WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

I never realized that basic hiking safety was such a politically charged issue.

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Anything printed in the NY Times is worthless garbage, not worthy of reading ... a paper for imbeciles. Authentic journalism left this once great paper at least two decades ago. It's only value at this point is for wrapping fish and lining the bottom of bird cages.

OkeefenokeeJoe

Lets see...water purification - check. Whistle - check. Compass - check. Bear canister -check. Ballistic vest - check. Decoy GOP button - ah, where the...?

Registered Offender

According to these type of articles, and the reader comments following the latest slew of Geraldine Largay news, none of us should be hiking alone. That gem leaves me pondering the validity of the advice, or the experience of those making the comments (or those writing the article). I think those of us here, those of us with a fair amount of experience anyway, would be quick to realize that hiking with others might actually create the potential for increased harm. In Geraldine's case, the reason why this safety article came about, she likely would've survived had she been with someone else, and I suspect one important piece of advice missing is to know yourself and your capabilities.

Quote Originally Posted by OkeefenokeeJoe View Post
    Anything printed in the NY Times is worthless garbage, not worthy of reading ... a paper for imbeciles. Authentic journalism left this once great paper at least two decades ago. It's only value at this point is for wrapping fish and lining the bottom of bird cages.

OkeefenokeeJoe
    I wad it up to start my coals for grillin'

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore View Post
    Problem being, most don't have professional training. So, who's living in the world of fairy dust and unicorns? Granted, to a certain mindset, data and facts may as well be unicorns...so enjoy your paranoia.
    Totally absurd comment, void of fact, based entirely on emotion, and glowing with ignorance.

OkeefenokeeJoe

Registered Offender

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    I wad it up to start my coals for grillin'
    It's equally as good for placing in wet boots after a rainy day's hike; helps 'em dry quicker.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    I never realized that basic hiking safety was such a politically charged issue.
    A common dynamic of internet forums.

Journal Entries
    Images

Trekking poles you carry cause more accidents then concealed firearms. If there is raw data on this you can look it up. But I promise it's true.

Guns are just too darn heavy! I see that last pic of Inchworm and what haunts me is that giant orange whistle. 26 days. Like a half mile from the trail. A one dollar whistle that didn't weigh jack. How come she was journal writing and not firing that whistle all day? Too sad. God rest your soul.

Quote Originally Posted by pilgrimskywheel View Post
    How come she was journal writing and not firing that whistle all day? Too sad.
    I know. So many of us are haunted by this, and the "what would I have done?" question.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Discussion of firearms on a hiking board rarely leads to productive discussion. So here's a photo of a wild horse that was part of a herd I saw this weekend.

(Wild horses will drag you away from this discussion. Thank you!Thank you! Tip the staff! Wokka! Wokka!)

Attachment 35048
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++