WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Bag to quilt...what to buy???

After fighting with my down bag for a few years I've decided to switch to a quilt for all seasons. I toss and turn a lot and get tangled up with the bag...I currently use a marmot helium 15* down bag from late Sept to late April then switch to a 45*JRB Sierra stealth quilt. Looking for a good affordable, light 10* quilt....will be used I top of a xtherm mat. Prefer to be under $400....Will be used mainly on southern AT with a few fall trips out west. Any recs appreciated....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have 2 EE quilts, 30 & 20. Love them both, well made, light and a good value.

10 deg 850 fill, reg/reg, 22 oz, $335 to your door

Quote Originally Posted by Hosh View Post
    I have 2 EE quilts, 30 & 20. Love them both, well made, light and a good value.

10 deg 850 fill, reg/reg, 22 oz, $335 to your door
    Thx...are EE conservatively rated? I sleep lil cold think 10* good choice?

I don't think conservatively rated is the right term. For me, head wear and foot wear become a key ingredient as temperatures drop.

I was just in 45 deg overnights (guessing here, but we could see our breath at 8 pm) at 5300' in GSMNP and slept well in the 30 deg, no straps, foot box closed, ss top baselayer, lightweight beanie.

If I remember, the higher end quilts have a little more fill weight at a given temp rating than EE. They are/were more expensive

I would email Tyler at EE and get his advice.

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Thx...are EE conservatively rated? I sleep lil cold think 10* good choice?

I have a EE 20° quilt. Camped on the AT in the low 20° under a tarp was warm and comfy. I'm a male was using a Thermarest xtherm short with long johns.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheyou View Post
    I have a EE 20° quilt. Camped on the AT in the low 20° under a tarp was warm and comfy. I'm a male was using a Thermarest xtherm short with long johns.

Pad chioce is as important as quilt choice. Would have bin cold with a lesser pad.

For price and quality and customer service, you can't beat EE. Looking at their down fill weights comparable to to the same size and temp rating in other bags, they often contain an 1oz or so more of the same quality down. With a quilt, you also want to take your pad into concern,

Have you considered buying a used Katabatic Sawatch quilt? Stock Katabatic quilts(no overfill necessary) are one of the most conservatively temp rated quilts. Although quilt systems open up a can of worms of a fiddle factor and lots of ifs, ands, and buts I absolutely do believe Katabatic quilts can be said to be conservatively/accurately temp rated. Plus their attachment system is the best in my book critical in 10* winter temps when one expects to sleep at or possibly slightly below the quilt temp rating for a toss and turner. For myself, also as a toss and turner, I know if I'm opting for a quilt in those 10* temps and want to/need to! stay warm IMO there is less room for sleep system temp rating discrepancies, losing warmth, user/gear fiddle factor questions, etc. compared to using a 45* quilt in 45* temps.

I've never seen two people with the same quilt system considering the user, specific sleep clothes, under insulation, maybe shelter choice, etc are part of the sleep system.

https://backpackinglight.com/forums/...850fp-wr-down/

Journal Entries

A good deal on high quality quilts is hammock gear currently, and for past few yrs.$100 cheaper than some others, and also offer custom work and overfill, which the busier cottage makers that have gone "mainstream" no longer do.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 05-03-2016 at 14:18.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    A good deal on high quality quilts is hammock gear currently, and for past few yrs.$100 cheaper than some others, and also offer custom work and overfill, which the busier cottage makers that have gone "mainstream" no longer do.
    I would agree that HammockGear is an excellent choice and they're quilts are definitely rated conservatively.

+1000 on Hammock Gear

My Hammock Gear Burrow 20 Degree Quilt is my favorite piece of equipment. I favor by recommendation the sewn foot box.

http://www.hammockgear.com/down-quilts/

Carl

Just switched from a bag to a ZPacks quilt (40*) and so far I am liking it. Used it for my section thru the Smokies last week. Temp rating was dead on for me and the quality of the bag was great. I would size up one more in length if I were to to it again though as I personally like to have something bunched up around my neck.

Out of curiosity I compared the same size and type (0F) of quilts from EE (Revelation) and Hammock Gear (Burrow). Approximately the same length and width. EE's quilt had two more ozs of down (same 850 fill). So that should give you an idea that their ratings are pretty conservative also.

Either way, you can't go wrong. Both have a variety of color options and sizes. EE gives you the added option of sewn or open footbox, and vertical baffles vs horizontal baffles, which was the selling point for me (down doesn't shift to the sides while moving with vertical baffles).

Personally, a open foot box is better due to the ability to vent in higher temperatures. The opening that is left after zipping and clinching the foot box is pretty small. The weight penalty is almost negligible

Many would say that Quilts above 30º should be snapped for venting purposes. Below 30º that hole can cause a lot of heat loss; so most go with a Sewn Foot Box now. Hammock Gear and Undergrount Quilts are used by many Hammock Hangers. ZPacks puts out a very nice quilt but tends to be more expensive. EE has a lot of ground dwellers that are switching from Sleeping Bags. It was interesting to read DuneElliot's comparison. I looked at EE but couldn't be swayed from Hammock Gear Burrow and an UGQ 50º Flight Jacket. I like the personal touch of the Cottage Industry and being able to email or phone and discuss a purchase. The most important thing is that a person is happy with the purchase for years to come.
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA

I'm glad my foot box opens . I put a sock in the hole .

!0*? I'd be looking at something with a hood. I like the mont bell bags because you can move around and still have a hood. You will need head gear anyway, check these out.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheyou View Post
    I'm glad my foot box opens . I put a sock in the hole .
    regarding the hole, it is a probelm that needs to be dealt with especially in a 0* to 30* quilt that is not a sewn footbox. I ordered my HammockGear Burrow 10* with a footbox baffle. I am able to pull a bit of the baffle into the hole then cinch it down tight and it solves the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by gbolt View Post
    Many would say that Quilts above 30º should be snapped for venting purposes. Below 30º that hole can cause a lot of heat loss; so most go with a Sewn Foot Box now. Hammock Gear and Undergrount Quilts are used by many Hammock Hangers. ZPacks puts out a very nice quilt but tends to be more expensive. EE has a lot of ground dwellers that are switching from Sleeping Bags. It was interesting to read DuneElliot's comparison. I looked at EE but couldn't be swayed from Hammock Gear Burrow and an UGQ 50º Flight Jacket. I like the personal touch of the Cottage Industry and being able to email or phone and discuss a purchase. The most important thing is that a person is happy with the purchase for years to come.

I was thinking same about the sewn foot ax for a winter bag....I like the Velcro set up my 45* quilt but for cold weather rather have closed as my feet get cold.

Quote Originally Posted by martinb View Post
    !0*? I'd be looking at something with a hood. I like the mont bell bags because you can move around and still have a hood. You will need head gear anyway, check these out.
    I already have a lot of hoods on my sleep layers....

Cap 4 quarter zip hoody, montbell ul down parka, Houdini, helium 2 rain parka all have hoods....and fleece beenie...I've got more "HOODS" than Harlem!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++