WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Bear bag kit: Zpacks vs. Antigravity vs. Mountain Laurel Design??

I'm looking at bear bags/food sacks, and have found a couple I like. However, I'm having a hard time deciding between them. Here are the options: http://www.antigravitygear.com/shop/...ar-bag-system/ Pros: Iincludes OPsack for odor control; 3.8 ozs; slick Spectra line Cons: Silnylon should be waterproof but not as durable as other two; even small critters can eat through silnylon http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/bear_bag.shtml Pros: Lightest at 3 oz; heavier cuben fiber bag provides more protect against critters than silnylon; true waterproof bag with roll top; slick line as well Cons: does not include OPsack or similar for odor control; adding OPsack will increase cost and weight http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com...products_id=79 Pros: Includes Opsack and cuben fiber, roll-top bag; 3.6 oz Cons: Cuben fiber doesn't appear to be as strong as the Zpacks one There is only a $10 difference in price from lowest to highest. I like the idea of the heavier Zpack material for critter control, and the roll-top on both the Zpack and MLD. Based on your experience, which of the three would you recommend?

Journal Entries

Think you would be fine with any choices. I like to use a roll top drysack, also light color (makes it easier to see inside then a dark light blocking bag) and like the rectangular design over the longer one, again easier to see what is in there and to get things, the longer the bag the more times the entire contents get dumped.

Zpack CF food bag lasted about 1/2 a thru before showing significant wear thru, these bags do go through a lot of wear, more so than other stuff sacks so perhaps better to not spend too much on this as it is semi-disposable, however if you only go backpacking a few times a year then it might be a longer lasting investment.

Quote Originally Posted by Starchild View Post
    Think you would be fine with any choices. I like to use a roll top drysack, also light color (makes it easier to see inside then a dark light blocking bag) and like the rectangular design over the longer one, again easier to see what is in there and to get things, the longer the bag the more times the entire contents get dumped.

Zpack CF food bag lasted about 1/2 a thru before showing significant wear thru, these bags do go through a lot of wear, more so than other stuff sacks so perhaps better to not spend too much on this as it is semi-disposable, however if you only go backpacking a few times a year then it might be a longer lasting investment.
    Thanks Starchild. It will be a couple of years before I can thru hike, so only section hikes until then.

Since the Zpack CF seems to be the most durable of the three options, can I assume from your comments/experience that the AG and LMD bags would wear quicker? I was also considering the Ursack, however that is considerably heavier and more costly, especially when you consider that you need to buy the other components (rope, OPsack, etc) separately. Also, the Ursack is not waterproof like the roll-top Zpack CF, therefore not my first choice.

Images

Had a couple of Ursacks for more than ten years, then transitioned to the Zpacks Blast food bag. I like it, it's waterproof, easy to hang PCT style, holds a lot of food. I do use an OP sack (odor proof bag) inside it.

Note that the Blast bag is NOT mouse-proof, and the fabric will get small holes just from rolling it up over and over again. These holes are easily patched, as is the big hole from the mouse. The one time we had a mouse get inside was also the only time I've ever had food in the bag that was not in an OP sack. Coincidence? Maybe, but I'm happy with the OP sacks as part of the system.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Thanks BigC. I was under the impression that the Blast would be good against small critters like mice, so disappointed in your experience. If I go that route, certainly OPsack seems a good investment.

My ZPacks Blast food bag is holding up very well after 2 or 3 years of use, probably 2 months total on trail. No holes or obvious signs of wear yet.

I have both zpacks and mld bear bag systems. They are both fine bags. As noted with cf gear, the roll tops do wear. I use the rectangular zpacks for food and ended up using the mld for clothing. Pay attention to the shape of the bag and how you store it in your pack. I don't use the opsack, just zip locks so knowing now I would just purchase the zpacks. It fits my pack nicely as I have shaved my gear to a minimum.

Why are you concerned about your bag being waterproof if you are storing your food in an opsack inside it anyway?
    NONE of the bags are the least bit critter resistant except the ursacks, so that consideration is irrelevant except in the context of the ursacks. As for overall durability, not counting the ursacks, the nylon is so vastly more durable than the cuben as to make your cuben durability debate irrelevant. Finally, all these systems are so darn light as to make weight comparisons a bit silly. Why get a ready-made kit anyhow. Just grab a decent sack, some decent line, a mini carabiner of your choice, and be done with it.

Journal Entries

Your making big deal out a sack and piece of cord.

Dont waste money on opsak.

Pay attention to shape of foodbag. What do you think will be easier to get food in/out of and pack? Hint: long and skinny is retarded, unless want to dump entire bag everytime you need something.

Dont worry about waterproof. It wont be perfect.

