WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Tree Shelf

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Zelph, that's a lot of work, wt, complexity, and bulk for a muffin.
    We see it happen time and time again.

Quote Originally Posted by daddytwosticks View Post
    We are backpackers. You'll have to market it as being multi-use. What other functions other than a cooking/prep shelf can it perform?

1. Camp fire fanner
    2. Sit pad
    I made one with a somewhat thin plastic cutting board, so I can use it as a cutting board before I put it on the tree.
    Last edited by Connie; 05-23-2016 at 22:26.

Quote Originally Posted by daddytwosticks View Post
    We are backpackers. You'll have to market it as being multi-use. What other functions other than a cooking/prep shelf can it perform?

1. Camp fire fanner
    2. Sit pad
    spose you could cut out the middle section making it double duty, despite its constitution

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    "At what point does weight offset utility?"

Anything above zero. I have yet to find a case where a rock or flat spot on the ground doesn't work. This is another thing to fiddle with regardless of the weight. But I am also way to the extreme on a simplistic gear setup. But based on the reaction from folks above there may be a more mainstream appeal.

one suggestion, kill the slot for the trekking pole, replace with small hole for tent stake or nail to be insert into the top of the trekking pole handle. I would also but the trekking pole tip against the tree to make a triangle. More stable and less likely to get hit.
    For me, this is true. I'm quite happy to just sit on the ground and set up the stove. In fact, I'd prefer it, because I have the ground to spread stuff out. On the other hand, my husband is somewhat inflexible, and finds sitting on the ground - even on an inflated pad - to be very uncomfortable. So for some people, maybe this is a problem-solver.

I have a tree shelf made by Klaussinator. Over the 3 years I have owned it I have brought it on about 8-12 trips. It is a luxury item to at the least. There is a clip of it a short ways into my latest trip report. https://youtu.be/m8aSAgGJaw0
    Visit Backpacking Adventures and enter your pictures into our monthly contest!

Check us out on YouTube or FaceBook

I love the idea of a tree shelf. I've made a couple of them and they seem to work well, but I've never taken them on a trip with me. Maybe when the family comes out with me again. I know the 20 or so things I need to bring, and on the short list of extras the tree shelf never makes the cut. But again, I think it's a cool solution to a problem I'm not sure I need to solve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't forget a rolling tray for the Rec's

"You will go out in joy and be led forth in peace;the mountains and hills will burst into song before you, and all the trees of the field will clap their hands."
    Isaiah 55:12

I want one. Can you make me one heavier than 320grams?

Images

I want one to put my tablet on while I cook on another one. Cook and surf LOL

Will it hold my beverage, man? White Russian.

Quote Originally Posted by schrader View Post
    I have been thinking about making a tree shelf that would allow me to cook standing up or at least give me a flat sturdy surface so I could quit trying balance my stove on a curved rock or log. Problem is, I could not find a suitable material to build a tray sturdy enough without the weight offsetting the benefit of carrying the tray along in a backpack.

Then , I found out a friend of mine has a CNC machine and had some kind of material made of a thin piece of plastic sandwiched between two thin pieces of aluminum.

So I drew out my design and left the rest to him. Here's the end result.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Interesting....my problem with your design is that my trekking poles are supporting my tent(solong6)....always set up my tent first as it's usually dark...I recently saw one on s YouTube video...seems interesting but I prefer to sit and cook/eat after a long day...

that's a very cool design.

Realistically, I would never carry it though. I'm ok to just have a seat and do my stuff. I like to cook on rocks, at a shelter, or just plunk down on some soft ground. Don't need to stand next to a tree

Quote Originally Posted by Damn Yankee View Post
    Don't forget a rolling tray for the Rec's
    surface roller

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Interesting....my problem with your design is that my trekking poles are supporting my tent(solong6)....always set up my tent first as it's usually dark...I recently saw one on s YouTube video...seems interesting but I prefer to sit and cook/eat after a long day...

i can see where poles pulling tent duty would not be available for setting this shelf up. i can set up my tarp in porch mode with one pole, or a limb could work in a pinch.

in my mind, i can see it coming in handy after a rain has soaked everything around me that I may not want to sit or squat on. i tend to prefer hammock camping and do not find myself on the ground very often.

although i'm not an ultralight hiker, per se, i can appreciate not wanting to haul an extra 11 oz. for 2100 miles. my hiking trips are usually no longer than a weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by schrader View Post

in my mind, i can see it coming in handy after a rain has soaked everything around me that I may not want to sit or squat on. i tend to prefer hammock camping and do not find myself on the ground very often.

yeah, well, you know, that's just like, your opinion, man.

Quote Originally Posted by ElDuderino View Post
    yeah, well, you know, that's just like, your opinion, man.
    It's like Lenin said: You look for the person who will benefit, and, uh, uh, you know...you know what I'm trying to say?

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by illabelle View Post
    Brilliant! Here we were thinking that WB posters are just recycling the same old discussions over and over. Wow, something new and original!!
    crap - I thought I saw this before like a bad case of deja-vue..... Now I have to scratch my noggin....

confused-owl.jpg
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Journal Entries
    Images

Hey yes I have seen this before.... no biggie... glad you got one that was lightweight.

http://hikinghq.net/forum/archive/index.php/t-7432.html

alum-table-002-sm.jpg
    e6b86767292c42f0fa2fab108a36fb0e.jpg
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

I am the walrus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++