WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Images

Question CT & MA last two weeks of May 2016?

CT & MA last two weeks of May 2016?

I am attending my daughter's grad school graduation in Boston on May 14. My plan after that is to get to Kent, CT somehow (where I finished a section hike last June) and begin hiking NOBO from Kent on Monday or Tuesday May 16 or 17. I have a couple of folks signed up to accompany me for all or some of my hike. I may stay on the trail long enough to reach the MA/VT border. At 12 mpd average, that will take me about 12 days, especially if I throw in a zero day.

So, questions:

>How to get from Boston to Kent via public transportation and/or private shuttle?

>Bugs? I hear a lot about black flies, but last year about this same time we had no problems with any bugs from Bear Mtn, NY to Kent. I use Permethrin and Picaridin and maybe DEET.

>Towns, shelters, restaurants, other places of note or not to miss (or to avoid)? I like good hostels and good restaurants to break up section hikes.

>Other issues I wouldn't even think to ask about?

>Transportation to an airport to fly back to Nashville? I'm thinking Albany, NY or Hartford, CT as perhaps options?

>Anyone want to come out and hike with me/us, help shuttle, or join for a meal just for fun? Other?

I hope to post a proposed daily schedule, but am waiting first to hear from the two women signed up to hike with me.

I hammock hang and have completed the AT from GA to CT, plus all of NH and a chunk of southern ME.

I thank everyone in advance for any info, hints, suggestions, and advice!
    Last edited by Rain Man; 04-27-2016 at 11:18.
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    CT & MA last two weeks of May 2016?

I am attending my daughter's grad school graduation in Boston on May 14. My plan after that is to get to Kent, CT somehow (where I finished a section hike last June) and begin hiking NOBO from Kent on Monday or Tuesday May 16 or 17. I have a couple of folks signed up to accompany me for all or some of my hike. I may stay on the trail long enough to reach the MA/VT border. At 12 mpd average, that will take me about 12 days, especially if I throw in a zero day.

So, questions:

>How to get from Boston to Kent via public transportation and/or private shuttle?

>Bugs? I hear a lot about black flies, but last year about this same time we had no problems with any bugs from Bear Mtn, NY to Kent. I use Permethrin and Picaridin and maybe DEET.

>Towns, shelters, restaurants, other places of note or not to miss (or to avoid)? I like good hostels and good restaurants to break up section hikes.

>Other issues I wouldn't even think to ask about?

>Transportation to an airport to fly back to Nashville? I'm thinking Albany, NY or Hartford, CT as perhaps options?

>Anyone want to come out and hike with me/us, help shuttle, or join for a meal just for fun? Other?

I hope to post a proposed daily schedule, but am waiting first to hear from the two women signed up to hike with me.

I hammock hang and have completed the AT from GA to CT, plus all of NH and a chunk of southern ME.

I thank everyone in advance for any info, hints, suggestions, and advice!

Acela (cuts down to the time a bit; more expensive) from South Station, Boston to Penn Station, NY. Fourth from the top in this blog tells you how to get to Grand Central Station from Penn Station better than I could. (A few blocks walking if you feel like it; I've done that many times):

http://wirednewyork.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25362

Take the Metro-North Harlem line (a commuter rail) from Grand Central Station to Wassaic, NY (penultimate stop).

From Wassaic to Kent is about 9 miles. Hitch or take an Uber.

Kent is lovely. You can spend days there. There are falls; town parks; architecture. Numerous restaurants with many types of cuisine. Check out one of CT's last remaining covered bridges. There's also the historical museum, industry-oriented.

Albany to Nashville, no non-stop flights IIRC. I used to fly non-stop from Boston to Nashville, but that's another story and a different airport. A one-way fare will run about $250, and you might have to connect through Atlanta or some other place that will take you out of your way.

Heck, I'd drive you if I had a car! (But I don't.)

Congrats on your daughter. May she always be happy.
    Last edited by Miel; 04-27-2016 at 12:17.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing​ and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there. --Rumi

ETA - Hartford's not so far away, you may get better air fares there.

