WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Thoughts After My Recent BMT Hike

I recently completed a NoBo thru hike of the BMT. Started April 15th and finished 17 days later on May 1st. Figured I'd just throw some things out there that might be useful for anyone thinking about attempting it.

It is as quiet as everyone says. I met two other people going north and two going south. The Toccoa River Bridge area was busy on the weekend as was the Smokies but for the most part I hiked alone all day and camped alone all but 2 nights. Also, because of how quiet it is, you can hike naked without fear of butting up on anyone. I tested this with great success.

Maps are useful. I missed a turn on a road walk and went off trail once but never got lost. The maps (and guide book) helped with keeping me aware of what was coming next. While I never needed advanced map and compass skills, just knowing where I was and what direction I was supposed to be headed in was a huge asset. Plus with it being such an empty trail it's good to know your bail out options should you need them.

It wasn't as overgrown and unmaintained as I thought it would be. There are sections where you'll be dealing with a lot of fallen trees and vegetation that needs thinning off the trail but it wasn't enough to be an annoyance. I got a little scratched up from the thorny bushes but nothing major. You can see it's not well trampled but there's still a formed trail there.

Ticks were a pretty big issue for me. For the last week or so I was disposing of at least one a day. They were the worse for me on the Lakeshore Trail in the Smokies. Being low elevation and grassy saw them out in full force. Take bug spray or treat with permethrin if you're heading out there.

Resupply isn't too difficult, the towns all have a dollar store of some sort that carry the usual hiker fare. I did resupply at the Webb Brothers and options were definitely limited. You can still make do if you're not too picky.

Trail is a mix of some AT steep climbs and PCT gradual ascents and descents. I started out slow but by the end did a few 20 mile days. Your mileage may vary.

The Slickrock creek ford is no longer on the trail. The Noland Creek ford was a piece of cake.

Weather was hot and humid when I was out there with increasing frequency of evening thunderstorms. Spring or fall is ideal hiking time for this trail. I can't imagine how brutally hot it would be during summer.

I can definitely recommend staying at the Farmhouse Inn in Tellico Plains. It was my only town stay and it was perfect. Laura is such a friendly, hospitable person and even gave me a ride back to the trail the next day. The room was great, I got to soak in a tub, had superb morning breakfast and afternoon cookies and tea. Plus it's at the halfway point so a good time for a rest.

Not a lot of open mountain top views to be had out here. The trees tend to obstruct the views, especially when they've leafed out.

Water was never an issue. I would start each day with 2L and top up as needed. There are stretches where you can carry less but I just don't like stopping to filter water all the time.

Can't really think of anything else right now. Feel free to ask me anything you're curious about. It was a great little hike and I really enjoyed the solitude and beauty of it. I highly recommend it.

Images

you can hike naked without fear of butting up on anyone. I tested this with great success.

sweet..........

glad you had a good trip..........

Images

Not a lot of open mountain top views to be had out here.

hope you got a view up at the hangover.....

one of the best views in the southeast......

Taken into consideration. TU.

Two things I'd add. 1) the degree of over grown trail is dependent on several things like time of yr hiking, recent segment maintenance, recent weather, etc 2) Tellico Grains Bakery ^^^ ahh the sandwiches, baked goods, decent coffee in a historical setting, no stress atmosphere, great owners, great place to take in rainy day reading maps, etc

Quote Originally Posted by slims View Post
    . Also, because of how quiet it is, you can hike naked without fear of butting up on anyone. I tested this with great success.

Great trip report. Thx. I am one of those who would NOT like a naked hiker "butting up" on me. I can think of a few exceptions, but for the most part, no thanks. I'm heading out in a few weeks.I will not be wearing shorts. By late May, the vegetation (in spots) has thickened considerably. Was unaware of the Slickrock change although I do have the new guidebook, just haven't looked at it yet.

I recently completed a NoBo thru hike of the BMT. Started April 15th and finished 17 days later on May 1st. Figured I'd just throw some things out there that might be useful for anyone thinking about attempting it.

It is as quiet as everyone says. I met two other people going north and two going south. The Toccoa River Bridge area was busy on the weekend as was the Smokies but for the most part I hiked alone all day and camped alone all but 2 nights. Also, because of how quiet it is, you can hike naked without fear of butting up on anyone. I tested this with great success.

Maps are useful. I missed a turn on a road walk and went off trail once but never got lost. The maps (and guide book) helped with keeping me aware of what was coming next. While I never needed advanced map and compass skills, just knowing where I was and what direction I was supposed to be headed in was a huge asset. Plus with it being such an empty trail it's good to know your bail out options should you need them.

