WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

:banana Bad at directions

Bad at directions. If someone can please help me, I am looking to hike the AAT next year as it through hiker. I have not hiked for probably 30 years. I have a tendency to get lost. LOL. How often are there white blazes seen on the trees on the trails? Is this something I should be concerned about?

the trial is extremely well blazed. That being said, I have found myself off trail a time or two when there was an intersection with another trail and I wasn't paying attention. walking for hours at a time by yourself in the woods can lull you into a trance. I always carry maps and a compass so I always managed to get back to the trail without backtracking. I always said that if I dropped a $100 bill on the ground during my thru hike, I wouldn't walk more than 50 yards SOBO to retrieve it.

Journal Entries

At least every 1/4 mile, if not every 100 ft.
    As long as on a trail, and havent come to intersection, dont need em. Not permitted in wilderness areas.

Most of the trail is well blazed, but the blazes are a bit irregular. Sometimes it seems there are too many, other times too few. In the woods it's hard to get lost -- unless you step off the trail, to honor nature's call, for example.

The woods can be very dense in places, so get your bearings and keep your eye on your pack when you leave the trail for that purpose.

The other place it gets confusing at times is when the trail meets a road or parking lot and you can't see the opposite trailhead from wherever you stepped out of the woods. Sometimes there's a short roadwalk involved. It could be fifty feet, or it could be a quarter mile. I've gotten mildly lost many times.

If you haven't seen a blaze in five of ten minutes, it's time to slow down and check your location. Often it helps to look over your shoulder for blazes aimed at hikers coming from the opposite direction.

Some clubs do good with the blazing Some , not so good. Look at blazing as an aid to navigation. One tool in a box. If you are bad at navigation and blazing is all you got then you could have problems. I have several tools and still manage to get off trail. Maps,compas etc do help. I have found that paying attention and keeping my brain focused is the most important element. If you walk along willy nilly grooving to the tune in your ear buds for 12 hours a day you will get lost.

Journal Entries

Zman, there's a sad discussion here on WhiteBlaze about a hiker who died a couple of years ago after getting lost. One of the big lessons is as Rafe said above, always carry maps and a compass. The trail is well blazed, but for those directionally-challenged like yourself, it's irresponsible to rely on the white blazes alone.

By the way, you may wish to edit your location to be a little less specific.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/201...?event=event12

Images

If you have missed the trail, but you know where you just came from, I think the smartest thing to do is ALWAYS go back in the direction you came from. You know where you saw that last blaze, now go back and figure out what went wrong. This is no time for someone with poor navigation skills to start trekking cross country. Better to hike ten minutes in the opposite direction than to be lost for hours or days.

Thank you. And I did just edit my location. As you can see I am new at this.

Quote Originally Posted by illabelle View Post
    Zman, there's a sad discussion here on WhiteBlaze about a hiker who died a couple of years ago after getting lost. One of the big lessons is as Rafe said above, always carry maps and a compass. The trail is well blazed, but for those directionally-challenged like yourself, it's irresponsible to rely on the white blazes alone.
    I didn't say that, but probably should have. Always carry a map and compass. I've never had to use the compass, but it could be a lifesaver.

Sometimes I'm amazed that more people aren't seriously lost on the AT. I can tell you I was pretty nervous hiking with my young nephew in Maine years ago. One thing to get lost myself, another to lose my sister's kid.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rafe View Post
    I didn't say that, but probably should have. Always carry a map and compass. I've never had to use the compass, but it could be a lifesaver.

Sometimes I'm amazed that more people aren't seriously lost on the AT. I can tell you I was pretty nervous hiking with my young nephew in Maine years ago. One thing to get lost myself, another to lose my sister's kid.
    Ah, you're right, that was 4shot. Sloppy of me.

We lost a kid on a dayhike a few years ago. Group of 25 on a rugged trail, we had gone down a short side trail to view a waterfall. Autistic 9yo boy decided to follow a group of older kids back to the main trail. They correctly turned left, he turned right. Not until we got to the car did his mother discover he was missing. She was hiking with us, but was absorbed with his two younger siblings and assumed he was with the others. By this time, it was dusk. A group of energetic young adults headed back down the trail and found him crying and scared, and carried him to safety. That was an educational experience.

I thought maybe on my first hike, I would leave at the end of March. I hear there are a lot of hikers starting around this time. I thought I may hike for one week and see how it goes. If I feel comfortable after that. I may try it through hike. I am sure I will be nervous though. I guess I need to learn how to use a compass

Default Study orienteering, not just compass use.

I'd suggest studying orienteering some, not just compass use. This involves paying attention to landmarks and terrain features.
    For the AT most of the guides have the trail elevation profiles. If you were expecting a 2000 ft climb, then why are you heading down hill? Wasn't there a road crossing expected at mile 5 today?? For most of the AT, a simple elevation profile that shows water sources and shelter locations is enough. That is until you make a wrong turn. There was news today about Inchworm, a hiker who died a couple of years ago. Apparently, she got lost going to the bathroom in Maine. She lived for 26 days after getting lost and there was a search for her, but she was not found for years afterwards.

At times like this...a real MAP suddenly becomes important. Will you hit a road if you head south or east? Can you find your location based on visible mountains or water sources?

