WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Amicalola to Unicoi gap - thoughts on campsite selection?

My husband and I are planning to hike from Amicalola Falls to Unicoi gap over six days around Memorial Day weekend. We've done some 3-4 night hikes in New Zealand and really enjoyed it, but this will be our first overnight hike on the AT (and really first in the US since we were little kids). The lack of critters in NZ (bears, snakes, etc.) was also really nice, and something that despite my research still makes me a bit nervous for the AT.

We plan to camp (tent, rather than use the shelters). Using the AWOL Northbound guide, we mapped out the plan below. We still need to call to set up shuttles (TBD on the Amicalola side, Ron Haven on the Unicoi gap end).

• Amicalola to Stover Creek Shelter (indicates 3 tent pads) 11.6 mi
    • Stover Creek Shelter to Justus Creek (6 tent pads) - 11.6 mi
    • Justus Creek to Lance Creek (6 tent pads) - 9.9 mi
    • Lance Creek to Bull Gap - (? pads) 8.5 mi
    • Bull Gap to Low Gap Shelter (4 tent pads) -10.4 mi
    • Low Gap Shelter to Unicoi Gap! 9.7mi

To the veterans here, does this sound reasonable? Are there other spots around these stops that you would opt to camp at instead? (We were in part picking established sites because it seemed easier to access water). If there is something only a bit farther than what we've planned but it has a fantastic view/perk/something super cool, we'd opt for that instead.

Also, how bad are the bugs at the end of May/early June in this area? We spend a lot of time in the Adirondacks, and the May/early June is usually killer for black flies and no-see-ums. Can anyone weigh in/compare, so that we have a better idea what to expect?
    Thanks!

Journal Entries

No bugs
    Camp anywhere that strikes your fancy
    Do not get heart set on somewhere , there may be others there. Gaps usually have flat areas.

Play it by ear, theres plenty of water typically.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 04-28-2016 at 15:23.

There are a lot of great campsites besides those. The way we did it was to target a shelter for the end of the day because we knew we could get water there. So we would load up about two liters of water at the shelter, then pack up and move on and generally within a quarter mile or so there would be a nice place to camp. Rarely we might have gone one mile. We found spots right off the trail, within sight but still private. We've done this throughout the whole AT. I don't remember any problems in GA, in fact I recall some excellent camp sites in that stretch.

The only section that typically has some water issues is from Neel Gap to Low Gap Shelter, I remember there being very little to no water until you get to the shelter, but we did it in labor day. Consider perhaps carrying a little more that day.

As for your miles, I think they are plenty reasonable. Have fun!
    Foothills Trail - 14
    Bartram Trail - 15 - Video
    Benton MacKaye Trail - 15 - Video
    AT - 15% complete
    Pinhoti Trail - 16 - Video

You have a very reasonable plan. This is an area of 10,000 camping places. A tent pad is an area near a shelter where others have tented before and it's free of sticks and rocks. Most of the time if the books says 6 pads it can be just as easy be 60 with very little effort. There is also quite a bit of water not listed in AWOL or on maps. There is more freedom to camp where you want here, than any other place on the trail. Being newcomers to the sights, sounds, critters and fears of the Appalachian Trail you will sleep better if you are in earshot of other campers. Things that go "bump" in the night can cause you to lose sleep. There will be other hikers who's company around a campfire you will find agreeable. Bugs of the kind you describe should not be much of a problem at this time of the year. No need for headnets but if it is a worry, a small tube of repellent is very light and can be procured along the way.

Journal Entries

stopped at Gooch Gap early on Sat afternoon of Memorial Day weekend 2 years ago. There were 4 of us there at 3:30. 2 hours later there were over 100 . Some guy in the shelter snored like a passing freight train all night long. I'll never again be on the AT on a holiday weekend

++ New Posts ++