It wasn't as overgrown and unmaintained as I thought it would be. There are sections where you'll be dealing with a lot of fallen trees and vegetation that needs thinning off the trail but it wasn't enough to be an annoyance. I got a little scratched up from the thorny bushes but nothing major. You can see it's not well trampled but there's still a formed trail there.

Ticks were a pretty big issue for me. For the last week or so I was disposing of at least one a day. They were the worse for me on the Lakeshore Trail in the Smokies. Being low elevation and grassy saw them out in full force. Take bug spray or treat with permethrin if you're heading out there.

Resupply isn't too difficult, the towns all have a dollar store of some sort that carry the usual hiker fare. I did resupply at the Webb Brothers and options were definitely limited. You can still make do if you're not too picky.

Trail is a mix of some AT steep climbs and PCT gradual ascents and descents. I started out slow but by the end did a few 20 mile days. Your mileage may vary.

The Slickrock creek ford is no longer on the trail. The Noland Creek ford was a piece of cake.

Weather was hot and humid when I was out there with increasing frequency of evening thunderstorms. Spring or fall is ideal hiking time for this trail. I can't imagine how brutally hot it would be during summer.

I can definitely recommend staying at the Farmhouse Inn in Tellico Plains. It was my only town stay and it was perfect. Laura is such a friendly, hospitable person and even gave me a ride back to the trail the next day. The room was great, I got to soak in a tub, had superb morning breakfast and afternoon cookies and tea. Plus it's at the halfway point so a good time for a rest.

Not a lot of open mountain top views to be had out here. The trees tend to obstruct the views, especially when they've leafed out.

Water was never an issue. I would start each day with 2L and top up as needed. There are stretches where you can carry less but I just don't like stopping to filter water all the time.

Can't really think of anything else right now. Feel free to ask me anything you're curious about. It was a great little hike and I really enjoyed the solitude and beauty of it. I highly recommend it.
    I pretty much agree with everything that is said. When I section hiked it last year, we saw very few people, even in the smokies and we only hike on weekends. It was awesome. I don't mind camping with some people, but I am not a huge fan of hiking with people. I usually hike with a partner and we will talk for 30 minutes and then go an hour without talking. Talk for 10 minutes. An hour of not talking. It is just the way I like to hike. I couldn't get that on the AT as much. That is why I loved the BMT so much. If you enjoy your time alone, this is the trail for you.

Compared to the AT, I would say you need a little more planning than the AT. The AT is so hiker friendly and especially in the south. It is so easy in terms of hiker services, that I am pretty sure I could hike much of it without any planning at all. I certainly wouldn't recommend it though.

I did hike sections of the trail in the summer. It was very hot and some sections were very overgrown.

The trail has only 3 shelters Indian Rock Shelter, Fontana Dam Shelter, and Laurel something shelter, which is relatively close to the summit of Mt. Sterling.

Mt. Sterling offers amazing views. Stunning. I don't tend to linger at views for more than 5-15 minutes, but for this one I stayed for nearly 45 minutes. I would highly recommend scheduling your trip to try to camp there.

The 2014-2015 guide book does not have the re-route. You need to go online to SGT Rock's website and get the re-route portion here: http://bmtguide.com/errata.pdf
    Foothills Trail - 14
    Bartram Trail - 15 - Video
    Benton MacKaye Trail - 15 - Video
    AT - 15% complete
    Pinhoti Trail - 16 - Video

Did ticks and naked hiking become a problem?

Quote Originally Posted by 4shot View Post
    . Also, because of how quiet it is, you can hike naked without fear of butting up on anyone. I tested this with great success.

Great trip report. Thx. I am one of those who would NOT like a naked hiker "butting up" on me. I can think of a few exceptions, but for the most part, no thanks. I'm heading out in a few weeks.I will not be wearing shorts. By late May, the vegetation (in spots) has thickened considerably. Was unaware of the Slickrock change although I do have the new guidebook, just haven't looked at it yet.
    The Slickrock change is on SGT Rocks errata page. It is considered the "new" BMT and is signed as such at the trail intersections in the area except for right at the beginning of the old and new trailheads. The old way is still signed as the BMT which I found a little odd.

Quote Originally Posted by Pots View Post
    Did ticks and naked hiking become a problem?
    Hahah thankfully no, and for the record everyone I tried it on a whim one day, it's not like I was out there for almost three weeks sans clothes.

slims...was it an easy hitch to get into Tellico Plains? according to the guidebook, it's 20 miles off the trail.