Reynolds turkey bags make waterproof, cut odors, available every grocery store. Gallon ziplocks are great for organizing, but polyethylene passes odors horribly. Your not going to reduce odor so a bear cant smell it, no matter what you do. Your going to reduce odor so everything in pack doesnt smell like pepperoni and 4 day old tuna garbage.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 04-29-2016 at 23:25.

Journal Entries
    Images

Currently I am using the Zpacks bear bag and it seems to be just fine for me.
    I have only put about 12 days or so hanging it though so not really used it for a thru hike.
    I will say though that Carolyn from antigravity is really great and super helpful and I have been more than satisfied with all there products I have purchased from them.
    But as for me the Z packs is what im using now and will continue to use until it wears out.
    If it gets small abrasion holes it is easily fixable with cuber fiber tape.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post

Pay attention to shape of foodbag. What do you think will be easier to get food in/out of and pack? Hint: long and skinny is retarded, unless want to dump entire bag everytime you need something.

Reynolds turkey bags make waterproof, cut odors, available every grocery store. Gallon ziplocks are great for organizing, but polyethylene passes odors horribly. Your not going to reduce odor so a bear cant smell it, no matter what you do. Your going to reduce odor so everything in pack doesnt smell like pepperoni and 4 day old tuna garbage.
    Thanks for the alternatives suggestions and advice on the bag shape!

Images

DITTO. BTW, never saw the reason for a carabiner of any sort. As long as the food bag closes with a clip, just clip it through the loop on the end of the cord. Just saved yourself a useless piece of gear.

However, I do use a water-proof bag. It happens to be Bass Pro Shop's store brand, Ascend, and has a clear vinyl panel, so I can see what's inside.

Now, were I to hike out west in grizzly country, I'd do things differently. In the east, the only critter that has ever bothered my food bag over the years has been either a mouse or squirrel while the bag was hung on a bear cable at an AT shelter in GA. Even then, it only bothered a bit of snack food. Not a big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    DITTO. BTW, never saw the reason for a carabiner of any sort. As long as the food bag closes with a clip, just clip it through the loop on the end of the cord. Just saved yourself a useless piece of gear.
    I use a carabiner because I don't have to tie a rock to my cord to toss it. That and the carabiner becomes the loop to hoist it up. Since I generally have one clipped to my pack anyway it's not a big deal to me.

DITTO. BTW, never saw the reason for a carabiner of any sort. As long as the food bag closes with a clip . . .
    I frequently don't even use a clip. As long as you tie your line to your foodbag with a bowline or other form of loop, you can just pass the end of the line through that loop instead of a carabiner and still hang using the PCT method.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

DITTO. BTW, never saw the reason for a carabiner of any sort.
    If you ever tent somewhere without bear cables and choose to hang your food, a carabiner will come in handy, and if you hang PCT style you will need one for sure.

Since when does the PCT method require a carabiner, or any other piece of hardware other than a rope and a stick?

20160501_131520.jpg20160501_131634.jpg

Sorry for the sideways image. I can't figure out how to get this forum software to allow me to control the image orientation.

The first image is a simple PCT hang without any hardware. The second image is the stopper stick loosened up to show the knots a little better. It is just a large bowline loop put through the bag loop as a Lark's Head and then the other end of the line put through the open upper part of the bowline instead of through a carabiner. Super simple and ultra-light.

Quote Originally Posted by nsherry61 View Post
    Since when does the PCT method require a carabiner, or any other piece of hardware other than a rope and a stick?

20160501_131520.jpg20160501_131634.jpg

Sorry for the sideways image. I can't figure out how to get this forum software to allow me to control the image orientation.

The first image is a simple PCT hang without any hardware. The second image is the stopper stick loosened up to show the knots a little better. It is just a large bowline loop put through the bag loop as a Lark's Head and then the other end of the line put through the open upper part of the bowline instead of through a carabiner. Super simple and ultra-light.
    I guess it technically doesn't. However, every description and how to I have seen on hanging PCT style involves a carabiner. I used this diagram when learning:

Hanging-A-Bear-Bag.png

Images

One of those micro carabiners makes the PCT hang a little easier, so why not use it?
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Quote Originally Posted by soumodeler View Post
    I guess it technically doesn't. However, every description and how to I have seen on hanging PCT style involves a carabiner. . .
    I have to admit that I also have never seen a description or "How to" on the PCT method that doesn't use a carabiner. Interesting point. Maybe it's time to publish an updated and new ultra-light PCT bear bag hanging instruction page or video or "How to".

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    One of those micro carabiners makes the PCT hang a little easier, so why not use it?
    Only reason I can think of is because I forgot to pack one, or I'm being ridiculously anal about a couple extra grams of mass, or I just get my kicks from being minimalist and one less thing is more aesthetically minimal.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++