WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

I truly believe it's impossible, in most things, to learn from others mistakes. Don't be afraid to make mistakes. It is truly how people learn best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Images

I too have a Gregory Baltoro, but mine is larger at 75 liters. I got it to use as a winter pack because I was usually carrying multiple sleeping bags and needed the space. As it turns out I use the pack all year round. It's very comfortable and I can spend all day with it my back with no pains or problems. It carries loads both large and small very comfortably. Maybe you should use your Baltoro until you know if it's comfortable enough for you to use it for a thru hike, or not.

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    Perhaps it's also because those are the only kind of pack available at most outfitter stores?
    +1.....years ago while shopping for my first pack at REI the experienced sales guy suggested I save my money and try a much lighter pack from ULA....glad I listened...

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    +1.....years ago while shopping for my first pack at REI the experienced sales guy suggested I save my money and try a much lighter pack from ULA....glad I listened...
    To be fair, that was years ago. And, not to cast any dispersion on our sacred cottage industries, BUT, there are many more good quality, light weight, packs available now from reputable outfitters than there were even five years ago. And, there is a lot to be said about touching and trying out a pack before you buy, even if that touching and trying helps you figure out what you do and don't want from a special-order cottage bag.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

From your other post about being underweight keeping your total kit on the light (and yes, safe and functional side) is very important. Sell the damn thing! Get a day pack and do lots of training hikes while you take your time to research gear. Check out ULA and gossamer gear packs. Get your other gear sorted out before you commit to a certain volume. Don't be hasty!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nsherry61 View Post
    And, there is a lot to be said about touching and trying out a pack before you buy, even if that touching and trying helps you figure out what you do and don't want from a special-order cottage bag.
    Theres a whole lot to be said for trying out packs in comfort of own home, with your gear, and walking around house for 30 min or so. Courtesy of internet and UPS and cottage vendors.

Why so many are reluctant to spend a few $ in selecting a good pack is beyond me. Youd think $60 for some shipping charges to return a couple packs was an insurmountable financial obstacle, and buying a new pack for $300 in hot springs wont be.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 04-29-2016 at 04:41.

A buddy of mine told me once as I was getting into hiking that if you had to spend good money on two things, make sure it is footwear and your pack. I'm still experimenting with the footwear but I love my Osprey pack. Part of the fun is using trial and error for your gear. Good luck!

Journal Entries
    Images

I was lucky to get good advice from the start of my second tango with hiking. The gear has changed so much since I took my last pack off and laid it down for thirty years. I have two packs. The first is a Kelty Trekker 65 external frame weighing in at just over five pounds. It is my nod back to my youth when externals were ubiquitous. It is a very comfortable and adjustable pack. And heavy. My other pack is an REI Flash 65 which is a couple of pounds lighter and seems to fit like a hug. The shoes are Merrell Moab Ventilators with green Superfeet inserts. With a single pair of FITS brand merino wool socks, they've performed flawlessly.

Quote Originally Posted by JLorenzo77 View Post
    A buddy of mine told me once as I was getting into hiking that if you had to spend good money on two things, make sure it is footwear and your pack. I'm still experimenting with the footwear but I love my Osprey pack. Part of the fun is using trial and error for your gear. Good luck!

Skinnbones,

Welcome to the " I made a mistake" club. I have had good luck selling my mistakes on Ebay with minimal loses. My first pack was an USMC ILBE pack at 9 lbs. I think REI hates me as I have returned almost all of the tents I bought from them. Try using the 15-20% of body weight for total pack weight as a starting point for your pack weight. Try different pack weights on a 10 mile hikes to see if you feel ok. Then do it again the next day. If you can get out of bed the third day then do Sugarloaf Mtn in Mt Dora. If you can still walk on the fourth day maybe the weight is ok. Once you get your ideal pack weight in range you can enter the wonderful world of best tent, best sleeping bag and of course best pack for your needs. (I forgot to mention cooksets, stoves, rain suits, shoes and clothes and .....) For me at 165 lbs 25-27 lbs is my sweet spot. Do not shy away from cottage mfgs such as ULA, Tarptent and Lightheart Gear. Their equipment is excellent and competitive in price to the more widely known brands.

For me that pack would be a mistake. My last pack is a Deuter 65L @ 3lbs.(a Cadillac) I like it a lot. My current pack a Arc haul @26 oz. I love it, It does it all for me. At 62 getting my base weight down is a priority. If it is for you, I'd start with the pack. Good luck.

For me an equal concern to weight was the fact that I sweat a lot. Really more than most people do. I tried lots of packs and own 4. Not a lot by what I have heard others say they have but more than I wanted. Only pack that was really comfortable for me during warmer months was a Kelty external 65. Heavy but externals not only carry well, they keep the pack off your back and for people who sweat like me, that is a consideration. I also landed on the Arc Haul from Zpac. It was one of the only very light packs I found that had an external frame, of sorts, that allowed air to travel between the pack and me. Also liked the fact that they are waterproof and so do not absorb my sweat that does get on it. I did two section hikes in prep for the thru hike I am in the middle of doing now. On both of those I carried the Kelty and would be carrying it now if I had not found the Arc Haul. Only concern for me with the Arc is that after about 850 miles the pack is showing signs of wear on straps and attachment points, not the main pack itself. So far the company has been very responsive and has stood behind their product with great support. I have not needed it much but nice to know they are happy to work with me. Though Zpac is sort of an external frame, it isn't really and I would say you need to be under 35 lbs and closer to 30lbs. At those weights I find it very comfortable. Do not underrate comfort when you have your final decision.

My pack is 5.5 lbs empty. I know most of the weight is in suspension system. The comfort I gain through the comfort is worth it to me, and really that is what matters. 32 lbs fully loaded with everything to last a week of any weather.

Quote Originally Posted by skinnbones View Post
    I have almost a year to fine tune everything. Many thanks for all the tips and info!
    Don't wait. Load up a pack. Any pack. Start hiking.
    You have a year to hike. A month to plan your first month on the trail. After that, if you're still hiking, you repeat the first month.
    Start hiking with a load. Increase the load gradually.
    I'm old and slow. I walked 12,858 steps today. You can too.
    Stop planning. Start hiking.

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Just try it. If you don't like it, sell it used. As many have stated, most of us have more than one pack. Since your gear is not dialed in and since you might be carrying heavy loads, it would be good to have a sturdy hauler. In the meantime, keep working on dialing in your gear and keep an eye out for used packs.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++