AO2134...thanks for the link. I have a copy of the errata in my guidebook now.

slims...was it an easy hitch to get into Tellico Plains? according to the guidebook, it's 20 miles off the trail.

I'd like to answer. Partly the ease of the hitch depends on the time of the yr and where you hitch from. On three different BMT hikes, two thrus one a section, I hitched into Tellico Plains and back to the trail with little fanfare or wait. Those were in Aug, Sept and Oct. On one of those BMT thrus I hitched into TP, grabbed some resupply, hitched back out to the BMT, realized I had left something valuable in TP, hitched back to TP, and hitched again back to the BMT. Took me a little about 2.5 hrs. I found nearby overlooks or road turn offs on Cherohala Skyways where cars could easily pull over or I could ask in person for a ride. FWIW, a long mileage hitch into town shouldn't always be thought of as problematic. In this case everyone is going your way likely into Tellico Plains and on the reverse back to the BMT going into the Robbinsville areas.

If you do get a nero or zero in TP check out Tellico Grains Bakery for coffee, sandwich, and some treats. It's all easily walkable.

appreciate the reply. I am really hesitant to plan resupply/mail drop or whatever at any place that requires a long hitch. I don't want to lose a half day or more waiting for a ride. If it's only 3 - 5 miles, it's no big deal because you can walk and hitch at the same time. So, if no one comes along your in town in short order anyways. Nor can one on the BMT pull the ol' AT trick of hiking into town with a pretty female hiker. Lastly, the only #@%& place on the AT where I could not hitch was in Erwin. For whatever reason, you just can't trust the people of TN to be friendly or hospitable.

Btw, heading to Springer in 2+ weeks.

Ahh Tipi is from TN and he's OK most of the time.

You were right on your ST/BMT thread. I brought some "attitude" to my post. Thx for helping me to realize it calling me out.

Have a great hike 4shot. If you like to fish consider tagging along a fishing pole at times on the BMT.

Images

For whatever reason, you just can't trust the people of TN to be friendly or hospitable

what?

i think im alright.....

and when are ya doing the BMT and what part?

if i am in town, and not having to work----i can easily be talked into doing a quick overnighter somewhere and giving you a ride into town............

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    what?

i think im alright.....

and when are ya doing the BMT and what part?

if i am in town, and not having to work----i can easily be talked into doing a quick overnighter somewhere and giving you a ride into town............
    The comment about TN was TIC (check out my location). I am heading to Springer in about 2 weeks (starting 5/28). I am going to do a thru hike but my wife will be with me to Thunder Rock so I am figuring 10-12 mpd at first. (I am just recovering myself from a leg injury that had me in a boot and on crutches). Would love the company if we can make it work. If not, i appreciate your generous offer TNHiker.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Ahh Tipi is from TN and he's OK most of the time.

You were right on your ST/BMT thread. I brought some "attitude" to my post. Thx for helping me to realize it calling me out.

Have a great hike 4shot. If you like to fish consider tagging along a fishing pole at times on the BMT.

I have never had the pleasure of meeting ol' Tipi but would like to...I enjoy his trip reports. No worries about the other thread, I probably over reacted a bit. And just might tote along a UL rod and reel. i have hiked all of the BMT north of Thunder Rock and know there is some great looking spots.

I hitched in from Tellico River Road instead of the highway and quickly got a ride. It was the weekend though and plenty of people were out fishing, sightseeing etc. I think it's a much quieter road during the week. I didn't have to worry about hitching back since I got a ride with the owner of the Farmhouse Inn where I stayed but I could see it being a tough hitch back.

Like others have said, getting there from the Highway 165 road crossing shouldn't be too difficult since traffic traveling that direction is likely going that way.

I wonder how many people who have done multiple thruhikes have decided to take the Benton Mackaye trail to the smokies instead of doing the AT again...it adds quite a few extra miles but if I were to ever attempt it again I think I'd want to see something different...and also to avoid the early crowds.

Images

The comment about TN was TIC (check out my location).Would love the company if we can make it work. If not, i appreciate your generous offer TNHiker.

yeah.......i caught your location..............

im in knoxville, so portions of the BMT arent too far of a drive for me----and i can somewhat be conned into doing an overnighter....

however, the month of june is busy for me between phish and dead shows and going home to take care of my parents......

but, i may be able to squeeze one in.....

Dogwood - you did what part (s) of the BMT in September / October? Did you have any encounters with hunters?
    I'm musing on a 10 day hike this year, end of September - early October have been wondering about that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
    Miles to go before I sleep. R. Frost

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++