WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 134 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 54 104 ... LastLast

Here's another good article with some new quotes and info from the searchers: http://www.sunjournal.com/news/frank...-day-6/1400731

That's a great article -- thanks for posting it. It gives me a little bit of hope, although I did notice the mention of not ruling out foul play.
    you left to walk the appalachian trail
    you can feel your heart as smooth as a snail
    the mountains your darlings
    but better to love than have something to scale

-Girlyman, "Hold It All At Bay"

Images

its a real mystery,that area is not the easiest to bushwack with heavy brush and undergrowth, so its difficult to think shes lost off trail, and there doesnt seem to be any sign of her on the at or connecting trails.

Here's what I think, because I was puzzled about this too, and here's what I have concluded: Gerry was due to meet George on Tuesday. Due to the heavy rain, she ended up taking shelter at the Spaulding Mtn lean-to instead, and was thus late meeting George, which had happened in the past since she had often run into rain this whole hike. Since she had no reception, she tells SOBO hiker to please let George know that she spent the nite at Spaulding. George would not have been worried since he was aware of the heavy rain, and Gerry would not have worried that George was worried because this had happened in the past. Gerry had to have spent the nite there or else a). how would she have known about George, and b) where he was staying and what number to call. When SOBO hiker gets into an area with cell phone reception, she places the call. She's not panicky, because there was no reason to be. It's possible that the SOBO hiker may not have been a thru hiker, but just someone doing a section, and unless you know about Gerry's plight or live up there, you would have no way to know that people were looking for you. I think it's unfortunate that they haven't been able to reach the SOBO hiker, but I don't think that there is any reason to suspect that she was up to no good.

If they haven't already, they should pull the cell tower records in that area and maybe get a better idea about the caller.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Default A 60 person search effort? Sorry, this search needs hundreds.

Knowing the extreme remoteness of that section of trail, I genuinely do not think that fowl play is involved. Yet having recently whacked my leg open in a freak bike accident, I think it is more likely that she could be injured or significantly veered off the trail. I accidentally veered off the trail near Pierce Pond Stream and spent an afternoon bushwacking through bogs where no one would have found me before I managed to find my way back. In Maine, the abyss of wilderness is closer than anywhere else on the trail. A 60 person search effort? Sorry, but this effort needs hundreds of people.

As someone mentioned in a previous post, the section of trail before you descend to the Carabassett stream crossing is particularly daunting. I remember looking down the steep drop-off, and simply thinking that I best not take a wrong step. The stream crossing can also be problematic. Then I also think if I were running late meeting my husband and I hit the Caribou Valley Road, I may be tempted to skip the Crockers and attempt to walk to Route 27 along the Caribou Valley Road. Has that been thoroughly searched? Just thinking out loud, my imagination runs wild.

I only recall cell reception on top of Saddleback Junior, south of Poplar lean-to....

Much love to the trail community and thoughts and prayers to inchworm and her family,
    Whoopie Pie

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ElephantEater View Post
    Here's what I think, because I was puzzled about this too, and here's what I have concluded: Gerry was due to meet George on Tuesday. Due to the heavy rain, she ended up taking shelter at the Spaulding Mtn lean-to instead, and was thus late meeting George, which had happened in the past since she had often run into rain this whole hike. Since she had no reception, she tells SOBO hiker to please let George know that she spent the nite at Spaulding. George would not have been worried since he was aware of the heavy rain, and Gerry would not have worried that George was worried because this had happened in the past. Gerry had to have spent the nite there or else a). how would she have known about George, and b) where he was staying and what number to call. When SOBO hiker gets into an area with cell phone reception, she places the call. She's not panicky, because there was no reason to be. It's possible that the SOBO hiker may not have been a thru hiker, but just someone doing a section, and unless you know about Gerry's plight or live up there, you would have no way to know that people were looking for you. I think it's unfortunate that they haven't been able to reach the SOBO hiker, but I don't think that there is any reason to suspect that she was up to no good.
    This is exactly what I think about the SOBO hiker. Exactly. She may be off trail now and unaware anyone is searching for her. I wish it would go national on the news.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by firestarter View Post
    Knowing the extreme remoteness of that section of trail, I genuinely do not think that fowl play is involved. Yet having recently whacked my leg open in a freak bike accident, I think it is more likely that she could be injured or significantly veered off the trail. I accidentally veered off the trail near Pierce Pond Stream and spent an afternoon bushwacking through bogs where no one would have found me before I managed to find my way back. In Maine, the abyss of wilderness is closer than anywhere else on the trail. A 60 person search effort? Sorry, but this effort needs hundreds of people.

