WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Ultralight tent durability

Over on Section hiker he tested a nemo tent. A lot of feedback on how the new ultralight tents don't last. I don't own one but from what I have witnessed they work fine. How about durability Is it a problem? Is my six moons designs silnylon tarp more durable then the new tents ? Thinking of getting a 4 season tent. But I'm to lazy and spoiled to carry a 6 lb tent. Or is getting a 4 season tent a dumb idea stick with a tarp ? It works.

If you don't hike or camp in the winter, why would you want a four season tent?

TarpTent Scarp 1. Not even close to 6 pounds. 30D fabric instead of 15D.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post

That's just a silly

I have a Nemo Obi 1 Elite, I will never purchase another Nemo product. The mesh netting runs and sags at the blink of an eye. Stuffing it in there stuff sac will cause the mesh to sag. I've gotten nothing but excuses from Nemo. VERY DISAPPOINTED.

No doubt a 4 season tent is more robust than an ultra-light one. I didn't see the analysis, but certainly zippers, poles, and no-seeum on an ultra-light tent are more fragile than a 4 season tent. Regular cleaning and lubrication of zippers and poles will help promote longevity. Fabric density is less of an issue, punctures maybe more prevalent in lighter fabrics, but it's got to be very marginal. Abrasion is a function of site selection. Trips with lots of nights on granite might require an addition of a ground cloth. Most tent floor issues can easily be repaired by the owner, zippers and poles are a different matter.

I won't go to a 4 season tent unless you're a gorilla with your gear. If you're willing to carry the extra weight, a fine single malt would be a good substitute.

My Tarptent Double Rainbow never had an issue with durability of the fabric. Only had one stitch issue and that was on the cross pole sleeve. I think it is 20d. I took it out in the winter as well, although never got a bunch of snow. But I would have no concerns with it.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    This.

I think that "four season" is a bit of misnomer, in practice they should be called winter tents. Unless you are heading some sort of extreme conditions, a lighter tarp or tent that provides better ventilation is generally the wiser choice for camping in the warmer months.

Lighter tents will be less durable by design when compared to a heavy four season tent, however I have found my tarptent to be well made and not had any undue problems with wear and tear. Personally I find my tarptent to be the right tool for the job and I wouldn't intentionally buy the wrong tool just because the wrong tool was more durable.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    TarpTent Scarp 1. Not even close to 6 pounds. 30D fabric instead of 15D.

Wayne

Sue me for staying on topic.
    The entire TarpTent catalog is more durable than the Big Box brands for similar weight. Larger protected volume also.
    If all you look at are the grams you are missing the whole story of shelters.

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."

Who's your lawyer?

Somebody needs a nap.

Images

I have a 6 year old tarp tent (Sublite Sil), that has been out well over 300 nights in all kinds of weather. I had a 2.5" diameter tree branch fall directly on the peak. I was able to field repair the resulting 1" tear in the seam with Mason line & Duct tape in the dark with a headlamp. Big Angus was able to do a permanent near invisible repair at Trail Days. Big thank you to BA! Bottom line UL tents are more fragile than their heaver counterparts. Knowing this you can still have a UL tent that will last for years.

V8

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Sue me for staying on topic.
    The entire TarpTent catalog is more durable than the Big Box brands for similar weight. Larger protected volume also.
    If all you look at are the grams you are missing the whole story of shelters.

Wayne
    i don't have a lawyer soooooo.

'Durability' is one of those non-specific factors that is hard to quantify objectively.

There are people who are 'hard' on gear and can destroy a bowling ball in a foam padded room in 10 minutes, and there are those who could get 10 years of service out of a rice paper tent. I am frequently amazed at the careless and schlock ways some people treat their gear, and then those same folks wonder why it doesn't last.

So it comes down to this: Are you generally easy or hard on gear? A heavy, durable, bombproof shelter might sound like just the ticket, but think of the many hundreds of thousands of extra foot-pounds of work wasted just hauling it around. (So you're not just 'lazy and spoiled,' you're smart, practical and have a basic grasp of physics, lol!)

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    'Durability' is one of those non-specific factors that is hard to quantify objectively.

There are people who are 'hard' on gear and can destroy a bowling ball in a foam padded room in 10 minutes, and there are those who could get 10 years of service out of a rice paper tent. I am frequently amazed at the careless and schlock ways some people treat their gear, and then those same folks wonder why it doesn't last.

So it comes down to this: Are you generally easy or hard on gear? A heavy, durable, bombproof shelter might sound like just the ticket, but think of the many hundreds of thousands of extra foot-pounds of work wasted just hauling it around. (So you're not just 'lazy and spoiled,' you're smart, practical and have a basic grasp of physics, lol!)

Very true . I don't consider myself hard on things . Seams like tarptent has lots drinking the cool aid and enjoying it.

When I see tents made out of 15D fabric and other tents made out of 30D fabric, I prefer the 30D fabric tent. If that same tent also has a better design and the same or less weight, then I figure it's a WIN WIN WIN.
    Suffice to say that I have been shopping long and hard for a 3 season tent to compliment my 4 pound 4 season tent. The national brands can't compete with the cottage brands.

Wayne

I try to buy USA made stuff if I can and good product.

Great, but you continue to project that your opinion is the only answer. I have owned 3 Tarptents, sold them all for a variety reasons. Nothing bad about TT, Henry is a good designer, offers excellent customer service and has good manufacturing quality.

Many of us have shopped long and hard, even spent some money and had "experience" with various products.

Lessons learned, no one shoe fits everybody.

If the national brands can't compete with the cottage brands, why are there so many of them? Oh, Oh, I know, most consumers are stupid, expect for ........ you.

Journal Entries

There are morons out there that can destroy any gear item with carelessness.
    Most well made cottage ultralight gear is perfectly serviceable for thru hikes when used with care.

Ive seen morons sit on inflaatable pad on rocks.
    Ive seen them strap tent to outside of pack and expose it to thorny bushes.
    Ive seen them literally throw packs down, and sit on them

Ultralight gear requires more care than these folks are capable of.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 05-18-2016 at 14:02.

Quote Originally Posted by Hosh View Post
    Great, but you continue to project that your opinion is the only answer. I have owned 3 Tarptents, sold them all for a variety reasons. Nothing bad about TT, Henry is a good designer, offers excellent customer service and has good manufacturing quality.

Many of us have shopped long and hard, even spent some money and had "experience" with various products.

Lessons learned, no one shoe fits everybody.

If the national brands can't compete with the cottage brands, why are there so many of them? Oh, Oh, I know, most consumers are stupid, expect for ........ you.
    Pardon me.
    I'm out of here.

Wayne

Two points..
    Yes most 4 season tents are really better used as a 4th season tent, that is in winter where there is a winter or in the mountains out in the open.
    Apart from that they are heavy and often lack the air flow for a comfortable night in mild weather.

"Seams like tarptent has lots drinking the cool aid and enjoying it."
    Tarptent started in 1999 , since then we have had tens of thousands of customers , most by referral many return customers.
    Not unusual to find half of a walking club using them. That happens after one is brave enogh to try and after several club walks others follow.
    Not just because of the lower weight but often for the ease of set up, dry set up (fly first) and smaller pack size.
    To suggest that the many have purchased their second or third TT by "drinking the kool aid" (and enjoying them) would say that you believe a great part of TT customers are stupid.
    Or maybe you have a different idea of what drinking the kool aid means...
    franco@tarptent
    ex Tarptent customer, current Tarptent user...

BTW, it's "seems" not "seams"

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++