WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Journal Entries
    Images

Marmot starlight super easy if the fly is on when I roll it up, which I will have that way for this propose. I have the 2p but I assume the 1p is the same way. Depends on you.

I think that you can setup pretty much any shelter in rain.
    I tried this with my MSR Hubba Hubba NX, and while the guy in the shop had stated it wouldn't be possible, it worked just fine:

- select camp spot carefully
    - throw out the poles and flat-layout them in full shape
    - throw the rainfly atop the poles
    - creep in beneath the rainfly (now you are already a bit of out of the rain, and can take your time)
    - connect the rainfly to the pole's ends (the rainfly will form a flat dome, stretched by the poles, so now you have quite a shelter already and your partner, if any, can come in as well)
    - get rid of your soaking-wet raingear and pack, place it under the soon-to-be vestibule
    - unpack the groundsheet, spread it and connect it to the ends of the poles (from now on be very careful to keep off the clean side of the groundsheet with wet/dirty shoes and trousers)
    - unpack the stakes, stake out the vestibule from inside the tent
    - unpack the inner tent, connect it to the pole's ends and hook it to the arching poles
    - strip off any wet and dirty clothes, slip into the inner tent, unpack pad&sleeping bag and start to feel comfortable
    You may stake out the suspending lines later, when you have to make a bathroom run anyway. Most likely there will be a lull in the rain at some time later.

This had worked for me several times during my most recent trip.
    There had been rain, but no or low wind only.
    How to do this in rain and wind I have to work out yet.

I can set up my Tarptent Notch easily in the rain, because I strap it to the outside bottom of my pack. Dump the gear in the vestibule, back into the tent, close the vestibule, take off my shoes. Easy.

My buddy got a Lightheart Solong, and it might even be easier. Stake the corners, then bring your poles with you, and climb into the tent before it's up. You can set the poles from within.

Even if you figure out how to keep your tent completely dry while you set it up you are then going to get in it with all your gear that is already wet. If it rains, you're going to be wet. Accept that idea and you will have a good time. If you don't accept that idea you'll probably be miserable. I'd rather have an extra set of dry socks than a pair of rainpants or gaiters.

Quote Originally Posted by Puddlefish View Post
    I can set up my Tarptent Notch easily in the rain, because I strap it to the outside bottom of my pack. Dump the gear in the vestibule, back into the tent, close the vestibule, take off my shoes. Easy.

My buddy got a Lightheart Solong, and it might even be easier. Stake the corners, then bring your poles with you, and climb into the tent before it's up. You can set the poles from within.
    Sure is...another plus for the Solong6...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Sure is...another plus for the Solong6...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes but when you take down these types of tents with the rain fly attached, everything gets wet when you stuff/roll the sodden bundle. Give me a shelter with the rain fly detached and the ability to set up/take down the rainfly independent of the tent inner.

Quote Originally Posted by daddytwosticks View Post
    Yes but when you take down these types of tents with the rain fly attached, everything gets wet when you stuff/roll the sodden bundle. Give me a shelter with the rain fly detached and the ability to set up/take down the rainfly independent of the tent inner.
    Yes, but in agreement with Bronk above, when it's really wet and persistently so, everything is going to be wet (or pretty darn damp) anyway. Keep the sleeping bag/quilt and some sleeping clothes as dry (or least damp) as possible, make the psychological adjustment for wetness, and that's about as good as it gets.

I was fortunate, in that I was on the trail at a time when there were rarely three days of rain in a row. With the notch, I didn't store the inner and outer portions separately, because for me it wasn't worth the time and the crawling around. If I were on a more remote trail, I'd probably take the extra time to keep the inner bivy dry-ish.

Generally, I had a dry tent the first night of rain, then the tent was evenly damp after getting rolled together. The second day, would often have a dry stretch where I could hang the tent up on a windy ridgeline, bald or such and dry it out. If not, then I didn't particularly mind a night or two in a damp tent.

I hit my comfort/whining limit at three nights in a wet tent, at which point I'd actively start seeking a hostel with laundry facilities. I recommend calling ahead when possible as everyone else wants to get out of the rain at this point as well.

They all get wet!!! It gives me an excuse to stop for a nice long break mid day to air it out....
    Just have to be careful I about lost one at Wayah bald...wind picked up and almost got away....expensive kite!

I thought that setting up a Tarptent Rainbow/Double Rainbow in the rain/anytime was pretty quick. 1 tent pole and 4 stakes...throw your gear in the tent then adjust as needed!

•Completed A.T. Section Hike GA to ME 1996 thru 2003 •Donating Member Skyline's Avatar
    Images

Part of the key to keeping the "important stuff" dry is to not need to expose it to rain in the first place.

Toward that end, my single-wall tent and ground cloth are always packed in their own stuff sack, strapped to the rear outside of my pack which hopefully has its own pack cover on it. Tent poles and stakes are in their own narrow stuff sack, strapped securely into one of my pack's mesh side pockets (where you might otherwise keep a water bottle handy).

