WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default 14ers fron the CT

I am asking this although I know it has been covered many times, here and elsewhere. I have just gotten so much good advice here I wanted your opinions.

I want to be familiar with my options for 14ers from the CT. I plan on the CW route, but who knows. I see the following as the most convenient (on paper) from the CT/CW: Massive, Elbert, La Plata, Huron and San Luis. Any comments on these? Advice on which of these are more rewarding or which aren't as worthy?

My final route will of course be determined by things out of my control such as time, timing, weather etc etc etc. I always remain flexible so I would like to know what options are looking good when I get nearby. I certainly will not bag all of them. For the record the Grand Teton is the highest mt I have summited, so any one of these would be sweet from that perspective.

Also, I don't hear much about worthy 13ers near the trail. I would very much like to hear suggestions on any of these that might be rewarding and convenient from the CT.

Any other side trips I can add to the list of potential add-ons? I may not have time for much more than the CT, but I would like to have some options ready when I am out there, just in case I can squeeze in an extra.

Thanks WB you are an excellent resource!

Ther are numerous 13'rs along the trail. IMO, they are a much better alternative to the 14'rs. The 14'rs are being loved to death. If you like hordes of people, great, but the 13'rs are just as challenging, there are more of them, and you don't have to wait in line to summit.
    May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.

~ Edward Abbey

Images

Quote Originally Posted by bearcreek View Post
    Ther are numerous 13'rs along the trail. IMO, they are a much better alternative to the 14'rs. The 14'rs are being loved to death. If you like hordes of people, great, but the 13'rs are just as challenging, there are more of them, and you don't have to wait in line to summit.
    On weekends, sure, but if you time it nicely, you can enjoy the 14ers with minimum "crowds". But yeah, nothing magic about being just above 14000 when there at roughly 600 13ers...

First thought, include Elbert (our highest 14er) and Huron (a 14er), both right along the way. If you climb it on a weekday, you'll probably own Huron. Elbert... probably see a lot of folks, even on a weekday. Mt. Hope, a high-100 high 13er, is a short climb from Hope Pass, along the CW route. You'll probably own it. Tabaguache (pronounced "tab-a-wash" and Shavano, a nice 14er pair is close, might be a bit crowded. All of the above are easy hikes. you'll be passing near the Three Apostles, but not that close and they are kinda tricky.

Lots more, I'll stare at a map later and get back....

Great input, thanks. I look forward to some suggestions of other nice 13ers with convenient access. In your opinion, is Huron a better climb than Massive? I suppose the big drawback with Massive is crowds?

If you start early enough you are on top long before most of the horde. You will meet them coming down of course but who cares.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Garlic
    Images

As I hiked the CW route last year, I could see the Three Apostles and fondly remembered that climb, far more than any of the 14ers I passed.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Images

Quote Originally Posted by archie View Post
    Great input, thanks. I look forward to some suggestions of other nice 13ers with convenient access. In your opinion, is Huron a better climb than Massive? I suppose the big drawback with Massive is crowds?
    Both are fairly boring climbs, easy trail hikes really, but Huron has better views IMHO, spectacular views of the Apostles, for example. And yes, Massive would probably be more crowded.

I would not climb both Elbert and Massive, choose one. Elbert is the highest 14er in Colorado, the second highest peak in the 48 states.

More tomorrow....

In the shadow of Segments 22 and 23 between Lake City & Silverton.

Go ahead and summit San Luis Peak. It's right off the CT and is probably the least hiked 14er. Ron ��

Images

Quote Originally Posted by San Juan Ron View Post
    Go ahead and summit San Luis Peak. It's right off the CT and is probably the least hiked 14er. Ron ��
    I kind-of agree, though there is a much more enjoyable 13er right there, nice little scramble near the top, point 13,155. At mile ~8.8 of section 20, instead of hanging a right to go up San Luis, hang a left and scramble up point 13,155. I fondly remember this little scramble, which we did as an add-on when I reclimbed San Luis with my wife.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    On weekends, sure, but if you time it nicely, you can enjoy the 14ers with minimum "crowds". But yeah, nothing magic about being just above 14000 when there at roughly 600 13ers...

