WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 134 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 55 105 ... LastLast

Sad to say, but at this point there isn't much hope of finding her. Searchers on the local news where quoted as saying they are puzzled that they have not yet found her or even any signs of her. Were she on any of the trials in the area, she would have been located by now.

That rises the distinct possibility that she might have slipped and fell down a cliff or was swept down the river at the ford.

A bit over 10 years ago, a woman from Montreal stopped at Pinkham Notch and went for a walk - never to be seen again to this day. It is possible for people to simply vanish into the woods, even in areas which are fairly high traffic and after an extensive search.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

2010 complete

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    A very good reason to sign registers with both trail AND real name and city & state.

Rain Man

I always sign registers and shelter log books, even if I don't stay at the shelter. that way the search area is reduced.

2010 complete

there is still hope!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by modiyooch View Post
    there is still hope!
    yes there is. they havent found any of her gear yet either, so even if injured, she at least has her tools with her

Rarely does S&R call in the general public to "blanket" the woods and I expect they would not appreciate folks running their own private searches. If they need help they will ask for it. Unfortunately the logistics for a S&R is quite extensive and the possibility of the searchers needing rescue themselves is significant and will divert resources from the primary search. The one and only road into the search area is a one lane logging road with some bridges on the verge of collapse. Clogging it up with well intentioned individuals will not accelerate the search and will divert the professionals from their tasks. Many of the search dogs used are trained to locate scents of anyone not in their party, they don't follow a scent like a bloodhound in the movies as much as they follow scents that they don't recognize. Once folks are in the woods, the dogs effectiveness is far less.

The US border patrol has a regional headquarters nearby and they are supporting the search effort as well as the Navy personnel from the adjacent survival facility. To date, I haven't seen any public comments that the searchers are hampered by resources.

The area was extensively logged 30 years ago due to a spruce budworm epidemic and has been patch cut since then, there are numerous vintages of logging paths and roads that crisscross the area but most are grown up in dense softwood and blackberries. The roads tend to be used in winter only so they tend to be covered with tree tops during winter road construction which turns into a very difficult walking conditions in the non winter season. When bushwhacking in similar conditions, I wear Eye protection, leather work gloves and long sleeve pants and shirt. A very optimistic speed is 1 MPH with potentially much slower going when getting in tthe steep stuff.

Images

Some hikers say there is no wilderness along the AT anymore. This episode points out there is certainly plenty of rugged, remote terrain.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    A very good reason to sign registers with both trail AND real name and city & state.

Rain Man

Thank you for this reminder. I plan to sign registers more diligently in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Goonky View Post
    Thank you for this reminder. I plan to sign registers more diligently in the future.
    Ditto. Sure will weigh heavy on your mind if one actually is lost/injured and all you can think about is "Damn, really wish I had signed that last register."

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Majortrauma View Post
    Ditto. Sure will weigh heavy on your mind if one actually is lost/injured and all you can think about is "Damn, really wish I had signed that last register."
    i am now considering getting a spot.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    i am now considering getting a spot.
    Same. I'm doing 30 miles in the Barren Chairback range in a few weeks. I'm going to pick up a spot before then for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    Some hikers say there is no wilderness along the AT anymore. This episode points out there is certainly plenty of rugged, remote terrain.
    That's true. You want to get away, you can do it, even on the east coast. Just walk off trail.

In the comments section of one of the newspaper articles someone wrote that everyone on a medium to long hike should be required to purchase rescue insurance and carry a locator beacon.

I have nothing more to add. Just wishing there was more we could do to help.
    I know that all the local SAR groups have been involved, but articles have said that they are lacking coverage on weekdays. These groups are volunteer-based, so not everyone can take off work at a moment's notice to help.
    you left to walk the appalachian trail
    you can feel your heart as smooth as a snail
    the mountains your darlings
    but better to love than have something to scale

-Girlyman, "Hold It All At Bay"

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    In the comments section of one of the newspaper articles someone wrote that everyone on a medium to long hike should be required to purchase rescue insurance and carry a locator beacon.
    This is ridiculous. Is there any evidence that people on "medium to long" hikes get lost more than people on short hikes? My money would be on inexperienced day hikers. Do I really need to be required to buy another form of insurance? It's bad enough that I am required by law to buy car and health insurance. I don't know a lot about locator beacons but don't they have to be turned on to work? I'm not sure who would be able to do that while falling off a cliff or being swept down a river.

As to the search itself, has anyone considered the possibility that this person does not want to be found? People leave their lives all the time. If the person is a minor then they have to be found. If it is a consenting adult, they don't have to come home.</SPAN>

and so it begins

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ktaadn:1509634
    Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    This is ridiculous. Is there any evidence that people on "medium to long" hikes get lost more than people on short hikes? My money would be on inexperienced day hikers. Do I really need to be required to buy another form of insurance? It's bad enough that I am required by law to buy car and health insurance. I don't know a lot about locator beacons but don't they have to be turned on to work? I'm not sure who would be able to do that while falling off a cliff or being swept down a river.

As to the search itself, has anyone considered the possibility that this person does not want to be found? People leave their lives all the time. If the person is a minor then they have to be found. If it is a consenting adult, they don't have to come home.</SPAN>
    it doesn't sound very likely

I think the best case scenario is that she indeed walked out of her life. But considering that her husband was supporting her hike, I don't think that's very likely. If you want to disappear, you don't have your husband tag along.
    you left to walk the appalachian trail
    you can feel your heart as smooth as a snail
    the mountains your darlings
    but better to love than have something to scale

-Girlyman, "Hold It All At Bay"

Quote Originally Posted by QHShowoman View Post
    If you want to disappear, you don't have your husband tag along.
    Nor do you have another hiker call with a message to allay the concerns of people that might worry...

It stands to reason that the clue MajorTrauma referred to is the reason for limiting the search area to a more specific region, the "14-mile stretch" that was mentioned in yesterdays news reports.

I'm still hopeful. ((Vibes)) for the family; you remain in my thoughts.

Images

I've been following this on FB and it reminded me of a discussion my hiking buddy and I had while hiking the area about how you could fall off the side of Sugarloaf Mountain and just disappear forever. The river was low when we crossed it, but still intimidating. If it had been wet and muddy on Sugarloaf or if there had been more rain and the river was higher..... It just makes me shudder. I hope they find her. I've been sharing the story on FB, and checking regularly for updates.

I had so many close calls, and many falls that were not serious only because I didn't land wrong or on rocks. I send out my good thoughts to Gerry, her friends and family and everybody who is searching for her.

Quote Originally Posted by Hill Ape View Post
    and so it begins
    Surprised it took so long Hill Ape.

Page 5 of 134 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 55 105 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++