WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 94 of 134 FirstFirst ... 44 84 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 104 ... LastLast
Results 1,861 to 1,880 of 2679
    Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

MODS: Is it time to unstickify this thread? She's been found, we don't need it showing up at the top every time any more.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Images

I disagree with you.
    Conquest: It is not the Mountain we conquer but Ourselves

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Another Kevin View Post
    MODS: Is it time to unstickify this thread? She's been found, we don't need it showing up at the top every time any more.
    Found deceased, without any further information, or a shred of evidence , as to what happened to her, and how she got to where she was found.

All theories, both wild and not, are simply speculative still, with no supporting evidence.

There's more to learn. The ME hasn't spoken. The State Police, who have jurisdiction in unattended deaths like this, haven't spoken. And a user here, who after she was found, posted he found remains ("That's right at the site where we found the bones.") and hasn't heard back from the warden he contacted.
    I dunno about you, but I'd think if there was a "team" in the area shortly before her remains were found, who took photos and GPS tagged a near-by pile of bones, that the State Police would be interested.
    As I said, there's more to learn.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Journal Entries

Yea, but you and your partner missed her too.

So what if you found a small pile of bones (most probably animal bones)in the area.
    Rickb When you have a lost person scenario in the wilderness, big or small, there are some basic and advanced guidelines you follow based on excellent science and strategy gathered over decades. If you take this method and you use 1) critical analysis and 2) common sense, you have the highest degree of success. Its not really a debatable point. If you feel otherwise you should review #2

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Found deceased, without any further information, or a shred of evidence , as to what happened to her, and how she got to where she was found.

All theories, both wild and not, are simply speculative still, with no supporting evidence.
    I'm not asking to close the thread. It was made sticky because the wardens were actively asking for help finding her. Now that she's found, they're not asking. If the trhead's active, let it float to the top on its own accord.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Images

if you don't want to read it don't click on the thread...problem solved
    Conquest: It is not the Mountain we conquer but Ourselves

Images

Starfly: To post photos here, look above the Quick Reply box in which you type. to the right of the A, fourth icon is "Insert Image" (looks kinda like an hourglass to me). Click that and follow the prompts. At least one person here believes you didn't find Inchworm's remains. Posting your pics here would help us evaluate your claim. Thanks in advance.
    The more miles, the merrier!

NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

Quote Originally Posted by Driver8 View Post
    Starfly: To post photos here, look above the Quick Reply box in which you type. to the right of the A, fourth icon is "Insert Image" (looks kinda like an hourglass to me). Click that and follow the prompts. At least one person here believes you didn't find Inchworm's remains. Posting your pics here would help us evaluate your claim. Thanks in advance.
    Are you freaking kiddin' me, you want pictures of a fallen hikers bones posted in an open public forum for all the little CSI wannabes to give their assessment? I can't even begin to tell you just how twisted that is, take a minute and let that sink in...seriously, wait for the report and much of what needs to be answered will be answered.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Are you freaking kiddin' me, you want pictures of a fallen hikers bones posted in an open public forum for all the little CSI wannabes to give their assessment? I can't even begin to tell you just how twisted that is, take a minute and let that sink in...seriously, wait for the report and much of what needs to be answered will be answered.
    Yes, it just doesn't really matter who believes (or not) what Starfly found.This is just a forum, not a place for things like that.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post

Found deceased, with information not released to us, with evidence not released to us, with some knowledge of what happened to her, and with knowledge of how she got to where she was found.

You are making assumptions. All that can be established is that WE don't have many details. It is a bad assumption that those that deserve details do not have any. Yes, I am assuming too. However, my assumptions are based in experience. Let me rewrite the original sentence one more time to reflect reality.

Found deceased, without much information being released to the public, or any possible evidence being released to the public, as to what happened to her, and how she got there.

This dovetails with another premise that is being bantered. Some believe if you ask for help, you forfeit privacy. Said another way, some believe that if the family wanted privacy, they should not have asked for help. Said another way, there are some that are not willing to help unless they are allowed to be nosey. I do not agree. It is their loss. It is their grief. It is their reality. We deserve nothing. Normal civilized people do good without entering any quid quo pro agreement. Do not construe this thought to mean that a reward should not be collected. That is an entirely different matter.

Does anyone volunteer anymore, or give to charity, or visit the elderly, or stop at accidents, or help a lady change a flat tire, or ... search for the lost without expecting, nay demanding, something in return anymore? I am as curious as anyone. God knows I am curious. However, I am infinitely more concerned with the feelings of those to which this event is more than just an internet puzzle.

Mark it down. They know more than us. At this point, it is likely to remain that way. People can throw temper tantrums and demand. That will result in something being revealed, but it won't be anything to do with InchWorm.

MW, please forgive me. Most of what I just wrote has nothing to do with what you posted.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by BirdBrain View Post
    Found deceased, with information not released to us, with evidence not released to us, with some knowledge of what happened to her, and with knowledge of how she got to where she was found.

You are making assumptions. All that can be established is that WE don't have many details. It is a bad assumption that those that deserve details do not have any. Yes, I am assuming too. However, my assumptions are based in experience. Let me rewrite the original sentence one more time to reflect reality.

Found deceased, without much information being released to the public, or any possible evidence being released to the public, as to what happened to her, and how she got there.