As someone mentioned in a previous post, the section of trail before you descend to the Carabassett stream crossing is particularly daunting. I remember looking down the steep drop-off, and simply thinking that I best not take a wrong step. The stream crossing can also be problematic. Then I also think if I were running late meeting my husband and I hit the Caribou Valley Road, I may be tempted to skip the Crockers and attempt to walk to Route 27 along the Caribou Valley Road. Has that been thoroughly searched? Just thinking out loud, my imagination runs wild.

I only recall cell reception on top of Saddleback Junior, south of Poplar lean-to....

Much love to the trail community and thoughts and prayers to inchworm and her family,
    Whoopie Pie
    Totally agree. We need hundreds of people up there looking.

And interesting that you mention that section near Pierce Pond Stream, I was just up there 2 weeks ago and that whole section north of the lean-to was a nightmare in my opinion. Not blazed well and downright dangerous. So much so that I wrote to the MATC.

Continuing to hope and pray for a good outcome.

One thing we can do, is if anyone has connections with the media, especially national media, try to get them to cover the story. I hear it is in the news in Boston and of course, Maine. I also heard Indianapolis was covering it, and I assume Tennessee and Georgia where they have family connections, but it would be great if Gerry's story could get traction on the news throughout the land. I also helps I think, if we use social media. #findgerry What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by firestarter View Post
    I genuinely do not think that fowl play is involved.
    So, no birds were involved.
    Love people and use things; never the reverse.

Mt. Katahdin would be a lot quicker to climb if its darn access trail didn't start all the way down in Georgia.

If I can, I'm planning to hike the AT and a couple of side trails in the search area this Saturday through Tuesday--if any one wants to join me, please feel free to PM me. I almost never hike with anyone, but would probably feel more comfortable diverting my eyes off the trail if I had someone around to assist in case of missteps.

Images

One thing we can do, is if anyone has connections with the media, especially national media, try to get them to cover the story. I hear it is in the news in Boston and of course, Maine. I also heard Indianapolis was covering it, and I assume Tennessee and Georgia where they have family connections, but it would be great if Gerry's story could get traction on the news throughout the land. I also helps I think, if we use social media. #findgerry What do you think?
    I think that could help at the very least locate the SOBO that called Stratton. THAT'S who they really want to talk to. But if that person was a section hiker and got off trail, they may be unaware of what's going on.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Goonky View Post
    I think that could help at the very least locate the SOBO that called Stratton. THAT'S who they really want to talk to. But if that person was a section hiker and got off trail, they may be unaware of what's going on.
    A very good reason to sign registers with both trail AND real name and city & state.

Rain Man

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Permanent personnel from the SERE school in Maine are also involved in the search. Some signs were found indicating a less than hopeful outcome but people have endured and survived in worse conditions. There is still hope and God willing, she will be found alive.

Quote Originally Posted by Majortrauma View Post
    Permanent personnel from the SERE school in Maine are also involved in the search. Some signs were found indicating a less than hopeful outcome but people have endured and survived in worse conditions. There is still hope and God willing, she will be found alive.
    Do you have a link to anything current? This lady and her family are in my mind constantly. I'm sure others here on WB are hoping for current info as well.
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

Quote Originally Posted by Majortrauma View Post
    Major, I gotta assume that if it were appropriate you would have elaborated, and so not to speculate i'll just echo your sentiment...still hoping and praying this turns out well. For some reason this situation has really got me bothered and reflecting, again, thoughts are with the family for a safe homecoming.

Journal Entries
    Images

Here's another good article with some new quotes and info from the searchers: http://www.sunjournal.com/news/frank...-day-6/1400731
    excellent article, i too have had her on my mind.....this just does not feel right but i think about that hiker seabreeze that went missing from the PCT back in '05 and a couple of years later a couple of hikers got lost and came across his backpack and his body was found a short distance from there. at this point i do not believe she is alive....

"Major, I gotta assume that if it were appropriate you would have elaborated..." A correct assumption.

Images

I know it is easy to be very worried at this point and speculate that the outcome will be bad. I am worried and am following this story closely. But I think we would be wise to remember that members of her family and friends are probably reading this thread. Let's be sensitive to that and remain hopeful and vigilant about a positive outcome until clear, documented facts are presented that suggest otherwise.

Donn Fendler was missing 9 days and found alive. He had no experience and no supplies. Have faith! There is still hope.

Quote Originally Posted by moytoy View Post
    Do you have a link to anything current? This lady and her family are in my mind constantly. I'm sure others here on WB are hoping for current info as well.
    Shellie asks me every half hour if anybody has heard anything.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Page 4 of 134 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 54 104 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++