First thought, include Elbert (our highest 14er) and Huron (a 14er), both right along the way. If you climb it on a weekday, you'll probably own Huron. Elbert... probably see a lot of folks, even on a weekday. Mt. Hope, a high-100 high 13er, is a short climb from Hope Pass, along the CW route. You'll probably own it. Tabaguache (pronounced "tab-a-wash" and Shavano, a nice 14er pair is close, might be a bit crowded. All of the above are easy hikes. you'll be passing near the Three Apostles, but not that close and they are kinda tricky.

Lots more, I'll stare at a map later and get back....
    CR
    Looks like I'll be doing the collegiate loop in September with the pup. Planning to stay at leadville hostel the first night then dropping rental car and hitching to twin lakes...start clockwise with a Resupply box at MPHS late day 3. Day 5 monarch gift store hitch into Salida where I'll have my resupply box at hotel. Mid morning next day hitch or shuttle back to monarch after breakfast. Finish on the tenth day where I'll hitch back to leadville hostel for the final night. My flight out of Denver will be around 6 pm the following day so I'd like to summit a good 14er that's near leadville or twin lakes. How long should I allow summit without a gear load as I'll leave most stuff in car. Also what 14ers are on loop that you recommend climbing? Thx...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    CR
    Looks like I'll be doing the collegiate loop in September with the pup. Planning to stay at leadville hostel the first night then dropping rental car and hitching to twin lakes...start clockwise with a Resupply box at MPHS late day 3. Day 5 monarch gift store hitch into Salida where I'll have my resupply box at hotel. Mid morning next day hitch or shuttle back to monarch after breakfast. Finish on the tenth day where I'll hitch back to leadville hostel for the final night. My flight out of Denver will be around 6 pm the following day so I'd like to summit a good 14er that's near leadville or twin lakes. How long should I allow summit without a gear load as I'll leave most stuff in car. Also what 14ers are on loop that you recommend climbing? Thx...

I'm traveling in the UK for 3 weeks, home in 10days, lousy wifi, tiny phone, I'll respond better when home, but off the bat, climb Huron on loop, then Elbert from Leadville when done, get early start.

Default Three 14'ers in a day

It's fairly easy to modify your hike a bit past Twin Lakes by going over Hope Pass on the Collegiate West route and instead of heading west to Winfield at 01-098AP, continue on good trail down to CR390 and hike east on the road about 1-1/2 miles to the Missouri Gulch Trailhead, then follow the Missouri Gulch trail up to the south. If you camp up there somewhere, it is not too difficult to summit Mt. Oxford (14,153'), Belford (14,197') and Missouri (14,067') in a single day. It is easy to return to the CT east route by continuing up and over Elkhead Pass and following the Pine Creek Trail to where it intersects the CT at L064BR. (Mile 197.4)
    May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.

~ Edward Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by bearcreek View Post
    It's fairly easy to modify your hike a bit past Twin Lakes by going over Hope Pass on the Collegiate West route and instead of heading west to Winfield at 01-098AP, continue on good trail down to CR390 and hike east on the road about 1-1/2 miles to the Missouri Gulch Trailhead, then follow the Missouri Gulch trail up to the south. If you camp up there somewhere, it is not too difficult to summit Mt. Oxford (14,153'), Belford (14,197') and Missouri (14,067') in a single day. It is easy to return to the CT east route by continuing up and over Elkhead Pass and following the Pine Creek Trail to where it intersects the CT at L064BR. (Mile 197.4)
    Any idea how many extra miles that adds to the loop? I've got 10 days. Any idea how long it takes a hiker in good shape to summit Elbert? Thinking I'll try to do day after I finish loop. My flight out of Denver looks to be at 6pm...

[QUOTE=saltysack;2070787]Any idea how many extra miles that adds to the loop? I've got 10 days. Any idea how long it takes a hiker in good shape to summit Elbert? Thinking I'll try to do day after I finish loop. My flight out of Denver looks to be at 6pm.../[QUOTE]

This would not make the hike much, if any, longer, but if you are doing the loop you would have to do Hope Pass twice in order to get back to Twin Lakes.

