WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 16 of 134 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 26 66 116 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by modiyooch View Post
    There is a dirt road between the two shelters. It took us an hour to drive the road to get to the AT. I keep thinking that she took this road, but I don't know why. The female caller to the motel is confusing.
    I do not find the lone caller troubling. People don't give perfect info. If several people said she made it to Spaulding, I would feel different. As an example of how false info can be given with good intentions, I gave bad info to a search party. I met a group between Spaulding and Poplar. I told the leader that I recognized a hiker by the content of his message he left at Spaulding on the 22nd. I told the man that this person was hiking slow "north". I was shocked to overtake said hiker on 8/2 hiking south at Fry Notch. I asked him about the content written at Spaulding. He said it was him and that nobody had interviewed him. I was right about the person, but wrong about the direction. It happens. When I last saw him at Grafton Notch, he told me he did not recall seeing her, but would contact someone anyways. I think we need to stop stressing about the lone witness. She was obviously mistaken. It happens. A pile of other people said otherwise. Her testimony is rightfully ignored.
    Last edited by BirdBrain; 08-06-2013 at 09:22.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

I have been thinking of Gerry and the searchers all the time. What is really hanging with me is this... The "Daily Bulldog" is an online newspaper for the Farmington area and surrounding towns. For those of you unfamiliar with this part of Maine, Farmington is the "last" large town you pass through on route 27 if you were driving north to hike the AT in the Bigelows, Crockers, Sugarloaf, Abraham, etc (Wyman Township). It is about 45 minutes to an hour by car to the trailheads up in that area.

For the week of July 5-12, 2013, the Franklin County Sheriff 's Department Weekly Report held the report below. As a hiker who hikes alone all the time in this area, it bothered me. Now, after knowing about Gerry being missing in this area, I can't stop thinking about it. As I looked through White Blaze, I read that a hiker also encountered this "Brown Blaze" hiker in VT. Could the two be connected? Both the disappearance and the report of threatening posts happened in Wyman Township.

From the "Daily Bulldog":
    http://www.dailybulldog.com/db/news/...kly-report-10/

07/06/2013 Deputy Zecher responded to the Appalachian Trail in Wyman Township regarding a complaint from a female hiker. The complainant stated that there was a strange man who goes by the name of Richard (nickname brown blazer) had been acting strange. He has been leaving threatening messages on the AT trail recording logs. No one person has been targeted, however, she wanted to report it to law enforcement. A check of the trail heads did not reveal any vehicles that came close to the alleged offender’s first name. Notification has been made throughout the hiking community.

The post from the hiker in VT who encountered "Brown Blaze" alluded that his posts in the trail journal were sexual and violent (it is in a thread - titled "creepy", I think).

Does anyone know if the Sheriff Departments would be sharing this information with the Search and Rescue organizers, wardens, etc. I would really hope so.

"Brown blazer" is the nickname of the person reported in Wyman Twp., Maine

However the Vermont incidents are not necessarily related. The Vermont incidents reported on the Whiteblaze thread did not include a nickname.

When I contacted them, the Maine Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife have told me that the investigators are aware of these incidents.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Bear View Post
    "Brown blazer" is the nickname of the person reported in Wyman Twp., Maine

However the Vermont incidents are not necessarily related. The Vermont incidents reported on the Whiteblaze thread did not include a nickname.

When I contacted them, the Maine Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife have told me that the investigators are aware of these incidents.
    Thanks for letting me know, and I am glad you called and that they are aware. Still holding hope.

Quote Originally Posted by BirdBrain View Post
    She was obviously mistaken. It happens. A pile of other people said otherwise. Her testimony is rightfully ignored.
    The confusing part to me is why did she call? If the women was at Spaulding Mnt. Lean-to, it seems unlikely that she would even know Inchworm was missing, and why call the motel. The call may have nothing to do with Inchworm. For those following the story, it would be nice to get a clarification.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

(I know I'm a bit late posting this but...)

Just a friendly reminder to everyone when posting about missing persons:

Everything you post to Whiteblaze is searchable by google and other web searches. Before you write anything about specific missing hikers remember that friends and family can and more than likely will end up locating this site and reading your comments about their loved ones. Please be tactful, and don't needlessly fuel speculation and rumor.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

I, too, am confused (and troubled) by the mystery caller. The call to the motel occurred before most people even knew Inchworm was missing. In fact, at that point I think she was just considered "late", not really missing. If the caller had met Inchworm and Inchworm had asked the caller to contact George, wouldn't Inchworm have given the caller George's cell phone number? The news accounts of this entire situation raise more questions than they answer. perhaps I've just become obsessed, hoping for Inchworm's survival, but I wish some reporter or spokesperson for authorities would clear up the mystery of this caller.

