will be warm enough for you during the early part of your hike. Can any 20 oz. quilt or sleeping bag, even with the highest quality down, and everything else optimal (dry, clothing worn, insulating pad, sheltered) , actually keep a person warm down to freezing, or colder?

I'm sufficiently 'old school' to enjoy cooking with wood fires sometimes while backpacking here in the eastern USA. Along the AT (and elsewhere) many shelters have fire rings as do some previously used campsites. So, when it is not raining, and I am not excessively tired or pressed for time, if a fire ring already exists somewhere I may make use of it. Finding wood for small cooking fires is usually very easy. However, if that wood has been soaked recently by rain, getting it to burn can be very challenging. So, these days I often use alcohol as my cooking fuel.

In post #10 Fastfoxengineering gives you good stove advse. He suggests that you plan to burn some alcohol during your journey instead of anticipating only using wood. Or, you could take a small alcohol stove (with fuel) and leave your wood burner at home. While doing so you could, if you desire, still cook with wood at times,making use of established fire rings.

"If you're satisfied with a half-liter pot, OK, but that's not enough for the meals I prepare." I heartily agree with this quote from Deadeye. You can't get very much food and water into a half liter pot or mug. And, I personally prefer using both a one liter pot, for my evening meal, and separately for hot drinks, a 1/2 liter cheap aluminum cup.

Concerning pack towels, there have been two school of thought expressed here on White Blaze. Some posters recommend leaving them at home. Others, including me, find them very useful both for hygiene purposes and as a means of removing water from shelters. Rain and condensed water vapor occasionally penetrate even good quality shelters such as my Tarptent. When that happens I appreciate having my "piece of pack towel" with me. I think vendors make pack towels considerably larger than they need to be. So, I have cut my pack towel in half. My "cut down" pack towel retains its original length while only being half as as wide. Your new pack towel is now very light, but its weight will increase when you use it. It's not possible to squeeze all of the moisture out of those towels, nor in my experience do they necessarily dry out quickly.

I am just a hack at this backpacking thing but...

with just a quick glance, looks pretty good but looks as if you are still building up the list. If you have not already committed to the items you posted you can shave substantial oz's with a lighter pack, lighter shelter, and water filtration system. Sawyer squeeze filter- I use two 1 liter platypus bottles and a platypus 2 liter dirty bag, Zpacks backpack at 22oz, Zpacks soloplus w groundsheet guylines and stakes is only 20oz. I think just these items will shave over 2lbs (thats alot of food!).

Some nice kit. Agree with lightening up on water treatment and medical. A cathole trowel would be a recommended addition.

Did you change the shelter on your list since I posted or am I loosing my mind?

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by QiWiz View Post
    A cathole trowel would be a recommended addition.
    I wonder where he could get one from?

Quote Originally Posted by QiWiz View Post
    A cathole trowel would be a recommended addition.
    I dug some sweet holes with mine last week

Images

Others hits the easy items, med kit and water filter. I would reco looking at the tiny Swiss Army knives, I ended up using the little scissors more than the blade. Would replace marches with lighter, unless I kissed that. You could shave a few oz. off the pad but overall your sleep systems looks fine. As does your shelter.

With a few tweaks you have a good lightweight system. To push it further will require replacement of items that you probably love like your pack. I wouldn't head there but would recommend putting this gear to use as much as possible before your thru. Welcome to WB.
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    Others hits the easy items, med kit and water filter. I would reco looking at the tiny Swiss Army knives, I ended up using the little scissors more than the blade. Would replace marches with lighter, unless I kissed that. You could shave a few oz. off the pad but overall your sleep systems looks fine. As does your shelter.

With a few tweaks you have a good lightweight system. To push it further will require replacement of items that you probably love like your pack. I wouldn't head there but would recommend putting this gear to use as much as possible before your thru. Welcome to WB.
    Wow, how about "matches with lighter unless I missed that"
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

I don't bother with a knife.

I carry a "milk bag cutter" for difficult packaging. I carry Trim brand nail clippers and Trim scissors to do it all, if hiking for more than a few days, to keep fingernails and toenails trim.

I use to carry a knife, different models, until I finally realized I never used a knife while hiking and camping. If car camping, or a Rest Stop break for food and a nap, I use the same utensils as at home.

The only things I can suggest from the list are taking 2 mini Bic's instead of matches (in case 1 gets wet, punctured, etc you still have a viable source for a fire starter), swap the filter to a Sawyer Squeeze or Mini (much lighter), and I used 2 razor blades for cutting packaging open, cutting food, parachord, etc... (didn't see the need or have a real use for a knife).
    - Trail name: Thumper

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++