WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Storage bags

Question Storage bags

OK so question for everybody and for those that hiked the AT .
    How big (Liter) bag (waterproof) - should I get for my food /bear bag and how big (Liter) bag should I get for my clothes ? 20L 40L 60L ? Please let me know ... For food the most will be 4-6 days,food will probably weight around 13 to 14 pounds -I will have socks and underwear in a bag. In another I will have my cold weather clothing along with my puffy jacket.
    Now all the clothes will be hiker type clothes . and jacket compresses down to almost nothing. Just need some ruff idea . There so many bags to choose from and it's over whelming ... Thanks .

Quote Originally Posted by pickle View Post
    OK so question for everybody and for those that hiked the AT .
    How big (Liter) bag (waterproof) - should I get for my food /bear bag and how big (Liter) bag should I get for my clothes ? 20L 40L 60L ? Please let me know ... For food the most will be 4-6 days,food will probably weight around 13 to 14 pounds -I will have socks and underwear in a bag. In another I will have my cold weather clothing along with my puffy jacket.
    Now all the clothes will be hiker type clothes . and jacket compresses down to almost nothing. Just need some ruff idea . There so many bags to choose from and it's over whelming ... Thanks .
    I like the Ursack s29.3 All white (the smaller one) with Opsak for my food. That is the only bag I really paid any attention too for my setup. Walmart handled all my other stuff sacks.

Take your cloths down to your local outfitter and play around with stuff sacks until you get a feel for how much volume each size is. Then, go home and pack some sample 4 and 6 day piles of food and see what size bag that will be for you.

Personally, I just reach into my bag of stuff sacks and pull out whatever works for each purpose. It might not be a bad idea to just bight the bullet and buy a small range of suff sack sizes and play around with them. If you like packing in suff sacks, you'll eventually use them all and have examples of what you need more of. You will also likely change your packing style over time and on different trips or sections of longer trips, so your stuff sack preferences may change as well.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

I use a 20L for sleeping bag and sleepwear, 20L for food bag, 10L for clothes (baselayer, extra socks and U/W), no bag for puffy (it gets stuffed where there's space), cookset in original storage sack.

I have several of the cheap dry bags from Walmart and a couple from the local camping store.

Don't get obsessive with bags...they all add weight. I only use them for extra protection on gear I either need to compress or I absolutely do NOT want to get wet. IN general, everything goes into a trash compactor bag which is folded over and keeps everything inside it dry anyway.

Edit: I got slightly bigger than I probably needed for the food and sleeping bag dry bags because I can always roll them down smaller...can make a big bag carry less stuff, but you can't make a small bag bigger!

Registered User displacedbeatnik's Avatar

Use plastic ziplock bags! You can see your supplies and they're lighter than stuff sacks (of course both weight hardly anything). The only stuff sacks you need are the sleeping bag, tent, and food bag. And my sleeping bag is a 40 which actually fits in a gallon ziplock bag if need be. Of course, that's excessive.
    AT Leapfrogging in 2016i (Central Virginia next) http://walkinghometodc.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by CoolBobby View Post
    I like the Ursack s29.3 All white (the smaller one) with Opsak for my food. That is the only bag I really paid any attention too for my setup. Walmart handled all my other stuff sacks.
    is the Ursack waterproof/resistant? is that why you use the Opsak with it?..

Ursack is not water resistant at all. That's why you use the opsack with it

Quote Originally Posted by Secondmouse View Post
    is the Ursack waterproof/resistant? is that why you use the Opsak with it?..
    It's not water resistant at all, but in all my travels it's been mice, squirrel, bird, beaver, raccoon, bear, and yeti resistant.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Registered User dudeijuststarted's Avatar
    Images

I used / use a z-packs Blast food bag

I used S2S evac dry sacs for my clothing (don't remember which size.)

Good products.

Zpacks Blast food bag, a couple ZPacks medium dry bags for clothes, and a 7L S2S dry bag for misc.

Zpacks blast food bag for food...all other dry clothing and sleeping bag go in a compactor bag....never seen the logic in carrying a bunch of stuff sacks. My pack carries better this way...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Put all your hiking clothes (or food) in a pillow case to get a pretty good approximation of what size stuff sack to buy...and have fun hiking.

++ New Posts ++