WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Good overnight hike in n georgia or southern nc

Going to be in that area in the middle of june and would like recommendations for an overnight with my girlfriend who has never gone hiking overnight before only dayhikes. I have experience and all the equipment but want suggestions on an area that has nice views waterfalls etc. The more she likes it the better. Both of us near 50 but in good shape.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

If you can make it as far north as Great Smoky Mountains, I would suggest a hike of Mt LeConte (if the back country shelter is open by then... it was closed most of last summer due to bear activity).

Reason I suggest LeConte:
    1. Because you're staying at a shelter, a tent shouldn't be needed (lighter pack - but bring a tarp as a backup).
    2. Views - It's a mountain top settings where sunrise and sunset views are only a short distance away.
    3. Privy on site
    4. Multiple paths so that you don't have to come down the same way you go up (shuttle needed depending upon trails selected).
    5. Two of the 5 paths to LeConte have a major waterfall (and a third includes a stream walk with interesting formations along the way).

Dick's Creek Gap north over Blood Mountain - a good hike with a good ending - easy shuttles!

Tapatalk

Standing Indian loop.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    If you can make it as far north as Great Smoky Mountains, I would suggest a hike of Mt LeConte (if the back country shelter is open by then... it was closed most of last summer due to bear activity).

1. Because you're staying at a shelter, a tent shouldn't be needed (lighter pack - but bring a tarp as a backup).
    2. Views - It's a mountain top settings where sunrise and sunset views are only a short distance away.
    3. Privy on site
    4. Multiple paths so that you don't have to come down the same way you go up (shuttle needed depending upon trails selected).
    5. Two of the 5 paths to LeConte have a major waterfall (and a third includes a stream walk with interesting formations along the way).

and if you wanna pamper her (and can get a reservation)-----you can stay at the lodge..........

Images

or in south western NC----you have a ton of choices with the snowbirds, joyce kilmer, bald river, or slickrock areas........

Journal Entries

3. Privy on site
    If you choose LeConte, the shortest way up is the Alum Cave Trail (about 5 miles). But the path with the least climbing would be the Boulevard Trail, accessed from Newfound Gap, north on the AT about 3 miles, then left on the Boulevard (about 8 miles total to LeConte, but no waterfall).

Be advised, however, if you choose the Smokies, there are some reservation/permit issues to navigate. Check their website for details.

We'll be backpacking in the Smokies June 18-19, doing a loop out of the Big Creek Campground, and should see two waterfalls. Lots of nice territory in the area (GA, NC, TN) to explore.

Quote Originally Posted by daddytwosticks View Post
    Standing Indian loop.
    +1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by chrisj1567 View Post
    Going to be in that area in the middle of june and would like recommendations for an overnight with my girlfriend who has never gone hiking overnight before only dayhikes. I have experience and all the equipment but want suggestions on an area that has nice views waterfalls etc. The more she likes it the better. Both of us near 50 but in good shape.
    Not knowing what your milage intentions are I can say in GA the only really significant waterfall near the AT is Long Creek Falls. It's about maybe 100yds off on a blue blaze, 5mi North of Springer Mnt parking lot. There are highways at Woody Gap, Neel Gap, Hogpen Gap, Unicoi Gap, and Dick's Creek Gap. I'd say Woody to Hogpen would afford you the most high elevation views but there are still some more north of there. Someone mentioned Blood Mountain to Dick's Creek Gap but that's a 40mi haul. I couldn't do that in an overnight but I'm sure there are those that could.

Thanks for the responses. Standing Indian loop sounds really good (any loop would be better than a point to point) but we are having reservations about 12-13 miles per day in mountains. Anything suggestions a little shorter? Even a point to point or out and back. I just dont want to overdo it and then she doesnt want to go again.

Journal Entries

The AT approach trail, from Amicalola to Springer might be an option. I haven't walked those 8 miles, but I've heard the waterfall is very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisj1567 View Post
    Thanks for the responses. Standing Indian loop sounds really good (any loop would be better than a point to point) but we are having reservations about 12-13 miles per day in mountains. Anything suggestions a little shorter? Even a point to point or out and back. I just dont want to overdo it and then she doesnt want to go again.
    With long summer days it's not difficult...u can shorten by taking the blue blaze before deep gap...can't remover name but takes few miles off. Carter gap shelter is mid point..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images

The Standing Indian loop is great, but it's ~25 miles, which is a bit much for someone who's never backpacked before.

