WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I have a Rainbow Tarptent - that is close quarters for two people at 40# across!

I have backpacked for 10 days on the A.T. with a 5'8 son in it (and I was overweight at the time!). I have backpacked for 4 day weekends with my husband with it, and I have backpacked 10 days with a friend on the A.T.

Yes, it was close quarters; however, we are not "tent people" - meaning, we prefer to use our tents only for sleeping purposes. We do generally abide by "hiker midnight" and hit the sack by 9pm. And, yes, there are nights where it is raining, so we go to be early. However, for the most part, my waking camp experience is out of the tent. For this reason, it has never been "too close."

Quote Originally Posted by shelb View Post
    I have a Rainbow Tarptent - that is close quarters for two people at 40# across!

I have backpacked for 10 days on the A.T. with a 5'8 son in it (and I was overweight at the time!). I have backpacked for 4 day weekends with my husband with it, and I have backpacked 10 days with a friend on the A.T.

Yes, it was close quarters; however, we are not "tent people" - meaning, we prefer to use our tents only for sleeping purposes. We do generally abide by "hiker midnight" and hit the sack by 9pm. And, yes, there are nights where it is raining, so we go to be early. However, for the most part, my waking camp experience is out of the tent. For this reason, it has never been "too close."
    What is the condensation like in the Rainbow with two people in there?
    Thanks for your help.

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

I took my 15 yr old grandson backpacking with me , he carried my big agnes copper spur 1, and I carried my copper spur 2 We had them close together but each had our own space. My grandson came in my tent with me and we watched the lone survivor on his phone. We had a really good time watching the movie but he was glad he had his own tent to go to. We both fit in my 2 man.
    When my 14 yr old granddaughter goes this year she wants to stay in my tent with me. Boys usually like to have some independence as they are entering their teen years, That said you have a three man so that should work fine .

thanks guys for some really great comments. I talked with my son about the possibility of 2 tents and he shared that he is not sure he feels comfortable in his own tent at least starting out on the trail - he is a Boy Scout and has been sleeping in his own tent when he goes on their once a month camp outs for the past few years but he said that sleeping in a tent alone at a campground is a big difference from sleeping alone in the middle of the woods on the AT - but the possibility of two tents is definitely something to consider. I love hearing everyone's opinions

Journal Entries
    Images

Consider this..

(2 Tents)
    If you go with something like a Fly Creek UL2 he can fit in there if needed when he's spooked, otherwise he's in his own tent and getting used to being in his own tent which is a good thing.

(1 Tent)
    For a tent that will be used by both every night, I'd go with a double-wall for sure with two doors/vestibules. I think the MSR Hubba Hubba NX or the three-person Hubba is a great choice. He can carry the fly/poles/stakes, and you carry the tent/footprint. That way each of you is only carrying about 2lbs and you've got plenty of comfort and options needed for housing two people.

Revisit the Zpacks, you won't regret it. The Triplex is LxWxH 90"x60"x48" and only weighs 23.4 ozs. Slightly more if you get it in the .74oz material. Dual openings and vestibules and I don't find them any noisier than other tents. If you are worried take some earplugs. Set up is a breeze and not hard to get right, you will have to practice with any tent you buy.
    "He was a wise man who invented beer." Plato

Two tents. In 10 months, he will be quite a bit older and more independent. He probably will want his own tent, just for privacy and you won't want to be tenting with a teenage boy, either.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrelchick View Post
    thanks guys for some really great comments. I talked with my son about the possibility of 2 tents and he shared that he is not sure he feels comfortable in his own tent at least starting out on the trail - he is a Boy Scout and has been sleeping in his own tent when he goes on their once a month camp outs for the past few years but he said that sleeping in a tent alone at a campground is a big difference from sleeping alone in the middle of the woods on the AT - but the possibility of two tents is definitely something to consider. I love hearing everyone's opinions
    I hate to break this to you, but starting in March on a thru you will hardly be alone but quite a while into your trip. Most of the camping sites and shelters in the southern part of the trail will be a literal campground. By the time the crowd thins out I'm sure your son will feel very comfortable camping in his own tent with your not too far away. The AT is not as scary as he is probably thinking it is.
    Remote for detachment, narrow for chosen company, winding for leisure, lonely for contemplation, the Trail beckons not merely north and south, but upward to the body, mind, and soul of man.

Journal Entries

Another vote to revisit Z-pack. Yes setup is a procedure (at least in a Heximid), but once you do it a few times it does become automatic, and on a thru there is no issue with that. You will love the light weight and also the cuban fiber itself is superior to Sil-Nylon in almost every way (holds less water, shakes off, does not sag, sets up tight, easy field repair (duct tape, even a band aid if needed). Never found the rain sound a issue, more of a reassurance that I am well shielded.

Didn't read entire thread but I would suggest getting 2 tents. I am a jhuge fan of the Henry Shires Tarptents, they are affordable and spacey for 1 person. I just see a teenage son needing some space from mom over 2000 miles I need space from my mother on a weekend trip home to visit her lol
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

I would suggest 2 tents as the first choice. I would suggest the Tarptent Notch.

Second would be a ZPacks Triplex. Not as hard to setup as you imagine. I have a Duplex and while slightly harder to setup than a freestanding tent, not at all difficult. With 2 people, should take under a minute to get setup.

My wife and I bought this tent because of it's size and features. I read and researched quite a few hours. I narrowed my choice to the Duo, the SMD Lunar duo and one of the TT models. I bought the LightHeart Gear Duo and don't regret it.

Quote Originally Posted by HeartFire View Post
    Have you looked at the LightHeart Gear Duo? 55 inches wide.

Images

My wife and I , and our 90 pound dog, use a Tarptent Rainshadow II.
    It's got lots of space for 2 people and does a good job keeping out the weather and bugs.
    It's easy to pitch and has plenty of ventilation, which prevents the condensation.
    That being said, for a mother and a teenage son, I'd recommend separate tents.

My daughter and I use a Kelty Grand Mesa 2 just doing short section hikes. Definitely tight on space, but personally, I lean towards sharing a tent, just make sure it is a 3 person one to get the added space since you'll be together for quite a while. Sharing presents some challenges, for sure, but how much time will you actually spend in the tent?

where i am now, which might not be where i am tomorrow

i've done 2 thrus and .7 of a third thru. i am almost 100% certain that if you start off with one tent, you will realize it's a mistake. 2 one person tents is my rec.

[QUOTE=Kestrelchick;2069605]thanks guys for some really great comments. I talked with my son about the possibility of 2 tents and he shared that he is not sure he feels comfortable in his own tent at least starting out on the trail - he is a Boy Scout and has been sleeping in his own tent when he goes on their once a month camp outs for the past few years but he said that sleeping in a tent alone at a campground is a big difference from sleeping alone in the middle of the woods on the AT - but the possibility of two tents is definitely something to consider. I love hearing everyone's opinions[/QUOT
    He has a great point! It is unforuntate that his scout troup has only camped at campgrounds for the last few years. My three Eagle Scout sons (ages 29, 19, 17) rarely spent a night in a campground while scouting. We always focused on getting "Into the Wild." Yet, I must say that they might have wanted to share a tent -for the companionship reasons! I think that might be why your son wants to share a tent. Cmping alone is no fun! Where is the person to talk to! (I am speaking in a 16 year old point of view!).

If you can borrow a two person tent, and or 2 one person tents, do some practice weekends or longer hikes staying on a trail, not a campground and see how it goes. I just did a 3 day trip with my 22 year old son and thought about sharing my small 2 person tent, but my wife suggested I borrow a second tent. I'm sure it was much more enjoyable with two tents.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++