It's real easy to get turned around when getting water, especially at dusk. (It's pretty common for people to head the wrong way on the trail in the morning also)

The AT blazes are pretty visible, but there are places where they can be hard to follow. For example, on a lot of ridge lines or mountain tops, the blazes are on rocks...imagine...a white blaze on a rock...with 6 inches of snow on the ground...oh yeah the trail is also covered with snow.

By studying orienteering you can reduce the chances of getting lost. A good basic book is the boy scout merit badge on orienteering. Understand that compass work and orienteering are complimentary subjects.

If you haven't hiked in 30 years...get out in the woods now!!!

Quote Originally Posted by illabelle View Post

By the way, you may wish to edit your location to be a little less specific.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/201...?event=event12
    Read that link.

I have seen people so "directionally challenged" they have this problem and looking at a compass if only to check a few steps off the trail East and so the trail is West (explanation: the opposite direction) I have wondered if they also cross the road while texting on their cell phone.

There really are "directionally challenged" people.

There is also the necessity of awareness of your surroundings, that helps a great deal.

Look at things "over your shoulder" by turning and looking to see how it looks from that perspective, so different when going back the other way.

I do that on marked trails, as well. It is a good practice.

There is terrain that is especially difficult for orientation, for some reason, not only thick woods.

Get used to map and compass, as part of the enjoyment of hiking. I like topo maps and a Suunto wrist compass, supplemented by the Suunto Mini Compass in the backpack strap. I used to have a zipper-pull compass card, with the wind chill chart on the other side. Now, I find the supplemental Mini Compass backpack strap compass is my preference.

I do all that for another reason: I look at the hike ahead for a reasonable sudden weather change exit.

The road isn't just "that way" left or right of the trail; there may be a steep raveine with soft sides of loose forest duff that is for all purposes is an unrealistic and dangerous choice. Rescuers find people dead in raveines, referred to as "drains" (reference: drainages). Avoid, as you would avoid a swawp marked on the topo map, as well. Avoid that low ground, and, do not "follow a stream". Often, a stream has so much underbrush on either side it is exhausting making the effort.

For the AT, it is better to find your way to keep to the trail.

The recommended trail guides and maps are excellent.

The GPS trail map for the AT is excellent.

I have excellent orientation and route-finding skills. I am experienced. I have map, compass, and, GPS maps and GPS nevertheless.
    Last edited by Connie; 05-26-2016 at 11:33.

You will be just fine. The only difficult section for navigation is the Whites and only because there are lots of other intersecting trails and changing weather conditions. Perhaps on this section, you may require maps. The chances of getting lost* on the other 2,000 miles is unlikely.

Please also remember that millions of people use the trail every year, so help will never be far away.

*Lost: the real type of lost, never to see civilisation/family1 again. Not to be confused with temporarily misplacing the trail which will happen.

Have a wonderful thru hike.

Mostly well marked, but I would recommend some basic precautions. "should be fine" is likely true, but not the best approach sometimes

A small compass is good. Since most bring their phone, things like guthook app provide a map and you can use the GPS feature in an emergency and leave it off normally.

As a general "hiking skill" that can be applied to any outdoors, do some basic contained hikes where you get lost a bit but there's no risk. Also, knowing the basic idea of which direction the sun is at at various points during the day doesn't take much effort.

And optionally you could figure out how to navigate with the stars (this is more a joke in this context, but I like this type of stuff)
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...GgrGgr0uB0GXyR

I have many friends that could easily manage to get lost on the AT, or almost anywhere it seems

I tend to get temporarily lost the odd time at places like peaks with ski hills or places with a whole bunch of other trails and not many white blazes. Not straying far without seeing a blaze will make sure you're not at any risk and other hikers will help if you run into any issues

Maybe I have bitten off more than I can chew

chew, in tiny bites first..

Is there a county park or state park nearby?

Is there an orienteering course, or, a geocaching group nearby? Those are fun.

There is a four day three night course in Georgia where they will take you on a 13 mile hike one day and teach you about edible a non-edible food, what to do if you get lost, etc. I thought about maybe looking into that first do you think that would help?

Quote Originally Posted by Zman View Post
    Maybe I have bitten off more than I can chew
    No you have not. Its only a state of mind - knowledge gives confidence. Do something about it - now!

If you are serious about the thru hike, then buy the AWOL AT guide. This book is invaluable; elevation, map features, e.g. water sources, road crossings and shelters etc - you can follow these features as you hike.

I second the Guthook apps, and your smartphone will show you exactly where you are in relation to the trail and its features.

I carried a compass (always will) but the difficulty is, that if you are really lost, how do you really know the direction of the trail if backtracking did not work? Bread crumbs are not an option. The trail goes NSEW in the woods which makes navigation very difficult if really lost. The most difficult environment to navigate is woods/ forest and poor weather conditions. Why? Because it is more difficult to see terrain features and if you are carrying a map, relating map to ground and vice versa. I am just being realistic because some people do get really lost, but it is extremely rare.

Suggest an orientation course. This will give you the confidence that you require or affirm that thru hiking 2,187 miles is not for you.

Best if luck either way.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++