WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 8 of 134 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 18 58 108 ... LastLast

thanks everyone, but this thread isn't about me, at all. my apologies to any women i may have offended. that was not my intention. beyond that, i think i'm going to back out of this thread.

To get this thread back on track here is the latest I can find on the search. Posted yesterday at noon.
    http://www.sunjournal.com/news/0001/...sing-h/1402058

I read that not much searching was done Wed. and I can't find any information on the searching done yesterday.
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

She had a water crossing? If it's rained there like the southern end of the trail I could see her getting swept away. I'm 32 and was swept myself. If not for one small rock I grabbed my third time I would not be alive. Things can happen quickly even when you think you're well in the safe zone.

Quote Originally Posted by WorldPeaceAndStuff View Post
    She had a water crossing?
    In the area they are searching she would have had to cross the South Branch of the Carrabassett River. In researching some recent TJ I didn't find anyone having trouble with the crossing but you never know.
    SUPPORT LNT

The south branch of the Carrabassett River is known rise rapidly after a rain storm and folks have been stranded on one or the other side in the past. There used to be a plank that was laid across and attached by cables to a tree to keep it from washing down the river. Not sure if its still there but I have used it in the past and appreciated it was there and would not have wanted to wade the river as its quite boney with a fast flow. Usually the best approach is to wait it out as the stream drops quickly once it has stopped raining. There really isn't a good way to skip it unless a hiker hikes back up Sugarloaf. The downstream is somewhat accessible and I expect it has been searched. It flows out across a state highway after a few miles and then intersects the river which widens out.

Registered User SawnieRobertson's Avatar
    Journal Entries

What an informative post, Peakbagger! It answers many speculations that might come up. I wonder if the island between the flows is where Stitches was stranded for three days.
    You never know just what you can do until you realize you absolutely have to do it.
    --Salaun

Journal Entries

http://megwilsonauthor.com/?p=1136 By the author of Wander Women. Today's offering is about how easy it is to get disoriented out there.

I was section-hiking in Maine (in the 100-mile wilderness) a couple weeks ago. According to (much faster) NOBO's I met somewhere around Monson (don't remember where), that plank was washed away after a major storm, after I had crossed it. Apparently there were some SOBO's camped on the north side of the river, and after the storms they had to turn around and go back to Stratton. I don't know if they replaced the plank soon after or not, but I second Peakbagger's opinion about crossing that river without the plank! I hope they find her soon.

I agree with SR . Great insights to that water crossing Crabapple and peakbagger.
    SUPPORT LNT

Quote Originally Posted by Crabapple View Post
    I hope they find her soon.
    Yes, I think we all wish we could be there helping.
    SUPPORT LNT

Am I the only one troubled by this "mystery caller"?

I know that finding this person is a priority for the wardens - it's been more than a week of trying to track the caller down. We all know how familiar hikers are with each other in our respective "bubbles". Chances are pretty good you know who is hiking a day ahead or behind you. The fact that this is a female SOBO narrows the possibilities down to just a handful of women - right? Why has this caller not been located?

The other thing that occurs odd to me - why did she call the motel? If I'm Gerry, and I'm asking to get a message to my husband, wouldn't I simply give this SOBO'er my husbands phone #???

My heart goes out to her friends and family. I don't know Gerry, but I know what a wonderful person she must be to have such a loyal bunch of friends and family. I wish for nothing more than her safe return!
    www.postholer.com/Turtle Feet
    Follow me as I crawl the A.T.
    Life is an adventure or nothing at all ~ Hellen Keller

Quote Originally Posted by Turtle Feet View Post
    I am. Several days ago I posted how none of this made sense; I did get a couple replies which made the scenario possible so I hope that my initial thoughts were wrong.

And do we really know (I'm asking in all seriousness) if the call was actually made by a woman?

Turtle feet well said.

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post

And do we really know (I'm asking in all seriousness) if the call was actually made by a woman?
    That's just it, "facts" are so easily confused by reporters.
    SUPPORT LNT

Northwestern, VA (outside of Harper's Ferry)
    Images

I know that finding this person is a priority for the wardens - it's been more than a week of trying to track the caller down. We all know how familiar hikers are with each other in our respective "bubbles". Chances are pretty good you know who is hiking a day ahead or behind you. The fact that this is a female SOBO narrows the possibilities down to just a handful of women - right? Why has this caller not been located?

The other thing that occurs odd to me - why did she call the motel? If I'm Gerry, and I'm asking to get a message to my husband, wouldn't I simply give this SOBO'er my husbands phone #???

My heart goes out to her friends and family. I don't know Gerry, but I know what a wonderful person she must be to have such a loyal bunch of friends and family. I wish for nothing more than her safe return!
    One possible explanation is similar to what I would do in the same situation. For privacy reasons, I'd much rather give a stranger the number for the hotel rather than a personal cell phone number, if possible. I rarely give out my family's or others cell phone or home phone number without their permission. Perhaps she was thinking along the same lines.
    2,000 miler. Still keepin' on keepin' on.

plank was still in place, secured w/ wire & bolts, when i crossed july 21. the "island" is just a large patch of green growth. . .and i think it's in orberton stream. the northside of orberton is quite steep. i too have been checking the news & WB several times daily. . .i don't want to give up hope for inchworm.

.com

I think they have established that the hiker had stayed at Stratton Lean to which is north of Orbeton Stream. It too can fill up quickly during a storm and could be difficult at high water (less so than Carrabasset stream). One thing I need to temper the discussion is that my familiarity with the area goes back 30 years to the aftermath of the spruce budworm epidemic which required the entire drainage to be clearcut, with few trees in the area, I suspect the flash flows due to rain are less now than when they were. The last time I did this stretch is about 8 years ago and the area has definitely grown in over the years.

As an aside there was actually a small village on Reddington Pond and a narrow gauge railroad that serviced it. There is no trace of the town and the dam has been removed from Reddington Pond, but the narrow gage road beds are used for snowmachine routes.

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    I think they have established that the hiker had stayed at Stratton Lean to which is north of Orbeton Stream.
    I do not show a "Stratton lean-to" on my AMC Rangely/Stratton region trail map. She did stay at Poplar Ridge. Is that what you meant?

The news story has been puzzling from the beginning and has continued to be confusing. It seemed to me she was seen on the road to Rangeley on Sunday (by whom?), texted her husband on Monday (to meet him Monday), was reported to be at the Poplar Ridge or Spaulding Mnt Lean-to on Tues. or Wed. by a woman who called a motel. Why, it's not likely anyone on the trail knew she was missing. Why did Inchworh keep hiking if she was supposed to meet her husband Monday? To make matters worse they use townships, and never give the name the town or the road crossing where they were supposed to meet.

I saw a brief video with the husband and I'd be horrified if he were involved. He certainly seemed sincere, concerned and loving.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Bear View Post
    I do not show a "Stratton lean-to" on my AMC Rangely/Stratton region trail map. She did stay at Poplar Ridge. Is that what you meant?
    It's Spaulding Mtn. Lean-to

Page 8 of 134 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 18 58 108 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++