WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Did I just turn into a poncho user?

Just hiked 2 days and 30 miles in a downpour in the sierras out in Ca.; I threw a frog togs poncho in my pack before leaving that I bought and had not used for 2 years now. While out hiking I had my usual high dollar-high zoot jacket (7oz) but the group I was with ( as chaparone for an endurance backpacking event ) was moving at a crazy fast pace and it was just just too sweaty. I tossed the jacket in my pack and put on the poncho...
    WHO KNEW!!!! I absolutely loved it. When stopping I could fold it under me and sit on it and keep dry, it was big enough to go over me and my pack, sides opened and I could roll the front up for extra ventilation, and I could go on at how versatile it was.

Any suggestions on the best poncho out there? Should I just stick with the frogtogs and replace as needed?

The Packa gets great reviews

Journal Entries

If there is little chance of rain or cold I bring a $.99 emergency poncho. Super light and I did use one of them for 2 weeks during my thru for rain and warmth. Worked great and again is durable and reusable for in my case two weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images

A poncho is pretty good until the wind picks up. At that point you'll need some sort of around-the-poncho belt to keep it under control.

The frogtogs and little emergency ponchos are but a tiny hint of what a poncho can be.

Get a good and real poncho.

The Packa is a great idea, but still has a lot of coat properties regarding ventilation and does not allow you to pull in your head and use your poncho as a portable wearable tent with your head and hands inside to eat, navigate, etc in the dry during a rain storm. The Packa also doesn't double as a tarp.

A real poncho has more length for covering your backpack, has snaps along the sides to help control the floppiness of the poncho, and in many cases is big enough to double as tarp for a very functional shelter, ground cloth, picknick table-cloth, gear sorting/breakout platform, etc. I've also found the frogtogs ponchos tend to pick up dirt, and twigs and are not very durable.

Sea-to-summit makes several (I think 3) ponchos, some very light and durable. There are also several cottage companies that make reputable ponchos. Google ultralight poncho and you'll get lots of hits.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Quote Originally Posted by nsherry61 View Post
    The frogtogs and little emergency ponchos are but a tiny hint of what a poncho can be.

Get a good and real poncho.

The Packa is a great idea, but still has a lot of coat properties regarding ventilation and does not allow you to pull in your head and use your poncho as a portable wearable tent with your head and hands inside to eat, navigate, etc in the dry during a rain storm. The Packa also doesn't double as a tarp.

A real poncho has more length for covering your backpack, has snaps along the sides to help control the floppiness of the poncho, and in many cases is big enough to double as tarp for a very functional shelter, ground cloth, picknick table-cloth, gear sorting/breakout platform, etc. I've also found the frogtogs ponchos tend to pick up dirt, and twigs and are not very durable.

Sea-to-summit makes several (I think 3) ponchos, some very light and durable. There are also several cottage companies that make reputable ponchos. Google ultralight poncho and you'll get lots of hits.

Frogtogs does seem to be a little fragile but I had no issues, I loved how a poncho felt like a personal tent when we stopped; I could pull my arms in, take my pack off and grab stuff out of it while keeping everything dry.

Love to hear others experience with ponchos, pros and cons of different types.

Ponchos rock. In the attached picture, my brother-in-law and I are skiing in Oregon two years ago. The sun came out and the trees were raining melted snow on us.

Phil & Nelson skiing with ponchos.jpg

Ponchos are by far the best rain-gear I've found for high-exertion outdoor activities. The exception is for steep and/or technical climbing for which they suck. When climbing off-trail in really steep conditions you trip over the front of them and you can't see your feet, and yes, in winds greater than 30 mph, a coat does work better and ventilation is less of a problem. I haven't used a raincoat backpacking or hiking in years.

Images

Now you've piqued my interest and I have to try hiking with a poncho. It won't draw nearly the weird looks I get dayhiking with an umbrella.
    "Är huvudet dumt får kroppen lida."

Translated - "If the head is dumb the body suffers."

You can also drop the kids at the pool in privacy when nature calls.

My wife and I use an umbrella for sunny days as we are both "melanin deficient". I guess a poncho might work for sunny days for UV protection? I like the kids who say to their parents "it's not even raining?"
    ..But back to the poncho.

I am sure there are some avid poncho wearers out there with some suggestions for more poncho options. I think the paka looks like it wouldn't have as much ventilation with dedicated sleeves and would be hard/near impossible to put on and take of your pack.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    You can also drop the kids at the pool in privacy when nature calls.
    ahhhh, a nice feature for sure on hikes above tree line especially!

My S2S poncho/tarp weighs 6.7oz while my Luke's Ultralight jacket and Zpacks rain kilt weigh 8.2 ounces. In the summer, my poncho ventilates better when I don't want to trap warmth in and also acts as a secondary pack cover. Ponchos rule!

Be aware that donning and taking off a poncho (over your Backpack) in the rain especially in the morning rain is a clumsy event😨
    I have tried Poncho, rain suit (Goretex _not _ Frog-Togs), and now have a Packa. As with all else, YEMV.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
    Miles to go before I sleep. R. Frost

Quote Originally Posted by capehiker View Post
    My S2S poncho/tarp weighs 6.7oz while my Luke's Ultralight jacket and Zpacks rain kilt weigh 8.2 ounces. In the summer, my poncho ventilates better when I don't want to trap warmth in and also acts as a secondary pack cover. Ponchos rule!
    I love the idea of the kilt... The jacket I generally use (when I can pick my own pace) is my Marmot Essence 6oz and really like it and will continue to use it often however I was just amazed how great the poncho worked. I could unbutton the sides of the poncho and roll the front up using it like a cape, button the sides up and slide my arms in and take my pack completely off while keeping dry, I could misalign the snaps and make it longer or shorter in the front or back; I could take it completely off or put it on while hiking and attach it to a shoulder strap with an elastic toggle strap in its bag with the included storage bag... I think I will get a little larger bag for it to make that a little easier. I can see how it might not be the greatest in windy or bushwhacking situations.

Quote Originally Posted by poolskaterx View Post
    . . . I can see how it might not be the greatest in windy or bushwhacking situations.
    I've been surprise at how well my ponchos work in windy conditions, so long as I have them tied around my waste. I'm also surprised at how well they work bushwhacking. I always figured they get in the way or get torn up more than other rain-gear, but I've done some pretty rough bushwhacking with a silnylon poncho, and neither of us were much worse from the wear.

I don't like doing camp chores, like cooking, collecting fire wood, pitching a tent, etc., in a poncho as it falls in front of you and gets in the way. A poncho also gets in the way of your feet and seeing your feet when climbing steep off-trail type stuff. But then, tying it around your waste helps with this stuff also.

++ New Posts ++