WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 22 of 134 FirstFirst ... 12 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 32 72 122 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Ground Control View Post
    interactive map released today from Kennebec Journal: http://www.kjonline.com/Interactive_...ne_Largay.html Perhaps the search area map picture on slide 9, if enlarged, might answer your question about the search area, joshuasdad?
    It does not appear to cover the Fire Warden Trail, nor does the search grid shown at this link:

http://www.sunjournal.com/news/maine...led-ba/1403223

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    Video says noon.

http://www.wcsh6.com/news/local/stor...storyid=252206

It's only 4.2 miles from Poplar Ridge Lean-to to Lone Mnt. Why would it take all day?
    I wouldn't go by Bill Green's words. I've met him, been on the Green Outdoors, etc - his reporting isn't perfect. Everyone else including her friends who came up to hike the last time sighted was 3:30 incl the cell phone ping. Her friend answered me above that she walked 1 mph pace.
    AT02, LT 03-04, BMT05, NPT06, Haute Route07, Abol Ridgerunner 07/08, EBC Nepal trek 10

Quote Originally Posted by attroll View Post
    I was told be her friends that she kept her cell phone off except when she used it and then she would turn it off again. My guess is that she probably turn her cell phone on at Lone Mtn to check for text messages and then turned it back off. That is just my assumption. This would explain the last ping.
    Is that what is meant by a ping? Phone must be on and trying to place a call or text? I don't know precisely what generates a "ping".
    AT02, LT 03-04, BMT05, NPT06, Haute Route07, Abol Ridgerunner 07/08, EBC Nepal trek 10

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebearee View Post
    Is that what is meant by a ping? Phone must be on and trying to place a call or text? I don't know precisely what generates a "ping".
    ping: http://www.ask.com/question/what-is-a-cell-phone-ping
    www.postholer.com/Turtle Feet
    Follow me as I crawl the A.T.
    Life is an adventure or nothing at all ~ Hellen Keller

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    Second guessing the Maine wardens...

If she was spotted near Lone Mnt at noon, she may have tried to push on past the Spaulding Mnt Lean-to to Crocker Cirque Campsite. The 5 miles from Spauldling Mnt to Caribou Valley Road the (possible) likely area of disappearance.
    Sly, This is what I have thought from the get go. I hike and bushwhack quite a bit in that area, including "whacks" to trail-less peaks on the Abraham ridge so I know the area fairly well. Using the Abraham Fire Warden trail would be a big mistake, especially since the logging road bridges washed out during Irene. Additionally there are lots of very steep trail sections through woods where you are literally holding on to trees to keep from slipping. Older guides talk about the old Abraham shelter. No longer there. I have also taken the old trail from the Abraham side trail junction down into Caribou Pond. That old snowmachine trail is really overgrown, and is marginally flagged since it goes through old grown up logging clearings. The most sketchy part of the trail in that area is the washed out and steep descent off the ridgeline into Caribou Valley from Sugerloaf. A fall there will could take you directly into the woods below the trail as it switches back and forth to avoid ledges and drop offs. It is possible to think that a good exit directly to ME 27 would be by using Caribou Valley Road instead of continuing over the Crockers. It would then be easy to get back on the trail to return to hiking. Especially since most of the CVR is drivable from ME 27...Although most AT hikers wouldn't be aware of it, but the CVR is a popular peak bagging parking spot and finding a car or cars there is not that uncommon. Also, There are two shelters at Spaulding. One old and one new and they are not together. It might be possible to stay at one and not come in contact with someone staying at the other. Not too likely though.
    Everyone has a photographic memory. Not everyone has film.

Quote Originally Posted by Turtle Feet View Post
    Thanks but that still doesn't answer how the ping is generated. Phone must be on and then what? Is that enough or must one try to initiate communication using it? That's my question.

Quote Originally Posted by modiyooch View Post
    The road is Perham Stream Road. Here are the directions. I felt lost just driving it.

