WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I must say, I'm a little jealous/envious

I don't think I'm quite where you are mileage wise, not just yet anyway...

Best of luck to you, and looking forward to hearing anything about it when your done

u.w.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Blue View Post
    Good luck! But it sounds more like a "Four State Challenge Yo Yo" than an eight state challenge.
    What he said...
    Formerly uhfox

Springer to Bear Mountain Inn, NY
    N Adams, MA to Clarendon VT
    Franconia Notch to Crawford Notch

Malto did you ever do this?

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Malto did you ever do this?
    Hmmmm.....
    Well, I'm sue not Malto, but/and

perhaps you just didn't read, but....... just a few posts back

Quote Originally Posted by Malto
    Bright (or not) and early (likely very early) I will be heading out of Penmar south on the "8 state challenge". Weather looks great, almost a full moon one of the longest days of the year and I am feeling great. For the first time in a long time I will be pushing all out to test the limits of 24 hour mileage ability. The total out and back will be about 86 miles and my goal is to beat my previous 43 hour time for the route. I look forward to meeting a few hikers, already gave 4 hikers and a hiking dog a ride into Waynesboro. If your out and about in the area, I will be wearing a blaze orange visor. Full report n my return.

Which was posted last night...... so, if I were a bet'n man, I'd betcha that he did more or less exactly what he said he would. That being start nice and early this morning.

u.w.

Journal Entries
    Images

Passed him just north of the I70 crossing around 10am...seemed fresh and moving quickly.
    Plaid is fast! Ticks suck, literally... It’s ok, bologna hoses off…
    Follow my hiking adventures: https://www.youtube.com/user/KrizAkoni
    Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/alphagalhikes/

Quote Originally Posted by u.w. View Post
    Hmmmm.....
    Well, I'm sue not Malto, but/and

perhaps you just didn't read, but....... just a few posts back

[/COLOR]Which was posted last night...... so, if I were a bet'n man, I'd betcha that he did more or less exactly what he said he would. That being start nice and early this morning.

u.w.
    naw sir, sure didn't, thanks.

Images

Default AN epic failure???

Back home in Hershey after pulling the plug at mile 56 (gapland on the return). My pace on the outbound was good up until Harper's Ferry and then all hell broke loose. On the climb to Loudin Heights I could tell I was hitting the wall, no big deal I have managed that in the past. AT that point I had consume bottles of Malto and some other carbs but I had only managed to eat about 3500 calories, low but critically

I made good time back to Harper Ferry but made a strategic mistake, I should have stopped and switched out at least of my remaining food because I was unable to eat anything. I didn't because I had thought the cause of this was the heat and I was hiking into the setting sun and cooler temperatures. Unfortunately, it got worse. RIght before The climb up to Weaverton Cliff I was unable to eat or drink. Again, not too concerned. I paced up the climb and I started feeling really crappy. I laid down and that is when I left a bit of a trace, but it was mostly dry heaves. I ended up sleeping a few hours and by 3 am I started up again. At Gapland, mile 56, I still couldn't eat or drink and with an empty tank, very hot day and 30 miles remaining I pulled the plug and walked off the mountain, eventually hitch back to the start.

The 56 miles is my second longest 24 hour distance. My pace was great but my fueling was insufficient to push beyond 50 miles in those conditions. I put the question marks at the end of the title because while I failed to do what I set out to do, anytime you push the limits and learn it is a success. In this case I need to go back what the proven fueling strategy and rely more on Malto mix then other foods even those that I normal resist. NOw that I am partially rehydrated and refueled with a $17 breakfast I am felling great.

It was nice meeting two more WBers as well as four other that were doing a single 4-state trek. I also had the pleasure of talking with a trail maintainer that had run the double in under 24 hours. That was significantly fast than my 42 hours that I did on my first successful attempt.

trip breakout
    35 miles of type 1 fun.
    15 miles of type 2 fun.
    6 miles of no fun.

all and all, not a bad percentage.
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

WoW! & welcome back,

Thank you for posting the lessons learned. Glad to hear you now feeling great. Seventeen dollar breakfast, Nice! No doubt you'll now kill it (the 8 state challenge) next time out.

I've never messed with the Malto mix, but have seen a few mention it. Makes me think at least trying it, on big-ish mileage sections, is definitely worth a try. Not to mention if/when I get back into the longer runs.

u.w.

279.6 Miler (Tanyard Gap) CamelMan's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    The 56 miles is my second longest 24 hour distance.
    Still awesome no matter what!

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

The 56 miles is my second longest 24 hour distance.
    You should really consider buying a car.

It sounds like you're being a bit had on yourself. 56 Miles in 24 hours is still epic. Looks like you've already done a good analysis of what you did right and wrong which you can use in the future. Look forward to hearing about your next adventure!
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Not bad atol.

How'd it go?

Look up five posts.

Images

Default Battered, Bruised but not Broken

Had another go at this hike. I decided to do it a bit differently than my previous two attempts. I started at Reno Monument and went North, South then north. I had a great plan, start at 3am and go as late as possible to push my 24 hour hiking limit, which was 57.4 miles. This plan lasted until I got out of my car and then perfect evening weather convinced me to leave immediately. So at 8pm I was off. Friday night I took one break, a little under 3 hours taking a two hour nap. I arrived back at Reno at about 3:30 with 49 miles complete. I swapped out shoes, Lone Peaks for my tried and true Wildcats and ate some turkey sandwiches and two liters of Gatoraid slushies. Off I went south and at 8pm, 24 hours I was decending from Weverton Cliffs a total of 61.7 miles which was a 24 hour PR. I hiked the rest of the way to VA and spent a few hours sleeping. At 5:00am I knocked off the remaining 19 miles and finished a bit after 11am.

Couple of interesting learnings.
    1) I had no issues with fueling in huge contrast to my attempt two weeks earlier. I believe I know what caused those issues, I didn't drink enough fluids. I drank a highly concentrated Malto mix along with two Mountain Dews between miles 25 and 50 with little water, the osmolality was out of whack. More on that here: http://fellrnr.com/wiki/The_Science_of_Energy_Gels. I did a slightly different mix this trip making 600 calories in 32 oz. that included both Malto and Fructose in the form of apple juice. This worked extremely well and I had great energy and little stomach discomfort the whole trip. I followed the wiki above to the letter.
    2) I wanted to push the limits to see how I would handle a lack of sleep. This went much better than expected. Starting at 8pm after being awake since 5 am put me in a sleep deprived state almost immediately. The 3 hour break really helped and I had no trouble staying awake from 3 am until after 10pm.
    3) I loved how the logistics worked out with the midpoint start. It allowed me to end Saturday in Va and enjoy both a sunset and sunrise in the Potomac Valley.
    4) The final 6 miles were some of my favorite miles ever. Something just clicked and I flew up and down the trail at walking speeds that were both effortless and extremely fast. It was almost as if my internal radar was laying out routes through the rocks with no thought.

Now that I have completed two successful doubles as well as the failed double I am done with this hike unless I get into trail running big time and do a serious sub 24 hour attempt. Having seen this trail 5-6 times at all times of day is enough.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

Images

Nice job Malto. Sounds like you had an amazing couple days and a great hike!

279.6 Miler (Tanyard Gap) CamelMan's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Congratulations! (And thanks for the useful link.)
    Last edited by CamelMan; 07-03-2016 at 21:39.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++