~ Edward Abbey

Images

Just another opinion, but I recommend not diverting to Missouri, Belford and Oxford. Particularly with a small dog, as I seem to remember you have. doing this trio means actually doing Belford twice, as unless you want to buskwhack down Oxford, you pretty much have to come back over Belford a second time. No big deal, but this makes the day that much longer. I've done the MBOB (Missouri, Belford, Oxford, Belford) or the BOBM (reverse) many times, and it's a really nice workout, but really, Belford and Oxford, in particular, are nothing special. You could just do Belford once and skip Oxford, of course.

Missouri is kinda cool, actually. There is a tad of "class 2+" semi-scrambling along Missouri's ridge, but I believe a small dog would have no problem with a boost or two, nothing exposed to a big fall.

I'd definitely climb Huron, easy 14er, but exta special views. Include Mt. Hope, a high-100 when you go over Hope pass, easy side climb. Towards the south end on the east side, there's a nice duo, Shavano and Tabaguache, easy hikes, but you do have to do Shavano twice.

Wait! sorry, I just repeated myself, I've been in the UK for 3 weeks, lagged out. I'll leave the post as is though to emphasize.

Princeton and antero are two of my least favorite 14ers, just slogs up 14000' high bumps. Princeton is slightly better than Antero. Antero is annoying because you'll be dodging jeeps up high.

Elbert would be a nice add on at the end of your trip, but it is a 7-8 hour roundtrip climb/descent, so if you want to catch a 6pm Denver flight, I suggest starting at 4am. Figure 3.5-4 hours to DIA from the trailhead, you probably want to be rolling at noon-12:30. Also, if this will be on a Sunday, forget about it. I70 back into Denver will be packed and it will add a couple hours to your drive. you could drive home via 285, would probably save time over I70 on a sunday, but still longer than I70 on a weekday. BTW: I much prefer the SE ridge route from the Twin Lakes trailhead over the standard north route from Halfmoon. Both are about equal in effort. It should be slightly less crowded in the SE ridge.

All 14ers are extensively documented, by the way, on 14ers.com. I think you have to join to get nitty gritty details, but it is free to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    Just another opinion, but I recommend not diverting to Missouri, Belford and Oxford. Particularly with a small dog, as I seem to remember you have. doing this trio means actually doing Belford twice, as unless you want to buskwhack down Oxford, you pretty much have to come back over Belford a second time. No big deal, but this makes the day that much longer. I've done the MBOB (Missouri, Belford, Oxford, Belford) or the BOBM (reverse) many times, and it's a really nice workout, but really, Belford and Oxford, in particular, are nothing special. You could just do Belford once and skip Oxford, of course.

Missouri is kinda cool, actually. There is a tad of "class 2+" semi-scrambling along Missouri's ridge, but I believe a small dog would have no problem with a boost or two, nothing exposed to a big fall.

I'd definitely climb Huron, easy 14er, but exta special views. Include Mt. Hope, a high-100 when you go over Hope pass, easy side climb. Towards the south end on the east side, there's a nice duo, Shavano and Tabaguache, easy hikes, but you do have to do Shavano twice.

Wait! sorry, I just repeated myself, I've been in the UK for 3 weeks, lagged out. I'll leave the post as is though to emphasize.

Princeton and antero are two of my least favorite 14ers, just slogs up 14000' high bumps. Princeton is slightly better than Antero. Antero is annoying because you'll be dodging jeeps up high.

Elbert would be a nice add on at the end of your trip, but it is a 7-8 hour roundtrip climb/descent, so if you want to catch a 6pm Denver flight, I suggest starting at 4am. Figure 3.5-4 hours to DIA from the trailhead, you probably want to be rolling at noon-12:30. Also, if this will be on a Sunday, forget about it. I70 back into Denver will be packed and it will add a couple hours to your drive. you could drive home via 285, would probably save time over I70 on a sunday, but still longer than I70 on a weekday. BTW: I much prefer the SE ridge route from the Twin Lakes trailhead over the standard north route from Halfmoon. Both are about equal in effort. It should be slightly less crowded in the SE ridge.

