WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by rafe View Post
    Again, I'm quite amused at this article even becoming a thread. That's what happens when you let bots cull content for you. Expecting the mods to stomp it soon, but in the meantime...
    An amusing thread where you have the most posts? Well, not counting, maybe that would be LW.

Hmm. "... we, an adventure based community." . . . perhaps a bit presumptuous to speak for the rest of us with the royal "we."...
    If you don't consider backpacking, in general, an adventure, then you are right. BUT, I consider backpacking, in general, an adventure. You are welcome to disagree, but the premise of my statement was the assumption (probably shared by most people using this site) that backpacking is an adventure at its core.

. . .There are solid reasons why ATC doesn't recognize speed hikes or derring-do feats like the one described in the body of the article. Why is why the official status of Jeff's TC attempt is irrelevant. . .
    And, there are speed limit signs on highways for "solid reasons". I doubt you always obey them. I hope you don't condemn everyone that does break the speed limit on occasion as "FOOLISH, stupid, suicidal ..." even if, at times, it's not the wisest choice. I do not condemn the ATC for officially discouraging risky behavior, doing so is only responsible. They also officially discourage illegal camping along the trail, while unofficially, I've been encouraged to do so by trail caretakers under certain circumstances. There is a big difference between officially discouraging people from taking risks and condemning them for doing the same.

. . . Again, I'm quite amused at this article even becoming a thread. . .Expecting the mods to stomp it soon, but in the meantime...
    Why would mods stomp on a great ethics discussion where we are somewhat respectfully disagreeing with each other?

HYOH and don't condemn others. . . But also, don't stop questioning their choices, just do so in a responsible and encouraging way.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

I just read the article that Camelman linked to. It seems this very fit hiker (certainly so if this was day 79 for him) was shaken and disheveled from the experience. "Naked and Afraid" were the words he used to describe how he felt at the far bank of the river. So no, this really isn't something to emulate. Dude sounds like a Chris McCandless wannabe. More guts than brains, it seems to me, from this account.

Remember that it's not just your own sorry butt you have to get across the river, but that pack you've been schlepping. Who among us has experience swimming in a 40 degree current with a bulky load that may or may not be buoyant?

Images

I have to agree that this was very risky behavior. In water of this temperature you quickly loose muscle coordination and can also hyperventilate. Weighed down by a backpack, I would not risk that even for a quick two minute swim.

Yet, I also agree, it is his life to risk. If that is what he wants to do, who are we to stop him? That said it seems very reasonable to me to remind ourselves and others who would like to remain in this world for a while longer that this does involve excessive risk and is not a recommended thru-hiker procedure.

So to all you Newbs and old geezers tenaciously clinging to life (that's me), please enjoy your ATC sponsored canoe ride across the Kennebec from the Ferryman. That's the canoe with the White Blaze on the floor...
    ME5-4983825.jpg
    (Note: photo from Internet, not my own)
    Last edited by imscotty; 05-02-2016 at 11:52.

Images

its all part of the at experience for some personally I never wanted to wade or swim although I heard that Warren Doyles group did a few years ago

Let's say your pack is 60L, that will displace 132 lbs of water. In other words, since you pack weighs significantly less than 132 lbs, you've got a flotation device, not a weight dragging you down (yes, a bulk dragging you down river, but not a weight dragging you under). If you have an inflatable sleeping pad, you can inflate it for even more flotation.

Yes, there are people that haven't thought this sort of thing through and people who surely should not do it. But, I'm sorry, I've played swimming in freezing water and swimming across rivers too much to get too worked up about this unless the river is flowing fast AND there is really serious danger down stream.

Additionally, for what it's worth, I have been to the river crossing that trapped Chris McCandlesss (actually prior to his adventure by a year a think). I would have waded and swum that river river if necessary without much hesitation. It's fast, but it's only about 25 yards across and there is NOTHING dangerous downstream for miles. Crossing rivers like that is just how you move in that country. I can only guess that Chris McCandless was not a confident swimmer, or he would probably be alive today.

Images

legend hiked the PCT in 2011 and there were multitudes of very nasty and cold stream crossings including fast stream requiring climbing onto snow banks to get out. While there was only one that had the length of this crossing, this was not his first rodeo.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    As you yourself said earlier LW, much ado about nothing. There is this weird irrational fear of this river that I can't quite understand, but whatever.
    Irrational fear? The screen grab below is from MATC's web site. http://www.matc.org/for-hikers/kennebec-river-ferry/

Attached Images Attached Images

over hyped

Tell that to the several people who have already drowned in the Kennebec this year.

Maybe the river, just upstream from the ferry point has changed in the past few years.
    If not, maybe he didn't know that it is easier up there.
    Here's SOBO ford in our "Fearless" video from 2001
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEPxDtepd_8
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

The other white meat

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    it's the kennebec. in civilization. low risk. much ado over nothin'.
    Agree with Davey. Before the early 90's the only option was to ford. After Alice Ferrence, a small older lady, drowned, the ATC came up with "official" instructions for fording the Kennebec, until legality concerns forced them to denounce fording. I'm pretty sure they went as far as putting an actual blaze on the ferry canoe to make it the official route, but most cheap thru hikers waded instead of paying the fee.
    Even if its a free ride, I still say low risk. Some may not agree with that statement, but that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    Tell that to the several people who have already drowned in the Kennebec this year.
    I didn't look too hard, but Google found a total of zero (nada, 0) drownings in the Kennebec river this year (it looks like there was one in 2015). Help us out with some references please, or quite making up lies to make "FOOLISH, stupid," and irresponsible points in a discussion.

Also, for what it's worth, there is a spot along the Willamette River in Oregon, near the University of Oregon campus where hundreds of people (actually, maybe 1000's, I'm not sure) swim and play in the rapids over any given summer. It is rare that a summer goes by where someone doesn't drown there - often drunk. That doesn't mean people shouldn't swim in that water. It just means that there is danger swimming in a moving current, and if enough people do it long enough, things happen, and sometimes, someone dies. I'm still going to play in that part of the river on a hot day. It is NOT "FOOLISH, stupid, suicidal ..." for me to do so, even if it might be "FOOLISH, stupid, suicidal ..." for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    how many of you expert posters have actuallly waded the river?
    I would say little to none lol
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++