WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Cold Sleeper - Need different sleeping bag

Hey all, just got off my first ever section hike on Georgia AT! had some bad luck the first night and had to set up camp in the pouring rain with rapidly dropping temps to about ~35 degrees. It gave me the chance to learn that my 30 deg REI Polar Pod just won't cut it in the future. The next night it was warmer at 40 degrees but I still was chilly and would like to go warmer. I don't plan on upgrading the sleeping bag for a few months at least but I would like some direction on a good quality bag under or around 150-200$.

The end goal is to thru hike or do a long section on the AT from Georgia and it would be around an early May start so I'm thinking a 20 deg bag might do the trick? I know the pros and cons of down vs synthetic and i have to say that synthetic is tempting after sleeping in one even tho I was pretty wet from the rain, but I would consider down. What do you all suggest? I want quality that will last me for years to come, thanks!!

Images

What pad were you using? What were you wearing to sleep? These things make a big difference, especially the pad.

That said, women often sleep colder, and the temp ratings tend to be for men. A 20F bag from one of the top bag makers might be better for a May start for you.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

What did you have underneath your sleeping bag? Were you wearing base layers and a hat? Socks? Did you eat well before bed? Did you heat up a bottle of water and bring it to bed with you?

EN comfort rating for women in that bag is 40 degrees. No wonder you were cold.
    Last edited by egilbe; 05-08-2016 at 18:22.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    What pad were you using? What were you wearing to sleep? These things make a big difference, especially the pad.

That said, women often sleep colder, and the temp ratings tend to be for men. A 20F bag from one of the top bag makers might be better for a May start for you.
    A good pad could be part of your solution.

Massdrop has a Kelty 20 degree down bag for an OK price. It is the only bag I know of near your budget that might be warm enough for you.
    Or shop quilts. They tend to be lighter and lower priced than down bags of the same temperature rating.
    Definitely shop women's EN comfort ratings.
    The EN ratings are based on an R-5 pad under you and you wearing long under, socks, hat and gloves.
    I find that wool works best for all of those items.
    Test your gear in adverse conditions before starting a long hike.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

The problem here is that people spending $150 expecting to be warm at 30 degrees arent spending $ on an R5 pad.

I have a like new quality marmot helium 15 down bag I'll sell for $240 if interested. It's warm with a good pad to low 20's and I'm also a cold sleeper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was using the Z lite sol as my sleeping pad and admittedly did not have the right clothing for the trip. That being said, I still think the bag itself is not up to par for anything beyond summer sleeping. Ill definitely look at womens EN comfort ratings as thats something I didn't consider too much, and I will definitely be getting some solid baselayers and clothing. Thanks for the advice everyone! I've heard about the Kelty 20 deg bags (I think the cosmic is what I hear about?) any women out there with experience thru hiking with that? I just want to get some direction for a solid/safe choice assuming I have the Z lite sol and the right clothing.

I "google" online reviews. If people state that product runs warm or runs cold, I believe it.

I have a Hammock Gear Burrow 20 and XTherm small air mattress. I use a ground sheet. I have sleepwear, I can wear as long underwear all-day if cold. I wear a beanie, at night. I also have a face mask to help keep me warm, and keep moisture off the down top quilt. I also have dry socks for sleepwear. If really cold, I have an accessory hood that extends down over my shoulders.

Eat food, drink a little water: metabolism warms.

Couple of thoughts:

The z-lite sol is only R 2.6, not very warm if you are a cold sleeper in temperatures below 40 degrees or so.

A wet synthetic 30 degree bag is probably closer to a 50 or 60 degree bag, so, if your bag was wet, don't blame the bag. And, a wet 30 degree down bag becomes about an 80 degree bag, so if you are not confident that you can manage to keep your gear dry, synthetic is probably your better option even when compared to "dry down.

Women's EN is about 6-10 degrees colder than the men's EN rating. So you don't necessarily need to know the women's EN rating, you just need to know that a men's EN of 30 is really closer to a 40 for a woman, or a men's EN of 20 is closer to a 30 for women.

It might be well worth working on dialing in your pad and clothing system while still using your Polar Pod, as there is no reason you shouldn't be able to figure out how to stay warm in 35 degree weather in a 30 or 40 degree bag, and dialing in your pad and clothing with a bag that isn't overkill is a good skill to have so you're not carrying extra unnecessary insulation and/or you can figure out how to stay warm in unexpectedly harsh conditions if needed.