I don't recall the bug situation as being particularly nasty. I went to overnight camp near there and my oldest brother began his career nearby, so I was in that county a lot, and didn't even think of things like black flies. But overnight camp is a lot different than camping out and hiking a lot.

Enjoy!

Would have maybe joined you Rain Man but I have another adventure planned for that time frame. I know that there is public T once a day at least between Boston and Great Barrington, if that helps at all. Hitching into Boston is probably doable from Lee (right on I-90) or even from North Adams. Albany is closer, at that point, but there's limited traffic along Rte. 2 in that direction.

Images

Welcome to the stompin' grounds!

To try and answer your questions as best I can - the public transportation question is a perennial one for the AT in CT. To the best of my knowledge there is no public transport to any of the trailheads in CT. If it has to be public, and if you're doing MA as well, perhaps consider taking the Peter Pan bus from New Haven (or Springfield, or Pittsfield, or Boston) to Williamstown, MA which marks the northern border of MA and hike south. Then you could take an Uber from Kent to Danbury and figure out transport home from there. (You can also get to other MA stops using the bus but I chose the northern one because it would be the start of your hike not in the middle).

The weather and bugs should not be a challenge at all. This is a gorgeous time to be hiking in this area. You may get some mud in the northern part of MA but I think you would get it all the time anyhow until it freezes. Also it's been a bit on the dry side this spring, not enough I don't suppose to badly impact the water situation by May, but perhaps to cut back on a bit of the mud.

In terms of what not to miss, I hope you can get to Mt. Greylock in MA. It has a bunkroom and a dining room that I bet you would enjoy. There is a great ice cream parlor in Dalton right on the trail! I like the grocery store (forget the name) in Salisbury directly after you climb down Barack Massif. As you are headed into Salisbury usually the Episcopal Church, St. John's, is open for hikers to walk in and reflect.

In terms of my personal favorites in this area, they would include the Silver Hill campsite as you are ending the "river walk" outside Kent, Sages Ravine of course, and Race Mtn. If you feel like a detour when you are heading north into MA, check out Race Brook Falls (on a spur trail). Breathtaking!

And so I am jealous! Have a wonderful time...

Jane

Not to totally side track the thread, but a question for you Jane about Race Brook. I visited that site on the way through that section in a search for a water refill back in our super dry August last year. All I found was a muddy ditch that was supposed to be a stream. I thought there was also supposed to be a spring? Did I just miss it, or is the brook all there is?

Images

Hi Rain Man
    Congratulations on your daughter completeing grad school (which one?), my oldest graduated from, Emerson. I live in MA just west of the I90/AT crossing and may be able to shuttle depending on your shedule. Albany is easier to get to for a departure from NW MA., assuming you end around Pittsfield/north, but Hartford is also doable. Let me know your shuttle needs. If you arrive in Kent late in the day, the Fife and Drum has a great resturant and rooms, hiker rate. Gt. Barrington has all kinds of good resturants, hotels, the Brewery is normally a favorite. You'll most likely hike the lenght of the Berkshires so here is a link to the area. http://berkshires.org/
    Have a great hike.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Migrating Bird View Post
    Congratulations on your daughter completeing grad school (which one?)
    She's my middle daughter, "Grass," whom some on here have heard of since '03. She thru-hiked in '04. Now she's a 2nd Lt. in the Air Force (Reserves) and is a chaplain candidate. Expects to go on active duty. Graduating from Boston University School of Theology.

Thanks for the link, suggestions, and your kind offer. I'll be in touch via PM!
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

Images

Default Tentative first-draft Itinerary

Here is my very tentative first stab at making an itinerary for our hike. Obviously subject to change. Would love to hear suggestions, critique, comments about places to see or stay, etc. Am happy to make adjustments! I consider this a somewhat leisurely schedule as I don't really know the capabilities of my hike companions until we have a day or two on the trail. If we're fast, might add another ZERO day as tourists somewhere (or hike into VT?). If we're slow, might cut out the planned ZERO and/or have a longer last day.

