WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Question Questions about grindstone campground - hiking Mt. Rogers/Grayson Highlands

Hello!

I've been trying to contact the grindstone campground, but have been unsuccessful. The one time someone answered, she had a bad connection due to a storm and asked me to call back later. When I did call back, the phone just rings as well this is what happened before I contacted a person.

Anyway, I'm going out with a small group and a few have been in the area, but have never stayed at the grindstone campground. I've made a reservation for one night - since it is a weekend and we have a long drive. When I made the reservation it was through reserveamerica and the lady I spoke with didn't know the specifics of the campground (like how much would it cost to park our car there per day).

The questions are in regards to the cost per day to leave our car there. Plus they have a two tent policy per lot. But, we will have 4 backpacking tents. Are they super strict about the tent policy? I mean we aren't going to have an RV there - which is allowed in addition to the tents.
    I'm going to keep calling and hoping somehow I get connected with a real person again. But, I thought I would throw this out there to see if anyone here knows.

Images

The last time we checked, last summer, parking at Grindstone is $5/day. I can't answer the tent question, but note that the "tent pad" probably won't hold more than 2 or 3 backpacking tents. The campsites at Grindstone are pretty nice, in the woods with a good amount of space in between.

If the weather isn't bad I might set up tents number 3 and 4 after dark, and take them down at first light.

You're going to do a loop hike in the High Country? Which trails? That was our first real backpacking trip 25 years ago, parking at Grindstone and hiking up and around Mt Rogers.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

We are basically hiking this: http://www.midatlantichikes.com/mountrogersbp.htm
    But, we are taking our time so that we can squeeze in some small connecting trails as well.
    Thanks for the input about the campground. I still haven't been able to reach them.

I was just recently in touch with them to ask about parking for a Damascus loop hike. Something is up with their phone, just keep trying at different times of the day. First few times I called it just rang off the hook then rolled to a fax machine, next day I got their answering machine and someone got back to me within a few hours.

Anyways I can confirm leaving a car there is still $5/day, couldn't tell you about the tent policy.

Quote Originally Posted by mattjv89 View Post
    I was just recently in touch with them to ask about parking for a Damascus loop hike. Something is up with their phone, just keep trying at different times of the day. First few times I called it just rang off the hook then rolled to a fax machine, next day I got their answering machine and someone got back to me within a few hours.

Anyways I can confirm leaving a car there is still $5/day, couldn't tell you about the tent policy.
    Thanks! I heard the fax machine tone as well. I will call tomorrow and leave a message.

Images

OK, I read the hike description that you linked. It's a fine hike, though I would add a couple of notes:

1. The website says there are good campsites "on either side of" Thomas Knob Shelter. This is not so - there is no camping allowed near the shelter, and none allowed to northbounders anywhere on the approach to the shelter on the AT. Hike just past the shelter and through the fence gate, and there are many good campsites in the next mile to Rhododendron Gap. Get water from the shelter spring.

2. This hike directs you to turn left at Rhododendron Gap on the Crest Trail, which is a horse trail connecting to Scales. Depending on what time of year you go, it may be crowded with horses and their, er, leavings. If you want to cut over to Scales from Rhodo Gap, definitely take the Pine Mountain Trail, it is a significantly nicer trail (this route is obvious on the Nat'l Geo map of Mt Rogers). However....

3. This hike skips one of the best features of the High Country, which is Wilburn Ridge, and the whole AT loop around to the southeast. By turning left onto the Crest Trail (or PMT) they save several miles, but they miss some very cool stuff.

How many days do you want to hike? How many miles per day? Are you open to other suggestions? We get up there five or six times a year for weekend hikes, it's my favorite place.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Hello Ken,

Thanks for the suggestions. I have read more about the loop and we found another trek that had a smiliar loop, but that took us through so that we were going to the Wilburn Ridge as well.
    I just posted the link above to point out approx what we were going to do. I read about the Thomas Knob Shelter as well. But I appreciate any extra info you have to offer.
    We are going to be out for 4 days. I'm headed out the door right now, but will come back to post with a more specific loop details a little later! Thanks!

Hello Ken,

Sorry, but I guess when I thought I would have time to get back and post, it didn't happen. We just got back from a short vacation out visiting my son and his family.
    Here is a map that we are going to follow. So any suggestions are appreciated. We will be hiking 4 days so that we can enjoy it - plus we aren't spring chickens.

http://files.meetup.com/751131/Mount...ur%20Route.JPG

Images

Great hike, it's what I would have suggested. Hope you enjoy it.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

++ New Posts ++