WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Vancouver hiker swims Maine river on Appalachian Trail - Bangor Daily News

Vancouver hiker swims Maine river on Appalachian Trail
    Bangor Daily News
    ARATUNK, Maine — Vancouver hiker Jeff Garmire on Wednesday was working his way north on the Appalachian Trail through 100 Mile Wilderness, hoping to complete his 2,100-mile walk within a week. Then the 25-year-old will head to Boston, fly to ...

More...

Default Vancouver hiker swims Maine river on Appalachian Trail - Bangor Daily News

Vancouver hiker swims Maine river on Appalachian Trail
    Bangor Daily News
    ARATUNK, Maine — Vancouver hiker Jeff Garmire on Wednesday was working his way north on the Appalachian Trail through 100 Mile Wilderness, hoping to complete his 2,100-mile walk within a week. Then the 25-year-old will head to Boston, fly to ...

and more »

More...

FOOLISH, stupid, suicidal ...

How is he going to climb Katahdin? Trails are closed, still, aren't they?

The whiteblaze 'bot leads to an article that I can't read before answering "ten questions." Bah.

279.6 Miler (Tanyard Gap) CamelMan's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Images

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    How is he going to climb Katahdin? Trails are closed, still, aren't they?
    According to Baxter State Park website - "All Katahdin Trails remain closed."

Quote Originally Posted by craig dickstein View Post
    FOOLISH, stupid, suicidal ...
    I must confess that I have never stood on the side of the Kennebec River. And, I don't know how far down river any real dangers may be. But, I have swum many rivers and some very fast ones. Done well, 100 feet should be able to be swum in about a minute using your pack as a flotation device. I would argue that this crossing probably isn't all that dangerous for a competent swimmer even if the water level and speed suddenly increase significantly. So, passing judgment on someone else's judgement, when you don't know what tools and skills they have, is probably not really all that insightful.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Quote Originally Posted by nsherry61 View Post
    I must confess that I have never stood on the side of the Kennebec River. And, I don't know how far down river any real dangers may be. But, I have swum many rivers and some very fast ones. Done well, 100 feet should be able to be swum in about a minute using your pack as a flotation device. I would argue that this crossing probably isn't all that dangerous for a competent swimmer even if the water level and speed suddenly increase significantly. So, passing judgment on someone else's judgement, when you don't know what tools and skills they have, is probably not really all that insightful.
    its about 70 yards across, its April. The water temp is hovering right around 35*. Spring Runoff is highly dangerous time to be trying to ford a major river. He's very fortunate he didn't down.

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    its about 70 yards across, its April. The water temp is hovering right around 35*. Spring Runoff is highly dangerous time to be trying to ford a major river. He's very fortunate he didn't down.
    He may be fortunate he didn't drown. But, how risky was it really?

It doesn't sound like he swam 70 yards, it sounds like he waded about 1/2 and swam about half, and he says it was about 40 degree water. But, even 70 yards in 35 degree water is still only about 3 minutes regardless of how fast it's running (since you are swimming across, not against the current). For some people, that would surely be lethal (as swimming 50 feet in 70 degree water would be for some). For other's it would be a fairly typical adventure. I used to love swimming in alpine lakes with icebergs in them, just for the cold rush. I still frequently swim fast rivers. People make stupid decisions and die all the time. AND, other people do things considered very high risk by others on a frequent basis with relatively little real risk because of their skills and knowledge. You don't hear white-water rafters suggesting that rivers shouldn't be run because you might have to swim for a few minutes in spring runoff.

I'm sorry, I just get really tired of people quickly condemning others for the calculated risks they choose to take. I would think that the group of relatively more experience backpackers that I expect to read from on these forums would appreciate the subtleties of risk more that the general population and/or survival show producers.

Images

He may be fortunate he didn't drown. But, how risky was it really?...

I'm sorry, I just get really tired of people quickly condemning others for the calculated risks they choose to take.
    Well said and my thoughts exactly.

Saying he was "fortunate to have not drowned" is ridiculous. Any competent swimmer this would be a trivial, though uncomfortable (freezing!) short swim.

I guess the Katahdin trails are closed during the mud season then, I wonder how long this typically is in the spring and fall?

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by CamelMan View Post
    He's got an interesting journal going. Seems he's trying for a triple crown in one year.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

This is what I call a "hype" hike. The more hype the happier the hiker. If there is bit of drama at Baxter, we will hear about it. If there isn't drama, he will find a way to make it. Even if he doesn't want to hype it, the press or the hiking public will do it for him.
    Last edited by peakbagger; 05-01-2016 at 18:11.

Images

Looks like he is done with the AT. Must have passed on Baxter. Will be interesting to see if he picks this up at the end. Have to say, this was an impressive achievement.

as far as the river crossing, dangerous? yes, but arent many of the activities that many of those that push the limits. It's a small gap between hero and idiot, so to speak.

Very risky. In the Coast Guard, I saw a person in a life vest thoroughly disabled in a minute or less in water about that cold. We had to drag him into our boat like a big wet sack. It was lucky I had an extra crewman aboard. It made a serious an impression on me.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

If he walked halfway across then he didn't cross during any normal water release from Harris Station (dam) upriver. Spring runoff must have been a low flow if he did walk halfway. Doesn't seem right but I suppose it could be. The river isn't all that rough right there, although it can be fast, and eventually it drains into Wyman lake, the impound for Wyman Hydro.

BTW, several months ago I mistakenly said the AT crossing was below Wyman dam. It isn't and the only reason I might have said that was because I was looking at property in Bingham and must have had that on my mind when responding in here.

It doesn't sound like he swam 70 yards, it sounds like he waded about 1/2 and swam about half, and he says it was about 40 degree water. But, even 70 yards in 35 degree water is still only about 3 minutes regardless of how fast it's running (since you are swimming across, not against the current). For some people, that would surely be lethal (as swimming 50 feet in 70 degree water would be for some). For other's it would be a fairly typical adventure. I used to love swimming in alpine lakes with icebergs in them, just for the cold rush. I still frequently swim fast rivers. People make stupid decisions and die all the time. AND, other people do things considered very high risk by others on a frequent basis with relatively little real risk because of their skills and knowledge. You don't hear white-water rafters suggesting that rivers shouldn't be run because you might have to swim for a few minutes in spring runoff.

I'm sorry, I just get really tired of people quickly condemning others for the calculated risks they choose to take. I would think that the group of relatively more experience backpackers that I expect to read from on these forums would appreciate the subtleties of risk more that the general population and/or survival show producers.
    it's the kennebec. in civilization. low risk. much ado over nothin'.

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    Very risky. In the Coast Guard, I saw a person in a life vest thoroughly disabled in a minute or less in water about that cold. . .
    It takes five to ten minutes to get disabled in freezing water. I doubt the Kennebec river was colder than than. And, I doubt your Coast Guard story was really a minute or less unless something else was going on. As noted above, my buddies and I used to like swimming in iceberg infested lakes. Yeah, you get pretty stiff after about five minutes, but not truly disabled that fast. . . maybe if we weren't swimming like a mad men trying to stay warm we would have stiffened up faster? I doubt Legend was just floating in a vest when he was trying to cross the river. He was probably swimming like a mad man too.

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    This is what I call a "hype" hike. The more hype the happier the hiker. If there is bit of drama at Baxter, we will hear about it. If there isn't drama, he will find a way to make it. Even if he doesn't want to hype it, the press or the hiking public will do it for him.
    Press didn't seem to pick it up until "hiker swims Maine river".

I find great humor in his claim of hiking to prevent suicide.

The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

how many of you expert posters have actuallly waded the river?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++