1) From intersection of ME 16/27/142 in Kingfield take ME 142 southwest 12.7 miles.
    2) Look for East Madrid Road (signed & paved) on right. Sign there is for (Hot Mix Plant).
    3) 1.0 miles from there pavement ends & 1.9 miles pavement resumes.
    4) 2.1 4-way intersection (crossroad) continue straight. Junction with Bray Hill Road.
    5) 3.0 pavement ends again.
    6) 4.5 cross bridge near houses. Just beyond, road becomes a little rough going up hill to left.
    7) 5.3 cross roads with fences on far side of intersection. (plenty of posted signs at intersection) - make right. Rough narrow road from here.
    8) 5.7 rotted bridge and I was not sure I could trust it but asked around and they assured me the bridge was OK and safe to cross.
    9) 6.9 green gate on right
    10) 7.5 bridge over stream. Make immediate left at fork after bridge. Many snowmobile trail signs at intersection
    11) 7.7 & 7.8 cross rough gullys
    12) 8.0 another fork after another bridge - bear left.
    13) 8.3 junction on left - stay straight
    14) 9.2 fork again - stay left.
    15) 10.7 cross AT, Perham Stream bridge & parking on left.
    Modiyooch, how long ago did you travel Perham Stream Road to the AT? Recently? How many years ago?

Joshuasdad or ElephantEater, when you went through recently was the intersection of Perham Stream Road with the AT still visible?

Wondering if it Perham stream road is still passable by vehicle or ATV to the AT, or all overgrown with vegetation now.

pinging has a few different meanings, i think (but do not know) that for the purposes of this discussion people are meaning to ping a gps location, which would require the phone user to take some kind action, or there are apps that do that for you, turning a cell phone into a sort of PLB. this is the "find my phone" feature now pretty common on cell phones. that type pinging is referred to as MoPing. there is also a method that cell phone carriers can use to ping a phone to determine which cell phone towers are in contact with that phone. it doesn't actually provide location data, the pings narrow the physical location of a phone only to the coverage of a particual cell tower, which can cover many square miles. but can be used to triangulate a location more precisely which would require three towers to be in contact with the phone.

both types would require the battery to charged, the phone to be turned on, and the sim card in place.

Is there anyone in that area of Maine that is willing to walk some of those side trails, to see what they can see?

Thanks but that still doesn't answer how the ping is generated. Phone must be on and then what? Is that enough or must one try to initiate communication using it? That's my question.
    If the phone is on and not in airplane mode it will generate a ping to any available tower.
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

Heck, even drive to those trailheads that are near where she was last seen.

Quote Originally Posted by moytoy View Post
    If the phone is on and not in airplane mode it will generate a ping to any available tower.
    And if no tower is in range it will keep trying which burns up more battery than when the phone is in range.
    Love people and use things; never the reverse.

Mt. Katahdin would be a lot quicker to climb if its darn access trail didn't start all the way down in Georgia.

Quote Originally Posted by JustaTouron View Post
    And if no tower is in range it will keep trying which burns up more battery than when the phone is in range.
    yep..........
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

In computer networking language (and cell phones are all computers!) a 'ping' is a packet of digital data with no content, used to verify connectivity with another machine, to measure the amount of time it takes the network to deliver data, or to determine how the packet is routed from the origin to the destination. A machine typically replies to a ping simply by echoing it back at the sender. (The term comes from the image of a sonar operator sending out a ping and awaiting the echo.)

Cell phones, when turned on and not in airplane mode, exchange pings regularly. It's how the cell phone network determines where a phone is located and which towers have the best communication with it. (This information is needed to route a call if someone calls the phone.) Modern cell towers also may have gear that measures the approximate direction to the phone. If two or more towers can see the phone, its location can be calculated by triangulation even if its GPS isn't on.

Nobody has to be calling or texting on the phone for it to exchange pings with nearby towers. In fact, the reason your cell battery dies so fast when you're out of range is that the phone steps up its power output, essentially screaming at the top of its lungs trying to get a tower to hear its pings. One other thing that the exchange of pings is used for, in fact, is to determine what minimum power level is needed to sustain communications, which both saves battery and helps avoid interference among phones.

