WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    could you expand on this a bit, you pack warm curd around it?
    Right when the pain is hot and sharp, we apply cold curd, wrap it with an elastic bandage and keep it until the curd is dry, at least 1-2hrs.
    Usually tunes the pain down to a level where you can easily live with it.
    Reapply several times a day.

Attention:
    This treatment takes good care about the pain and the inflammation, but still the body takes the usual time to actually cure the problem.
    As in most cases the hot pain will be gone after the first treatment, you may be tempted to just go on with your business- be very careful to not overdo it!

curd_1.JPG curd_2.JPG curd_3.JPG curd_4.JPG

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

I can't seem to even find the time to hike, not sure how you all find the time to hike and play tennis, I must be doin' somethin' wrong.
    That's because you made the mistake of having kids and raising them right.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    That's because you made the mistake of having kids and raising them right.
    And now that ya mention it...I wonder if they make a neck
    & ass band?

I can't seem to even find the time to hike, not sure how you all find the time to hike and play tennis, I must be doin' somethin' wrong.

Umm, yet you have the time to post here? SO,……

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

And now that ya mention it...I wonder if they make a neck
    & ass band?
    They do

https://www.instagram.com/p/BELxq_ylI7_/
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

That's a first Leo.

Upside is, it works.
    Downside is, hardly anybody is earning money with this.

OK, for starters where do I get curd? Can I use Tofu instead? Does it have to be organic Tofu?

I know I'm going to resent asking.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo L. View Post
    Right when the pain is hot and sharp, we apply cold curd, wrap it with an elastic bandage and keep it until the curd is dry, at least 1-2hrs.
    Usually tunes the pain down to a level where you can easily live with it.
    Reapply several times a day.

Attention:
    This treatment takes good care about the pain and the inflammation, but still the body takes the usual time to actually cure the problem.
    As in most cases the hot pain will be gone after the first treatment, you may be tempted to just go on with your business- be very careful to not overdo it!

curd_1.JPG curd_2.JPG curd_3.JPG curd_4.JPG
    thats awesome, love how different parts of the worlds and cultures do things, thanks for the reply.

Now I'm wondering just what makes this work, is it the salts, like Epsom salt do? Or some other medincinal compound?

I think you can use several things similar to curd.
    One day we didn't have curd in the fridge, and we took an Italian soft cheese named Mascarpone.
    Worked just the same, and had a better smell.
    I know you can use plein natural yoghurt too (my wife did during a yourney to the south when she had a very painful breast infection by breast feeding the baby plus ocean swimming and we couldn't get curd then - and it worked like a charm), but you have to drain out the liquid by hanging it in a clean cloth bag for some time.

No idea about Tofu. As its non-diary and made of soy, I doubt if it works. Sure it doesn't need to be organic, you don't eat it like a medicine, and you do absorb very little only through the skin.
    I think the bigger part of why it works so fine is the super-soft cooling effect, and the smaller part is, it being a diary product.

aaah, thanks...yeah we just use a bag of frozen peas.