AT CT & MA hike May 2016

Tuesday May 17 - hike 11.1 miles from Kent, CT to Cornwall Bridge, CT (slackpack?) Stay at Bearded Woods One-of-a-Kind Bunk & Dine in Cornwall Bridge?

Wed May 18 - 11.2 miles from Cornwall Bridge, CT to Belters Campsite (or slackpack all the way to Falls Village and stay at Bearded Woods again?)

Thu May 19 - 9.8 mi from Belters Campsite (or Fall Village?) to Salisbury, CT. Stay at Maria McCabe's home?

Fri May 20 - 12.0 mi from Salisbury, CT to Race Brook Falls Campsite. (cross into MA at Sages Ravine)

Sat May 21 - 9.8 mi from Race Brook Falls Campsite to Sheffield, MA (lunch in South Egremont? pass ATC Kellogg Center, Shays Rebellion marker) Stay at Jess Treat's hostel in Sheffield, MA?

Sun May 22 - ZERO Day. Visit Great Barrington, MA? (Bail out point if necessary?)

Mon May 23 - 13.5 mi from Sheffield, MA to Mt. Wilson North Shelters.

Tue May 24 - 14.0 mi from Mt. Wilson North Shelters to Upper Goose Pond Cabin (not open till Memorial Day? sigh)

Wed May 25 - 8.8 mi from Upper Goose Pond Cabin to October Mtn Shelter (or 3 more miles to home of the Cookie Lady?)

Thu May 26 - 11.8 mi from October Mtn Shelter to Dalton, MA

Fri May 27 - 9.3 mi from Dalton, MA to Cheshire, MA

Sat May 28 - 11.2 mi from Cheshire, MA to Wilbur Clearing Shelter (cross Mt. Greylock. possible stay at Bascom Lodge?)

Sun May 29 - 3 mi from Wilbur Clearing Shelter to END at Hwy 2 (Williamstown or North Adams, MA)

Mon May 30 - MEMORIAL DAY - travel to Albany, NY or Hartford, CT (or Newark, NJ?) or other.

Tue May 31 - fly home to Nashville, TN

If I/we travel faster/farther than this, I'd like to go ahead and cross into Vermont. Where is a good place to get off the trail as early as possible in Vermont for transportation to Albany/Hartford/other?
    Last edited by Rain Man; 04-28-2016 at 09:57. Reason: correct typos

Where is a good place to get off the trail as early as possible in Vermont for transportation to Albany/Hartford/other?

Bennington.
    "It goes to show you never can tell." - Charles Edward Anderson Berry

Quote Originally Posted by Old Grouse View Post
    Where is a good place to get off the trail as early as possible in Vermont for transportation to Albany/Hartford/other?

Bennington.
    It would seem, the further north you go, the hard it would be. So, maybe Rutland (Rte. 4.) All roads westward from the trail will lead to Rte. 7 which runs along the western edge of Vermont. If you follow 7 south long enough you end up in Albany, or at least Troy.

Images

Okay my only immediate feedback on this plan is that Belter's campsite (outside Falls Village) is, IMO, kinda yucky. It's virtually directly on a busy road and you'll have headlights and car noise all night long. If you skipped it, now this would push you maybe a day ahead on your plan but you could hike to the next shelter, Limestone Springs, for a much more beautiful and fun experience. The only thing then is that you'd be to Salisbury in a couple of hours after leaving the shelter and there really isn't enough to do in Salisbury for an entire day, to put it mildly. As an alternative, there was a time when the nice man who ran Toymakers Café in Falls Village was letting people camp in his parking lot and I actually thought that was a better option than Belter's. (I don't know whether he's still letting people do it since a guy did take advantage of his generosity in the summer of 2014 and ripped him off.) This also depends on what's happening with the Iron Bridge re-route, since I think if the bridge is still closed they will route you on the other side of the river from Falls Village and you won't hike near that town at all. If you do cross the Housatonic near the high school, one very fun thing is that the section of the trail that you hike before you get to the relay station is the only section of the AT that is handicap accessible.

