WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Stove Play.

Journal Entries
    Images

Default Stove Play.

Just A few stove designs I have been playing with ,the mini the regular and the XL.
    The regular weighs in at 11 grams and all will boil two cups of h20 using roughly 1/2 of heet.
    shown is the regular and mini with10 cm imusa pot.

WP_20160517_15_49_09_Pro.jpgWP_20160517_18_26_01_Pro.jpgWP_20160517_18_26_10_Pro.jpgWP_20160519_17_24_24_Pro.jpgWP_20160519_17_29_43_Pro.jpg

I'm not a big fan of pressure stoves . Sometimes they work better with alm foil under the stove. Wick stoves work better when the temp is low and don't spill if tipped over. But they are all fun to play with. Have u tried any wick cat food can stoves or Qwiz stoves?

Journal Entries
    Images

I'm not a big fan of pressure stoves . Sometimes they work better with alm foil under the stove. Wick stoves work better when the temp is low and don't spill if tipped over. But they are all fun to play with. Have u tried any wick cat food can stoves or Qwiz stoves?
    Yes I do A variation of the fancee feast stove zelph came up with.
    I also did some stoves similar to these that use A primer wick for colder weather,as well as playing with putting some pink insulation between layers on them.
    I myself prefer A wick stove as well and A fancee feast is my all around go to stove at the moment.
    I just had A bunch of cans around and figured I would try some different stoves out.
    I am also playing around with some rolled top stoves but they seem to be A pain without a press,and im not buying one of them just for A hobby lol.

Journal Entries
    Images

WP_20160519_19_11_51_Pro.jpgWP_20160519_19_12_10_Pro.jpg

here are A couple catfood styles I played with,these are protos so cosmetically not the greatest but boil time is the same.
    I have found I prefer carbon felt over fiberglass just because it is much easier to work with,but when I use auluminum bottles for the pot stand it is to narrow for carbon felt so I have to use fiberglass.

I used a tomato paste can inside the cat food can and carbon felt. My pots are narrow so wick is more efficient .

Journal Entries
    Images

I used a tomato paste can inside the cat food can and carbon felt. My pots are narrow so wick is more efficient
    Yes I have seen A tomato paste can used,and have made quite A few with that style of can,I found for me that I could save A considerable amount of weight <-----I know funny right.... by switching to A v8 can bottom or similar size.I just cut the round bottom out and it still has integrity and is pretty strong(not as strong as tomato can but only weighs 9 grams.

Images

Something you will find out eventually if you use your nose................carbon felt is not a wicking material. After your stove goes out and cools, you'll be able to "smell" fuel especially if you use denatured alcohol which has more odor than HEET. There is fuel left at the base of the stove in the felt. When you put the stove into your pot for storage the fuel in the felt will evaporate and condense on the walls of the pot and what ever might be in there. Best to keep a paper towel in the pot to absorb condensation.

Journal Entries
    Images

Something you will find out eventually if you use your nose................carbon felt is not a wicking material. After your stove goes out and cools, you'll be able to "smell" fuel especially if you use denatured alcohol which has more odor than HEET. There is fuel left at the base of the stove in the felt. When you put the stove into your pot for storage the fuel in the felt will evaporate and condense on the walls of the pot and what ever might be in there. Best to keep a paper towel in the pot to absorb condensation
    That is great to know and appreciated.
    I use fiberglass in some stoves,just need to play with it more to to get it to fit better in the stove.

Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post
    Something you will find out eventually if you use your nose................carbon felt is not a wicking material. After your stove goes out and cools, you'll be able to "smell" fuel especially if you use denatured alcohol which has more odor than HEET. There is fuel left at the base of the stove in the felt. When you put the stove into your pot for storage the fuel in the felt will evaporate and condense on the walls of the pot and what ever might be in there. Best to keep a paper towel in the pot to absorb condensation.
    What do you think is the best wicking material that allows complete burning of fuel?
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Journal Entries
    Images

[QUOTEWhat do you think is the best wicking material that allows complete burning of fuel?][/QUOTE]
    This is A great question and I myself you like to know.

Did some experiments today with the capilary stoves above and found that I like the 32 holes flame as opposed to the standard 16 holes,does anyone know of any disadvantages of using 32 holes 1/16 as opposed to 16 holes 1/16 ,seems like it has A better flame.

Journal Entries
    Images

What do you think is the best wicking material that allows complete burning of fuel?
    Sorry about the typo on the last post,I myself would like to know as well.

Images

DarenN did some nice testing of jet hole relationships and the thread can be seen on my website. Lots of reading, interesting stuff:

http://bplite.com/viewtopic.php?f=41...55d9c84bb168b6

The best wicking is fiberglass cloth. I use it in the Fancee Feest and Venom Super Stoves. The "warp" of the weave is in the vertical direction. The vertical strands of glass close together allow for capillary flow upwards along the threads. That does not happen with Carbon Felt. The fibres are in every direction.

Stoves made of carbon felt and are used with rubbing alcohol will eventually become difficult to light due to water accumulating in the base of the felt because the water in the alcohol never makes it to the top of the felt.

All stove makers that use carbon felt will say carbon felt is the best. ;-)
    Last edited by zelph; 05-23-2016 at 22:06.

Rubbing alcohol sure isn't my fuel of choice. its a poor fuel choice

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cheyou View Post
    There are stove makers out there that advocate using Iso91, even make a carbon felt stove to burn it in.....not kidding.

Journal Entries
    Images

Im not even fully sure I know where this comment came from.
    I would never use ISO alcohol unless there was no other choice.
    My go to alcohol is heet in the yellow bottle,then denatured alcohol but never would I use ISO under normal conditions.

Journal Entries
    Images

Now I see where the comment came from cheyou ....

Journal Entries
    Images

Playing around with another stove design,kind of got the idea from zelphs starlyte stove which is obviously A far better stove but just playing around with this one and seeing how it does.

Images

Does not look like you have a lid on the pot. Won't boil without the lid :-) It will but will take forever.

Journal Entries
    Images

Yeah I failed to put the lid on it and was just trying to see how much burn time I got on 1/2 ounce of alcohol and to see jhow close the water had got to A boil.

Journal Entries
    Images

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++