aaah, thanks...yeah we just use a bag of frozen peas.
    but corn works also

As for your tennis elbow and sciatic pain, I must advocate chiropractic care. I started seeing a chiropractor several years ago after a few too many car accidents and ladder falls. One day when he asked me how I was doing my tennis elbow was acting up. And by acting up I mean I couldn't lift a piece of paper if my arm was outstretched. He adjusted the elbow. First relief I had in nearly 2 years. Truly I have no idea why I had never mentioned it to him before. The next week the pain was back and he adjusted it again. This was probably 7 years ago. I have had one more adjustment on my elbow since then after I had gone snow boarding and seperate both shoulders. It was amazing that I put up with the pain so long when there was a very simple fix! And yes, I had done all the recommended PT and icing that the physical therapists had recommended and it never helped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Walking was recommended by my doctor when I had sciatica pain. Backpacking was put on hold for a little while as the cause of the sciatica was a herniated disc. The first time I got tennis elbow, I used one of those Velcro straps with the small pad. This helped relieve the pain. What cured it though was the rotator cuff surgery, my arm was near immobilized for a number of months. You'll want to avoid curing the tendonitis this way. I've just recently had the tendonitis return and have been using ice and the arm strap again hoping to get it calmed down.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo L. View Post
    I think you can use several things similar to curd.
    One day we didn't have curd in the fridge, and we took an Italian soft cheese named Mascarpone.
    Worked just the same, and had a better smell.
    I know you can use plein natural yoghurt too (my wife did during a yourney to the south when she had a very painful breast infection by breast feeding the baby plus ocean swimming and we couldn't get curd then - and it worked like a charm), but you have to drain out the liquid by hanging it in a clean cloth bag for some time.

No idea about Tofu. As its non-diary and made of soy, I doubt if it works. Sure it doesn't need to be organic, you don't eat it like a medicine, and you do absorb very little only through the skin.
    I think the bigger part of why it works so fine is the super-soft cooling effect, and the smaller part is, it being a diary product.
    Danke. I don't resent asking.

Ya, agree with Rocketsocks.

You'r welcome!
    I'm still suffering from an older Achilles tendon problem I mentioned in my first post, and it resurgented yesterday when I tried a morning jog. So the photos stem from a treatment yesterday morning (which didn't help that great), and I repeated the treatment in the eveneing, keeping the stuff applied during the night.
    Today the pain is completely gone. Miracles work.
    Now I just have to remember to take it easy for some time...

Probably not the answer you want to hear but I am about your age and currently on the trail. (Taking a few days off at my brother-in-laws). I have hiked over 850 miles now and the bottom line is really . . . . pain is part of your day. I have a bad shoulder, elbow, and currently walking through shin splints on my right leg. Lots of people quite for those reason and other don't. I rarely stop in a shelter where there isn't a discussion on what hurts. You hear "need to listen to your body" a lot, which is true and I agree, I just look at what it says as suggestions, not ultimatums. I may or may not finish the trail. I have hiked through what is probably the hardest part for me and will do at least half of the trail at a minimum (I like the round number of 1000 and my sister is at 1101.7). Just not sure if the grind is worth it. Right now most of the time I am just bored to tears. . . . But then I am not a hiker, this is only the third time I have hiked farther than 10 miles in my life so that probably explains a lot . . . .

I have had recurring tennis elbow - in my case it was tile installation elbow; tightly gripping the trowel and/or grout float and smearing the grout or thinset around caused it. It lasts way too long, but eventually heals with use of those arm bands, reduced use of arm, and moderate use of ibuprofen.

I was reluctant to try trekking poles because of this issue, but decided to try them because 1, my hands would swell when hiking without them, 2, spider webs, and 3, the tent I chose required use of trekking poles.

Other upsides to using them is the reduced impact on knees (also an intermittent issue for me) and at the end of a climb or the end of the day when a bit winded or wobbly, they have saved my butt on too many occasions to count.

...and they haven't caused my tennis elbow to come back - and on some climbs or descents I use a lot of upper body (via the poles) to take weight off my knees.

Try an inexpensive set of adjustable trekking poles if unsure of the purchase. Walmart has a pair for about $20 that are only about an ounce heavier than the Leki poles that sell for about $80. Shortening for uphill and lengthening for downhill is not a bad practice - especially if tennis elbow is an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by show me the monkey View Post
    I've had bad tennis elbow for more than 15 years. This is the the only thing that worked for me:
    http://www.amazon.com/Pro-Band-Sport.../dp/B000FML7SW
    Agreed! My wife and I both use them as needed. Walmart sells them in the pharmacy section under the ACE brand.
    A shot of lidocaine and cortisone plus the tennis elbow strap on the forearm will fix you in no time.
    Buy adjustable poles.

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++