Images

I thought I had read that the authorities had given up looking for the woman discounting her information as irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    I thought I had read that the authorities had given up looking for the woman discounting her information as irrelevant.
    Not sure if "irrelevant" is exactly the right word, but yes, discounted because by all other hiker accounts, Gerry was not at Spaulding on either Monday or Tues. nights. That's the reason the search grid was compressed to the area that it was on Sunday.
    www.postholer.com/Turtle Feet
    Follow me as I crawl the A.T.
    Life is an adventure or nothing at all ~ Hellen Keller

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Turtle Feet View Post
    Not sure if "irrelevant" is exactly the right word, but yes, discounted because by all other hiker accounts, Gerry was not at Spaulding on either Monday or Tues. nights. That's the reason the search grid was compressed to the area that it was on Sunday.
    yes, "discounted" was the word used

Quote Originally Posted by ScottishLass View Post
    I, too, am confused (and troubled) by the mystery caller. The call to the motel occurred before most people even knew Inchworm was missing. In fact, at that point I think she was just considered "late", not really missing. If the caller had met Inchworm and Inchworm had asked the caller to contact George, wouldn't Inchworm have given the caller George's cell phone number? The news accounts of this entire situation raise more questions than they answer. perhaps I've just become obsessed, hoping for Inchworm's survival, but I wish some reporter or spokesperson for authorities would clear up the mystery of this caller.
    You really shouldn't believe what you read. Anyone who has had any experience of being very close to a newsworthy event can tell you that what is reported is often only very loosely connected to what actually happened....even eye witnesses can't agree on occasion....the media in events such as this one are little better than a grown up version of the playground game "Chinese whispers"...I sincerely hope she is found alive and well somewhere but that doesn't look likely...it is most likely that they are looking, or have looked in the wrong place...

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ScottishLass View Post
    If the caller had met Inchworm and Inchworm had asked the caller to contact George, wouldn't Inchworm have given the caller George's cell phone number?
    Someone mentioned this before, but I can attest the the fact that with a cell phone, I have no idea what anyone's number is anymore. If her battery was dead, she wouldn't be able to get George's number. If her phone was simply without service, that's a different story.

This situation is a really good reminder that I should take some time to memorize the most important numbers in my phone.
    ~Trudging the road of happy destiny~

Quote Originally Posted by Fur Queue View Post
    You really shouldn't believe what you read. Anyone who has had any experience of being very close to a newsworthy event can tell you that what is reported is often only very loosely connected to what actually happened....even eye witnesses can't agree on occasion....the media in events such as this one are little better than a grown up version of the playground game "Chinese whispers"...I sincerely hope she is found alive and well somewhere but that doesn't look likely...it is most likely that they are looking, or have looked in the wrong place...
    I agree regarding the accuracy of media reporting. The reports were way off with last year's Maine tragedy, as told to me by those who were there.

Quote Originally Posted by marshbirder View Post

This situation is a really good reminder that I should take some time to memorize the most important numbers in my phone.
    Or at least write them down, and store them somewhere safe. For everyday usage, a piece of paper in your wallet. For the trail instead of paper permanent marker on the inside lid of your backpack.
    Love people and use things; never the reverse.

Mt. Katahdin would be a lot quicker to climb if its darn access trail didn't start all the way down in Georgia.

Better half of me feels the authorities are saying specific things to possibly "flush the quail out". ( her words )
    As one might have guessed, she is in law enforcement ( at a high level thus the ability to carry in all the states and national parks ) but I am not.

I am guessing they are trying to make a suspect make a mistake? Read through the lines in the press conferences and released info. I am going to try to get my better half to look at the details of this and give me her full take on it but she is quite busy all the time.

Personally I find the caller intriguing myself

I was initially really stuck on the caller as well and as things progressed, it got less important. But now that the search for the caller has ceased without any real reason why, I have to say, that I find myself wondering about the caller again.

Why wouldn't the authorities qualify their statement that they're no longer looking for the caller with a reason -- like "she's already been found," "it was determined to be a ruse," "we've learned that the information she provided is no longer believed to be true or correct"?
    you left to walk the appalachian trail
    you can feel your heart as smooth as a snail
    the mountains your darlings
    but better to love than have something to scale

-Girlyman, "Hold It All At Bay"

Images

I think it's best not to speculate about what cards the law enforcement may be hiding and such things. Let them do their job and keep hoping, praying, etc., for inchworm's safe return.
    The more miles, the merrier!

NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Driver8 View Post
    I think it's best not to speculate about what cards the law enforcement may be hiding and such things. Let them do their job and keep hoping, praying, etc., for inchworm's safe return.
    Exactly, the best we can do is keep the family and friends in our thoughts and prayers.

Quote Originally Posted by modiyooch View Post
    There is a dirt road between the two shelters. It took us an hour to drive the road to get to the AT. I keep thinking that she took this road, but I don't know why. The female caller to the motel is confusing.
    I realize folks being slack packed utilize this road which my memory says is still a mile walk to thr AT along the logging road that parallels above the Orbeton Stream crossing. This is not a highly used or well known trailhead at all. Not like Caribou Valley Rd. I assume it is how SAR was accessing this region but it's a long ways in and I have certainly never attempted it.

Is it actually driveable right to the AT now (it wasn't 7-8 years ago)? In my humble opinion she vanished smack dab in one of the most remote inaccessible stretches of the trail - even by Maine standards. Which is why I just can't go with foul play. It is however quite close to the Navy survival school to the west in Dallas. Interesting enough that hasn't been mentioned at all. I have long wondered just how close the two are on foot.
    AT02, LT 03-04, BMT05, NPT06, Haute Route07, Abol Ridgerunner 07/08, EBC Nepal trek 10

Quote Originally Posted by QHShowoman View Post
    I was initially really stuck on the caller as well and as things progressed, it got less important. But now that the search for the caller has ceased without any real reason why, I have to say, that I find myself wondering about the caller again.

Why wouldn't the authorities qualify their statement that they're no longer looking for the caller with a reason -- like "she's already been found," "it was determined to be a ruse," "we've learned that the information she provided is no longer believed to be true or correct"?
    That's exactly what has me perplexed. At least give us some closure about that.

Page 16 of 134 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 26 66 116 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++