This dovetails with another premise that is being bantered. Some believe if you ask for help, you forfeit privacy. Said another way, some believe that if the family wanted privacy, they should not have asked for help. Said another way, there are some that are not willing to help unless they are allowed to be nosey. I do not agree. It is their loss. It is their grief. It is their reality. We deserve nothing. Normal civilized people do good without entering any quid quo pro agreement. Do not construe this thought to mean that a reward should not be collected. That is an entirely different matter.

Does anyone volunteer anymore, or give to charity, or visit the elderly, or stop at accidents, or help a lady change a flat tire, or ... search for the lost without expecting, nay demanding, something in return anymore? I am as curious as anyone. God knows I am curious. However, I am infinitely more concerned with the feelings of those to which this event is more than just an internet puzzle.

Mark it down. They know more than us. At this point, it is likely to remain that way. People can throw temper tantrums and demand. That will result in something being revealed, but it won't be anything to do with InchWorm.

MW, please forgive me. Most of what I just wrote has nothing to do with what you posted.
    Thanks, friend.

Images

...Some believe if you ask for help, you forfeit privacy. Said another way, some believe that if the family wanted privacy, they should not have asked for help. Said another way, there are some that are not willing to help unless they are allowed to be nosey. I do not agree. It is their loss. It is their grief. It is their reality. We deserve nothing. Normal civilized people do good without entering any quid quo pro agreement. Do not construe this thought to mean that a reward should not be collected. That is an entirely different matter...
    Well, the reality is that when you die, you simply don't retain much of your privacy. Nor do survivors retain the decedent's privacy rights except in a very limited sense.

Due to the events and unusual circumstances of Gerry's disappearance and death, I don't see that a reasonable person would expect that there wouldn't be strong public interest in the details regarding the conclusion to the search and recovery. It was national news for over two years, massive searches were mounted, public funds were spent on investigations and S&R, rewards were offered, people volunteered their time, etc. All of these would result in an expectation that relevant details related to the incident be released to the public.

Some may see the interest in Gerry's death as an invasion of the surviving family's privacy. I don't. If people didn't care, they wouldn't have followed her story - there is no lack of intriguing stories in the media competing for attention. Rather, I see most of the interest coming from a small portion of the public, most of whom shared Gerry's love of hiking. She was part of the hiking community, an extended family of sorts that would also like closure in this tragic event.
    Last edited by 4eyedbuzzard; 10-29-2015 at 14:00.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

I think if you ask people to help, well, then you are asking them to care. And it only follows that if you care, then maybe you have just as much right to know as others that care for her...ie her family.

The Busby article is atrocious. This paragraph in particular is wildly untrue and designed to characterize the military personnel there as villains or worse.
    For anyone who really knows what goes on there, instead of what they pulled from the internet, they know that the students are not subjected to intense "torture." The torture committed by the muslim fanatics that we have see on TV and the www , THAT is intense torture.

"She was inside the borders of a secretive military facility the Navy has been using since the 1960s to conduct SERE (Survival, Evasion, Resistance and Escape) training. Enlisted personnel — and, more recently, private contractors and foreign troops — are taught wilderness survival skills in these woods, then hunted down and brought to a fake P.O.W. camp, where they are subjected to intense physical and psychological torture over the course of several days.

Busby is just promoting the earlier story he published. Anti-military conspiracy nonsense, and lies. SERE folks helped in the search, LE used their helo pad, and it's no secret that the base is there. I've asked BDN to print a retraction and to correct the false reporting.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Journal Entries

Peddling a rocketsocks you don't really think I would post images of the departed here do you? Obviously that would be tasteless and unnecessary. I have some interesting pictures of railroad road, the navy boundary it appears she probably followed from somewhere at some point and ended up near, and some other non sensitive ones. I'll keep trying but the files are too big. Anyway the bone pile was likely not human if it wasn't found and removed by the warden service, I have no idea.

Registered User SawnieRobertson's Avatar
    Journal Entries

We have all cared for whatever reason, but, of course, we want our own maybe pathetic closure about what happened. Definitely, if there is ANY indication that this might have been a CRIMINAL ACT, all hikers want to know what brought the ME to that possible conclusion. Besides that is, as I said, just plain caring.
    You never know just what you can do until you realize you absolutely have to do it.
    --Salaun

I'm wondering if those most familiar with this area could say how easy it would be to mistake the railroad bed, or another side trail in that vicinity, as the AT if one were hiking with head down deep in thought. Perhaps then one might be able to make a concerted effort to mark such a spot in the area in which she went missing. It obviously doesn't happen often here, but for some reason it might have happened in this instance. I know folks have posted that the AT is well marked in this area and I don't doubt that. But once while hiking the 100 mile wilderness I hiked onto a side trail and went about a quarter mile without realizing I was no longer on the AT. I am also an experienced backpacker but I was lost in thought and temporarily not paying attention - not unusual for someone hiking alone. I don't mean to beat a dead horse here, but I keep coming back to this as a plausible explanation and no one would not want a similar fate for anyone else. Perhaps we could use Gerry's experience to prevent another tragedy.
    "To take risks is to live, to be always safe and secure is certain death" - Edward Abbey

Page 94 of 134 FirstFirst ... 44 84 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 104 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++