WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default The "Ideal" bivy or tarp or tent shelter

I would like people to share their present "Ideal" bivy or tarp or tent shelter ideas.

I'll start:

I think a one sleeved-pole curved in back about 1/3 up the tent wall "pop-up" tarp tent with one vertical hiking stick "Deschutes" tarp staked to the ground or, optionally, 4-6" off the ground, having a double-zipper on the "door" and hiking stick propped out the flap for a vestibule would be my present "ideal" shelter.

Even better than a sleeved pole in the back, have a pocket at each seam at the back and have a webbing loop with a snap to hold that collapsible pole at the top of the curve, the back cut in a curve for that collapsible pole.

I first saw that "option" on a hammock tarp, to increase the useable space inside.

http://www.2qzqhammockhanger.com/polepockets1.html

This "Ideal" shelter would also be staked to plastic D's, not hanging webbing straps. I have plastic D's on a Hammock Gear cuben tarp I really like a lot, and has never failed.

The design would have to allow sufficient space for a vestibule.

No hard vent, only have a double-zipper "door" so I can prop open the zipper opening at or near the top, where there is a loose flap with a "pencil pocket" for propping open and have the stenciled brand name on the flap.

The sleeved pole or pole and pockets would be removeable, of course, and a collapsible pole.

Available in white or black cuben, maybe tan or olive drab as well, it would be that shiny "reflective" cuben on the inside, at least on the back wall so, completely open up, it could reflect heat of a small fire.

There would be a 7D or 10D fabric option.

Have a multicam cuben option, to please everyone.

It could also have a permeable reflective back "dew cloth" option.

I would have a high cuben or 7D or 10D option bathtub base, for wind shedding, as well, for my bug bivy that has one elastic cord run to the apex of this shelter. It could also have an optional half-shelter high wind shedding bathtub floor bug "inner net".

If the ground is unsuitable, I would use a separate polycryo ground sheet.

With every option, this would be my do-it-all "Ideal" tipi or tarp or tent shelter.
    Last edited by Connie; 05-24-2016 at 01:30.

Images

My shelter may not be as light as the cuben fiber ones but the Tarptent Contrail works greats! Used it in -10C, light snow weather with no issues!

Images

Years ago, I came up with a modified version of a Whelan lean-to that, IMHO, is more versatile than the Whelan-style tarp or a standard "flat" tarp. It's oversized by today's hammock standards - about 7'x13' - and can shelter 3-4 people when pitched low. Over my hammock (by myself), I've got MILES of room. Extra grommets and D-rings in specific places enable it to be pitched as a floorless tent with either a right-or-left-facing door, and can attach to a "bug-bag" for use either on the ground or with the hammock to keep the skeeters at bay. I destroyed the first one while building the Eagle's Nest Shelter in '87-'88, but had a seamstress-friend make a "2.0 version" a few years ago. For versatility and SPACE, I love this one. One of a kind...no plans to market it.
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass - it's about learning how to dance in the rain!

Images

Even better than a sleeved pole in the back, have a pocket at each seam at the back and have a webbing loop with a snap to hold that collapsible pole at the top of the curve, the back cut in a curve for that collapsible pole.

I first saw that "option" on a hammock tarp, to increase the useable space inside.

http://www.2qzqhammockhanger.com/polepockets1.html
    I like that idea. I'll try that modification this fall.

-

if there was a single "ideal" shelter I would not have a dozen of them

or try this:

big, roomy, dry and on someone else's back

My ideal shelter:

A slightly taller (54" peak height instead of 48") version of the Zpacks Duplex with a net tent inner instead of the attached bathtub floor all in CF. Or a CF tarp with doors and a net tent inner. I like modularity. Yama Mountain Gear's Cirriform 2 comes close to what I really want, but I'd like it slightly wider and taller and the same peak height for the entire length. Or a CF/non-silnylon version of Tarptent's Stratospire 1...that would be great too.

Closest thing so far has been my Z-packs soloplex plus, it is just about perfect. Ideally it would be nice to have a view from both sides but I have no idea how they could make that work.

Images

Z-packs sells the duplex as a tarp, just have to sew up your own net tent!

With my goals which definitely can and do change my ideal shelter changes depending on the hike. However, at least for a ground dwelling shelter a compartmentalized tarp especially a mid comes close to the ideal shelter having a great variety of set ups/changes that addresses different scenarios while losing the wt and volume of components not required. i.e; tarp(flat, shaped, cat cut, mid, etc), inner net or draped pyramid net, ground sheet or floor incorporated into inner i.e.; MLD Solomid XL or catenary cut or flat tarp in .75 CF handles the majority of my shelter needs.

Interesting and odd noting one who has been jumping from trail to different trail with a shelter ideal for one trail(hike) being used on another trail(hike) where perhaps the ideal may be something else.

I've seen hangers with hammock set-ups that can work for them all 4 seasons with the versatility of setting up their hammocks on the ground too.

Again, some folks don't want what they perceive as a hassle considering shelter needs each trip under possibly varying scenarios. Where some see versatility, wt and volume saving, others perceive as a hassle. It's also another important shelter characteristics consideration if one is going to attempt to employ the same shelter yr round. There are shelters that can be modified for winter/heavier snow use.

Journal Entries
    Images

I like my tents floor plan. But a multicam version would be sweet!

Quote Originally Posted by DuneElliot View Post
    My ideal shelter:

A slightly taller (54" peak height instead of 48") version of the Zpacks Duplex with a net tent inner instead of the attached bathtub floor all in CF. Or a CF tarp with doors and a net tent inner. I like modularity. Yama Mountain Gear's Cirriform 2 comes close to what I really want, but I'd like it slightly wider and taller and the same peak height for the entire length. Or a CF/non-silnylon version of Tarptent's Stratospire 1...that would be great too.
    Yeah, or for the smaller footprint, the Notch in CF.

Of course "ideal" changes pretty frequently for me.

++ New Posts ++