Upon arrival at camp while raining (unless it appears the rain may stop soon -- you may develop a sixth sense for this eventually), I take my pack off, lean it against a tree, clear a site of rocks and branches, and reach under the pack cover to retrieve the stuff sacks containing my tent and poles/stakes.

I lay out the poles first, then put down the ground cloth, and position the tent on top of that -- quickly. From there it's a minute or so for the freestanding tent to be fully erected. Inside stays relatively dry. I then stake it out until taut, and throw my pack inside. I follow quickly, take off my boots, laying them in the vestibule, and zip up the tent. I use some of those reusable blue shop towels (sold in many stores in a roll) that I carry in a ziploc in the same side pocket as the poles/stakes to sop up the majority of water that has made its way inside (you can't help it -- water will splash from your clothing and the gear -- but if you do it fast and efficiently, not enough to be a big deal).

It's good to dry off not only the tent floor but also the pack cover, rain jacket, etc. Put these in your vestibule if there's room while you continue to make camp.

Now, I have a 95% dry or barely damp tent interior, and I can unpack everything and set up my home for the night, unrushed, and unconcerned with the rain falling outside. If you are soaked, it's a great idea to change into your dry set of clothes ASAP. Don't wait until you get hypothermic.

You will need to leave your tent several times (to get water, privy, hang bear bag, etc.) until you're ready to break camp in the morning. If still raining, and if your tent's config would let rain fall in when you open the "door,", move sleeping bag and anything else important out of the way before exiting. Put on rain gear to protect your dry clothes. Sop up any mess with a shop towel when you re-enter.

Sometimes it will be an all-night rain. For this reason, I often bring something to eat that does not require cooking. Although it would "probably" be safe to cook in my vestibule, ***** happens. I know what a disaster it would be if I caught a quick-burning tent on fire.

When ready to break camp in the morning, if it is STILL raining, I sort of reverse the process. Retrieve water filter, hanging bear bag, and whatever may be outside. Pack up everything I can while inside the dry(ish) tent's interior. Pack away my dry clothes; put wet clothes from yesterday back on (ugh!). Close up the pack, put the pack cover on, put on rain gear/boots, and place the now-covered pack against a tree. Break down the tent as quickly as possible. Shake water from the tent and ground cloth, and quickly put them in their stuff sack. Fold up the poles, and put them plus stakes in their stuff sack. Reach under the pack cover to secure both stuff sacks to your pack, and I'm ready for another day of hiking.

During the day, if the sun comes out and more rain is not imminent, if I find a place with some direct sunlight, I take the opportunity to unpack nearly everything, lay it out, and let the sun dry it. This includes the wet blue shop towels. Everything but the tent should only take a few minutes. Gear will thank you, and it will last longer. The pack gets a few pounds lighter. If I will be setting up camp again tonight, having dry shop towels allows me to wipe down the tent interior when I set it up.

By keeping the wet tent on the outside of my pack, the wet tent doesn't cause everything else inside the pack to get any wetter than it otherwise did. At most, everything else should just be a little damp.

My example uses an old-style (early 00's) Eureka Zeus 2 single-wall tent, plenty of interior room, about 3 lbs. This is my second one. First one lasted about 12 years. That said, it's not for everyone; the Zeus 2 can attract condensation until you learn how to ventilate better and that can be aggravating. The shop towels work well if it does. But many other systems could benefit from the concept of keeping shelter on the outside of the pack.

This is one reason to have an umbrella, so your partner can cover you setting up the tent in the rain. Otherwise, work very fast!

Journal Entries

Usually if it is pouring rain I am already soaked so while it would be nice to get under cover to set up the tent, practically I am already soaked. Though the situation of a just starting rain may make a difference in staying dry.

The ability to keep the interior of the tent dry while setting up seems to be more of a practical consideration.

Just to add, my car camping pop-up tent (set up time less than 5 seconds of not staked, including removing it from the bag) does well in these fast set up in the rain situations. Takedown is about 30s once the tricky folding is mastered.

The advantage of integral pitch tents (like all the double wall Tarptents) is that if packing up in the rain you can pack your night stuff , then take the inner down , shove that in your pack, then get your rain gear on and with the backpack already sealed up you can then take the fly down and put that under the lid or inside an outside pocket of your backpack.
    When you set it up that night (if you did not get the chance to dry the fly at lunchtime) the fly will still be wet but again you can set it up , get inside take some of your wet gear off open the pack (under cover...) get the inner out and attach that to the fly. So your fly will or could be wet but the inner will be dry.
    franco @tarptent

I would love to see Tarptents offered in CF as an option, even if it's not standard and a special order...I hate silnylon with a passion. A Stratospire in CF would be pretty close to my perfect tent!

Quote Originally Posted by DuneElliot View Post
    I would love to see Tarptents offered in CF as an option, even if it's not standard and a special order...I hate silnylon with a passion. A Stratospire in CF would be pretty close to my perfect tent!
    I agree! I would love a CF Notch!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++