All 14ers are extensively documented, by the way, on 14ers.com. I think you have to join to get nitty gritty details, but it is free to do so.
    CR...you think doing the loop the last week of sept is risky for weather?

If I were planning it, I would shoot to start within first week of Sep. This gets you done by mid-September. Last week in September could be a crap shoot. But, as soon as you say that then you have one of those fantastic falls...
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Images

Quote Originally Posted by lonehiker View Post
    If I were planning it, I would shoot to start within first week of Sep. This gets you done by mid-September. Last week in September could be a crap shoot. But, as soon as you say that then you have one of those fantastic falls...
    Agree 100%. Last week of September is getting pretty risky for a dump big enough and cold enough to interrupt your progress. Try for earlier in September if you can, though the second week should be fairly safe.

Did Huron while I was there. Pretty mild climb. So worth it!
    viewfrom Huron by ALN42701, on Flickr

How many monkey butlers will there be?

One at first. But he'll train others.

Journal Entries
    Images

I climbed Mt Elbert on a Thursday in July this year via North Mt Elbert Trail. I started at 0400. There was a couple a few minutes ahead of me and another guy started when I did. I eventually passed the couple. I was ahead of the other guy for awhile but he eventually out paced me. Once above treeline I stopped to take lots of pictures. At some point another early starter passed me. So there were 2 hikers ahead of me and 2 behind.

Although I had heard there were false summits, it didn't seem like there was one. As I was climbing the first one, another hiker that had started way earlier than anyone appeared, already heading down. After chatting with her for a few minutes, she informed me I was on the first false summit. No big deal, as I had expected one at some time. The first false summit is the hardest because there is still quite a bit of hiking left. And if you don't expect it, it can be very disappointing.

There is a rock cairn at the top of the second false summit and once you see the rock cairn you are 'almost there'. Pretty easy hiking from this point. The two guys that were ahead of me had already passed me on their way down, so I knew I would have the summit to myself.

So I started at 0400 from the Trailhead off of Halfmoon Creek Rd and finally summitted around 0730, about 3.5 hours of hiking and between 3.5-4 miles. I consider myself to be in fairly good shape. Other than stopping to take pictures I didn't really take an actual sit down break until the top.

And, of course, the views are awesome!

I hung out until about 0800, taking in the views and watching the clouds roll in. I was very glad to have the summit to myself. Unfortunately there was some trash there ... cardboard 'selfie' signs ... how disappointing that someone couldn't carry them down the day before (I did carry them down.)

As I started down, I encountered some hikers at the South Mt Elbert sign (you can see it in one of the pictures) who had hiked via that trail. Back at the rock cairn (same picture), I saw the couple that I had passed earlier. Again, 'almost there' from the rock cairn. At this point I really began to realize the importance of starting early on this hike, especially if you want the summit to yourself if even only for a few minutes.

By the time I was back at the first false summit, there were hikers everywhere. At some point, you can look over and see the South Trail, with numerous hikers on that trail as well. As I continued down, I kept encouraging hikers to look for the rock cairn. Although I wasn't counting the hikers, my guesstimate would be at least a couple of hundred and that is only on the North Elbert Trail. Obviously everyone won't be at the top at the same time, but I bet it was still very crowded.

I made it back to the trail head just after 1100. I was tired but it was a great hike!

My suggestions:

- start very early, not only because of crowds but weather changes rapidly
    - day pack only with plenty of water and snacks (if long distance hiking CT, maybe stash pack below treeline somewhere)
    - pack out your cardboard 'selfie' sign or better yet don't bring one (I don't know but my thought is that someone brings one and everyone wants to use it. The hiker who brought it leaves before everyone is finished with it and the last one to use it doesn't want to carry it down. So it gets left behind.)

I realize this thread is already several months old but to anyone hiking Mt Elbert in the future ... Have Fun!

See you on the trail,
    mt squid

twitter
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++