Relative to your Polar Pod, two more backpacking oriented, women's specific, synthetic bags, still from REI, are the Carina 32 and Lyra 24, both good and in your price range.
    If you want to go with down, it does last significantly longer if cared for and is lighter and more compressible, and more expensive. And there are some workable options in the $200 range.

Good luck
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

I started a thread, about setting up shelter in the rain, that may be a help.

I have my sleep-system inside a separate dry-bag inside my backpack, as insurance. I air it, first thing before I pack it, so it is not damp from perspiration or respiration or condensation during the night.

I use a bug bivy to keep it clean and altogether, during the night.

I wash my clothing, at every convenience. I wash myself, every night before sleep, because clean gear is warmer.

I avoid wearing my outerwear clothing, for sleeping, keeping it either at the foot inside or under my down quilt, so it is nice to put on when I get up.

I avoid hard-face nylon fabric because it feels cold, to the touch. Soft-face nylon or brushed nylon is not as cold, to the touch. Other fabrics, are nice too.

These are some of my "keeping warm" strategies: I am my own "central heating".

The clothing and gear works, or not, as it helps your own "central heating".

Some food items help me feel warmer, than other food. Find out what works for you.

If you can, do some "backyard camping".
    Last edited by Connie; 05-08-2016 at 23:02.

Quote Originally Posted by nsherry61 View Post

It might be well worth working on dialing in your pad and clothing system while still using your Polar Pod, as there is no reason you shouldn't be able to figure out how to stay warm in 35 degree weather in a 30 or 40 degree bag, and dialing in your pad and clothing with a bag that isn't overkill is a good skill to have so you're not carrying extra unnecessary insulation and/or you can figure out how to stay warm in unexpectedly harsh conditions if needed
    thank you for the advice! I will be trying to get those other variables in check for my next trip!

Quote Originally Posted by Connie View Post
    I started a thread, about setting up shelter in the rain, that may be a help.

I have my sleep-system inside a separate dry-bag inside my backpack, as insurance. I air it, first thing before I pack it, so it is not damp from perspiration or respiration or condensation during the night.
    i will for sure check out the thread on rain setting up thank you for the response!

I am also a cold sleeper. After struggling through a teen temperature night, I decided to not do that again. I went with a zero degree bag, and was perfectly cozy last March when the temp hit 15... wearing only base layer and using only a ProLite Plus.

Quote Originally Posted by MtDoraDave View Post
    I am also a cold sleeper . . . and was perfectly cozy last March when the temp hit 15... wearing only base layer and using only a ProLite Plus.
    FWIW: A prolite plus is R4.2 vs. the zlite which is only R2.6. One cannot underestimate the value of good ground insulation and good head and foot coverings.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Quote Originally Posted by Hikingmaddie View Post
    I was using the Z lite sol as my sleeping pad and admittedly did not have the right clothing for the trip. That being said, I still think the bag itself is not up to par for anything beyond summer sleeping. Ill definitely look at womens EN comfort ratings as thats something I didn't consider too much, and I will definitely be getting some solid baselayers and clothing. Thanks for the advice everyone! I've heard about the Kelty 20 deg bags (I think the cosmic is what I hear about?) any women out there with experience thru hiking with that? I just want to get some direction for a solid/safe choice assuming I have the Z lite sol and the right clothing.
    The Kelty bag that Massdrop has is the SB20. Head and shoulders above the Cosmic Down 20.
    If REI still makes them, a bag called the Igneo (men's) gets good reviews. There is a similar women's version, but the name escapes me at the moment.

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."

The women's bag is the Joule. EN Comfort rating of 23 degrees. Over budget. Wait for a sale.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

Images

Is the REI polarpod new? Can you return it and upgrade to a warmer bag without breaking the bank?

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy of PA View Post
    Is the REI polarpod new? Can you return it and upgrade to a warmer bag without breaking the bank?
    Brilliant! If it is less than 1 year old, yes!
    R-5 pad budget friendly idea: Buy another Z-pad thingy and use both together when it's cold. That's way cheaper than the big bucks R-5+ pads.

Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Brilliant! If it is less than 1 year old, yes!
    R-5 pad budget friendly idea: Buy another Z-pad thingy and use both together when it's cold. That's way cheaper than the big bucks R-5+ pads.

Wayne
    The Polar Pod only cost me about 35$ total as I got it on a years end sale with a REI coupon so I'm not out too much money and figured if I ended up needing something warmer I can always find a use for it as i live in Florida with some very warm temps I would like to keep the same pad and work on my layering, but if I still have issues I will have to look into something with a better R value. Lots of opportunities to learn & find a better fitting set up with summer around the corner!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++