I would park at Neels Gap and get a shuttle to Woody Gap, then hike up over Blood Mountain. It's a ten mile hike, and you can camp near the Woods Hole shelter or at Slaughter Gap (check to see if the bear canister requirement is still in effect). The climb up Blood is very long and slow, with great views at the top. Take it really easy going down to Neels Gap -- it's steep and people can injure knees going down to quickly. (Been there.)
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

You could do the Slaughter Creek/Jarrard Gap Loop and car camp at Lake Winfield Scott if you are easing in to camping. You could also do that loop and camp at the Woods Hole Shelter or other established sites along the AT if you want the "backcountry" experience. If you do the loop, there is a nice campsite by the creek on the Jarrard Gap portion of the trail that is very pretty--lots of rhododendrons and hemlocks and moss-covered boulders. You could also start at Lake Winfield Scott on the slaughter Creek trail and turn left at the AT to summit Blood Mountain.

I'm biased, because I live in Dahlonega, but I would recommend driving up from Ocala and spending the night in Dahlonega. There are nice inns as well as inexpensive motels. Drive to Lake Winfield Scott in the AM ( about 25 minutes) and park at the campground. It costs $5.00. Hike up the Slaughter Creek Trail, turn left at the AT and go to the top of Blood Mountain, backtrack on the AT toward Jarrard Gap, and either camp at Woods Hole or the campsite on Jarrard Gap-----or at Lake Winfield Scott if you need creature comforts like flush toilets and a picnic table. Return to Dahlonega, visit a winery or two or just walk the Square, and head home. I can give you recommendations for the best draft beer selection, if you want!

if you consider leconte, just a heads up that there are monday-thursday closures on the alum cave trail for construction. it's a great trail

https://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvis...osure-faqs.htm

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by illabelle View Post
    If you choose LeConte, the shortest way up is the Alum Cave Trail (about 5 miles). But the path with the least climbing would be the Boulevard Trail, accessed from Newfound Gap, north on the AT about 3 miles, then left on the Boulevard (about 8 miles total to LeConte, but no waterfall)....
    Actually, you have about the same amount of cumulative climbing to do on the Boulevard as you do Alum Cave Trail.

The net elevation change for Alum is about 2,500', with virtually no down hills on your way to the top.

The net elevation change for Boulevard is about 1,500'. But once you get to the actual Boulevard trail with its intersection at the AT, you begin about a 600' decent. Then, about 3 miles after the intersection, the trail makes a U-turn and makes a 200' decent. And along the way, there are other minor decents that easily add upto 200'. So while your net elevation change is 1,500', you have to add 1,000' of decent that you have to re-climb making for a cumulative 2,500'.

However, even though the Boulevard has as much climbing as Alum, Boulevard is still my favorite way to go to LeConte. Actually, my most typical trip is to park at Alum, get a shuttle to New Found Gap, and hike Boulevard and Alum.

Of course, right now that is all mute until the shelter is reopened. Otherwise, the only other choice is to see if any Lodge reservations have been cancelled that you can take over: http://www.lecontelodge.com/reservations/
    (never mind, I just looked and their wait list is already full for June and July)

Journal Entries
    Images

Start: Burningtown Gap Parking
    End: Rocky Bald Summit
    Total Miles Round Trip: 7 miles

Journal Entries

Actually, you have about the same amount of cumulative climbing to do on the Boulevard as you do Alum Cave Trail.

The net elevation change for Alum is about 2,500', with virtually no down hills on your way to the top.

The net elevation change for Boulevard is about 1,500'. But once you get to the actual Boulevard trail with its intersection at the AT, you begin about a 600' decent. Then, about 3 miles after the intersection, the trail makes a U-turn and makes a 200' decent. And along the way, there are other minor decents that easily add upto 200'. So while your net elevation change is 1,500', you have to add 1,000' of decent that you have to re-climb making for a cumulative 2,500'.
    But you generate energy on the downhills, don't you? No?
    Oh well, the Boulevard seems to be easier, but I've only done it twice, and I wasn't paying attention.

Quote Originally Posted by jbbweeks View Post
    Dick's Creek Gap north over Blood Mountain - a good hike with a good ending - easy shuttles!

Tapatalk
    That should have been Woody Gap north over Blood Mountain to Neal's Gap.

Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++