WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 12 of 134 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 22 62 112 ... LastLast

I find it odd that they won't say why they are no longer looking for that mysterious caller! Either that she has been found and could not offer any more useful information ! Or that she had been found and her information was inaccurate or that the call had never been placed! They do seem to be particularly closed mouth about this bit of information! Makes one wonder why?

Quote Originally Posted by Trail Bug View Post
    I would think it would not be hard for the searchers to get the phone records for the motel that day and find out who made the call. Not up on all these new phones, but don't they have a GPS chip built in so the last location used can be located? Still holding for a positive outcome.
    They can triangulate a call from area cell towers. They would know what tower it came in from I believe. Multiple towers helps accuracy. Kind of how a GPS works, your position is a distance to a satellite which is like a radius to a circle. Three satellites are needed for height, lat and long. Where the three circles overlap is your position. I don't know if the towers know your nearly exact distance like a satellite does. As far as the GPS info, I don't know whether that gets transmitted in a GPS chipped phone.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Default ???

Was the area Crunchmaster saw her before the Spaulding LT or after ? If after, the information the caller left would not be pertinent to the search.

The dogs were there. I was coming off the Bigelows on the 25th headed south. I saw and talked to many authorities and searchers until the 29th. That day I slept at Piazza Rock. The majority opinion I heard was she is somewhere between Poplar and Spaulding Leantos. I agree with many, that is she made it to Sugarloaf, there are plenty of places to fall and not be seen. Those that I talked with don't believe she made it that far. Having just come from the region she is missing in, I can't imagine where she could fall and not be seen by now. There are places to fall, but you would be seen by now. I looked hard for spots, but could not find many. Just saying.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by BirdBrain View Post
    The dogs were there. I was coming off the Bigelows on the 25th headed south. I saw and talked to many authorities and searchers until the 29th. That day I slept at Piazza Rock. The majority opinion I heard was she is somewhere between Poplar and Spaulding Leantos. I agree with many, that is she made it to Sugarloaf, there are plenty of places to fall and not be seen. Those that I talked with don't believe she made it that far. Having just come from the region she is missing in, I can't imagine where she could fall and not be seen by now. There are places to fall, but you would be seen by now. I looked hard for spots, but could not find many. Just saying.
    :Hey BB so good to see you!! Thanks for sharing what you know from being in the area.

http://www.wmtw.com/news/maine/appal...i/-/index.html

Just found this story... ^

Quote Originally Posted by HikerMomKD View Post
    :Hey BB so good to see you!! Thanks for sharing what you know from being in the area.

http://www.wmtw.com/news/maine/appal...i/-/index.html

Just found this story... ^
    I am deeply troubled (as all are), that they have not found her yet. Again, having gone through that region while looking for her near the trail, I can't imagine a place on that part of the trail she could have been hurt and not found. This leaves several possibilities, of which I won't speculate. The trail is clearly marked and trodden in that area too. I am just hoping she left the trail for personal reasons and is safe.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

it's possible she could have been picked up at caribou valley road

She might have fallen, been injured and possibly disoriented, and worked her way down because she could not go up.
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator View Post
    She might have fallen, been injured and possibly disoriented, and worked her way down because she could not go up.
    That is possible. Anything is possible. I do know that the area was so scrutinized that a single drop of blood on Poplar Ridge was red taped off. It was my (likely ignorant) thinking that if she fell "on the trail", some sort of evidence would have been found by now (like a hat or trekking pole). If she went off trail, all bets are off. Anything is possible.

That is possible. Anything is possible. I do know that the area was so scrutinized that a single drop of blood on Poplar Ridge was red taped off. It was my (likely ignorant) thinking that if she fell "on the trail", some sort of evidence would have been found by now (like a hat or trekking pole). If she went off trail, all bets are off. Anything is possible.
    Wow BB... you are the first person commenting about this situation with first hand info... I just hope for some good news!!! Do you know anything about the news conference that's supposed to be held today??

Wow BB... you are the first person commenting about this situation with first hand info... I just hope for some good news!!! Do you know anything about the news conference that's supposed to be held today??
    This article has video from the news conference: http://www.sunjournal.com/news/maine...sunday/1403223

No clue. I am on here looking for more info like others. I can tell you that the Rangers looked pretty depressed (understandable), the State Police looked very serious (again, no surprise), and the searchers looked very determined. I heard more that one hiker say something like, 'Wow! If you get lost in Maine they come looking for you'. A hiker staying with us at Poplar Leanto asked the State Police how long they intended to look. The officer answered, "We don't set limits on such things".

They mentioned the difference between searches today. They are going to to grid search. For those unfamiliar with the technique, this involves a line of people spread at a fixed distance walking at the same pace. One person usually controls the pace. It can be slow and is difficult on sloping terrain, heavy underbrush, loose footing etc.

It could be the case that she fell off and wandered down and maybe didn't make it further but is sheltered under something where she is not visible. Sometimes cars go off the road even and people don't see them for days.
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator View Post
    They mentioned the difference between searches today. They are going to to grid search.
    I can tell you from 1st hand observation, that they were already doing that type along at least one stream the day we left Poplar Ridge. We met two groups. One was headed to the leanto area, the other was already spread out quite wide along a brook. They were all talking to each other to maintain an even pace.

I agree with your thoughts of possibilities. We are all hoping and praying. She was no rookie. A person can survive a long time with little food. There is still a lot of room for hope.

Without giving my career away, getting phone records in a known homicide investigation isn't easy at all.

Great info...I am not able to view the press conference online. Does anyone know if any members of the press asked for clarification on the mysterious phone call to the motel. I see that they did confirm she was NOT at the Spaulding LT like originally thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Koda View Post
    I see that they did confirm she was NOT at the Spaulding LT like originally thought.
    Which puts this entire interactive timeline in question, at least in my mind http://www.kjonline.com/Interactive_...ne_Largay.html

Quote Originally Posted by nu2hike View Post
    Was the area Crunchmaster saw her before the Spaulding LT or after ? If after, the information the caller left would not be pertinent to the search.
    Before. This unknown caller thing is starting to seem suspicious to me, if it was a bogus call to through searchers off the trail then we are in a different scenario here. And I agree why aren't "they" telling more about that?
    AT02, LT 03-04, BMT05, NPT06, Haute Route07, Abol Ridgerunner 07/08, EBC Nepal trek 10

Images

Here's another article about info from the press conference earlier and it gives a good description between what a "hasty" search is and a grid search, which they were conducting today. Grid searches use more SAR personnel, use a GPS mapped out grid of the search area and are usually more time intensive due to searching thicker areas of underbrush, more sloping terrain, etc.

BirdBrain you may have seen the searches doing a hasty type search along the river, seems even with those they will be searching with each other in close proximity.

There is a map at the bottom of the article of the area they are searching today.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by wakapak View Post
    Here's another article about info from the press conference earlier and it gives a good description between what a "hasty" search is and a grid search, which they were conducting today. Grid searches use more SAR personnel, use a GPS mapped out grid of the search area and are usually more time intensive due to searching thicker areas of underbrush, more sloping terrain, etc.

BirdBrain you may have seen the searches doing a hasty type search along the river, seems even with those they will be searching with each other in close proximity.

There is a map at the bottom of the article of the area they are searching today.
    Here's the article which I forgot to add: http://www.onlinesentinel.com/news/W...ail-hiker.html

Page 12 of 134 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 22 62 112 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++