The network typically retains location information of phones for a few days, to allow for just such forensic investigation as this. In addition, it is reported that certain Federal agencies collect this data and retain it indefinitely, providing them with a near-complete record of the movements of all individuals that carry phones. The agencies in question, however, are too secretive to use the data to aid local authorities in search operations.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Quote Originally Posted by Another Kevin View Post
    In computer networking language (and cell phones are all computers!) a 'ping' is a packet of digital data with no content, used to verify connectivity with another machine, to measure the amount of time it takes the network to deliver data, or to determine how the packet is routed from the origin to the destination. A machine typically replies to a ping simply by echoing it back at the sender. (The term comes from the image of a sonar operator sending out a ping and awaiting the echo.)

Cell phones, when turned on and not in airplane mode, exchange pings regularly. It's how the cell phone network determines where a phone is located and which towers have the best communication with it. (This information is needed to route a call if someone calls the phone.) Modern cell towers also may have gear that measures the approximate direction to the phone. If two or more towers can see the phone, its location can be calculated by triangulation even if its GPS isn't on.

Nobody has to be calling or texting on the phone for it to exchange pings with nearby towers. In fact, the reason your cell battery dies so fast when you're out of range is that the phone steps up its power output, essentially screaming at the top of its lungs trying to get a tower to hear its pings. One other thing that the exchange of pings is used for, in fact, is to determine what minimum power level is needed to sustain communications, which both saves battery and helps avoid interference among phones.

The network typically retains location information of phones for a few days, to allow for just such forensic investigation as this. In addition, it is reported that certain Federal agencies collect this data and retain it indefinitely, providing them with a near-complete record of the movements of all individuals that carry phones. The agencies in question, however, are too secretive to use the data to aid local authorities in search operations.
    Excellent explanation for us 'laymen' Kevin - thank you so much!

So basically, simply because her phone was last pinged near the Lone Mt. summit, doesn't mean that she moved many miles from there, still under her own power (just without cell phone power). Is that safe to say?
    www.postholer.com/Turtle Feet
    Follow me as I crawl the A.T.
    Life is an adventure or nothing at all ~ Hellen Keller

Pure speculation, but isn't it possible that the cell phone, when pinged, was not with Gerry but was being carried north by someone who found it, or worse, by an attacker?

yes, that is safe to say, to me the only thing that ping means, is that the phone was in a certain coverage area, of whatever tower the phone pinged. it does not mean that they were able to precisely determine where that ping originated.

tiptoe, of course that is possible, there are many possibilities that are possible, but all are pure speculation.

Quote Originally Posted by tiptoe View Post
    Pure speculation, but isn't it possible that the cell phone, when pinged, was not with Gerry but was being carried north by someone who found it, or worse, by an attacker?
    It is also possible she was attacked by a bear and the bear took her cell phone up the mountain. The list of possible is endless.

The list of probably is much shorter: she got lost and wondered outside what became the search region.
    Love people and use things; never the reverse.

Mt. Katahdin would be a lot quicker to climb if its darn access trail didn't start all the way down in Georgia.

kevin, are you the poster that used the stokes equation the other day? if so, what do you do? not meaning to pry, just curious

2010 complete

Quote Originally Posted by Green Bear View Post
    Modiyooch, how long ago did you travel Perham Stream Road to the AT? Recently? How many years ago?

Joshuasdad or ElephantEater, when you went through recently was the intersection of Perham Stream Road with the AT still visible?

Wondering if it Perham stream road is still passable by vehicle or ATV to the AT, or all overgrown with vegetation now.
    1. Drove down that road three times in 2009. (time flies)
    2. If the road is visible from the AT, Gerry may have thought it was a good rendezvous point; not realizing that it's 11 miles long.
    3. Are there buildings on top of Sugarloaf that she could have entered for safety?

Page 22 of 134 FirstFirst ... 12 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 32 72 122 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++