Your Upper Goose to October Mtn. and your Dalton to Cheshire days will be pretty short hiking days, given the terrain. It is super pretty and you will like it but you can take it nice and easy those days and still have plenty of time in camp.

Vermont I don't know at all, sorry. Hoping to find out this summer.

Jane

n.b. to JTom: IIRC there was a pretty good stream between Race and Everett - or if you got as far as Laurels there are some reliable streams that way as well. I am super surprised you ran into low water at this time of the year!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Old Grouse View Post
    Bennington.
    Ahhhh.... have been there (by vehicle) and a stay or two at The Vortex. My daughter Grass was the reason The Vortex got started, in fact, per Arla. Arla and her hubby gave Grass and her hike boyfriend a ride into town, invited them to stay the night, and enjoyed the experience so much, the rest was history, as they say.

I'll look at the map, but am thinking Bennington is perhaps too far. But I'll study it. Thanks for the suggestion!

Quote Originally Posted by rafe View Post
    It would seem, the further north you go, the hard it would be. So, maybe Rutland (Rte. 4.) All roads westward from the trail will lead to Rte. 7 which runs along the western edge of Vermont. If you follow 7 south long enough you end up in Albany, or at least Troy.
    The map can be a little confusing here. US Route 7, which runs north/south from the CT coast to the border with Canada, never crosses into New York. State Route 9 is an east/west road through NH and Vermont and for some (stupid) reason New York chose to relabel that road State Route 7, which does go to Albany.
    "It goes to show you never can tell." - Charles Edward Anderson Berry

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    Ahhhh.... have been there (by vehicle) and a stay or two at The Vortex. My daughter Grass was the reason The Vortex got started, in fact, per Arla. Arla and her hubby gave Grass and her hike boyfriend a ride into town, invited them to stay the night, and enjoyed the experience so much, the rest was history, as they say.

I'll look at the map, but am thinking Bennington is perhaps too far. But I'll study it. Thanks for the suggestion!
    If you do land in Bennington, whatever you do, don't stay here:

https://www.hihostels.com/search/hostels?q=Bennington
    (Greenwood Lodge, Highway 9) (These peeps wont you use their salt and pepper shakers. Oh well, they were 200 years old when we were last there; maybe other peeps or their children have taken over. They do allow camping and truck drivers and showers only for only a few dollars. Maybe Jeff in Manchester knows more about how it is today.)

But nearby Wilmington and beautiful Lake Raponda could make a lovely side trip.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing​ and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there. --Rumi

Images

yes the falls village iron bridge reroute is back in effect as they complete the work. once you get down to 112/7 it takes you west away from town and then up dugway rd i believe on the other side of town. if you stay at limestone instead (which we loved despite the steep hike down and back up) you can have a snack in salisbury and then stay at Riga campsite/shelter, with the best sunrise around! its still 10ish miles to Race Brook falls... I'd recommend Riga instead of overnighting in Salisbury. Its pretty amazing up there.
    Doin' the trail one section at a time
    You can read about my adventures at
    http://happyonthetrails.wordpress.com/

Images

other side of the river i meant to say there...

Images

Limestone spring also has a reliable piped spring and tent platforms and a nice shelter which Belter's doesn't. And Limestone and Riga both have privies...

Quote Originally Posted by linus72 View Post
    Limestone spring also has a reliable piped spring and tent platforms and a nice shelter which Belter's doesn't. And Limestone and Riga both have privies...
    The spring at Limestone is excellent. But the campsite is a good long schlep downhill from the trail. The morning I left there, I found two young women breaking camp right at the trail junction to the blue blaze.

Images

its a doozy, but its the A.T! the actual climb part is only maybe .15miles of up or down. we did it in the rain. not fun. well, actually, kinda fun, since we didn't die

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++