WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default A Guide to Safety on the Appalachian Trail - New York Times

New York Times

A Guide to Safety on the Appalachian Trail
    New York Times
    Day hikers on the Neels Gap to Woody Gap section of the Appalachian Trail on Blood Mountain outside Blairsville, Ga. Credit Erik S. Lesser for The New York Times. The wilderness of the 2,190-mile Appalachian Trail can pose many risks to its visitors.
    Hiker who died on Appalachian Trail didn't know how to use compassPress Herald
    Hiker who went missing on Appalachian trail survived 26 days before dyingThe Guardian
    Appalachian Trail: US hiker 'lost for 26 days before dying'BBC News
    The Boston Globe -People Magazine -The Inquisitr
    all 107 news articles »

More...

A very bad article, typical of the New York Times.

I love this:

"If you have a gun, leave it at home

You’re allowed to carry one on parts of the trail, but the park service would rather you didn’t. “The threat of firearms being turned against you or an accidental shooting outweighs the benefit,” the service says. It also doesn’t fit with the culture of the trail."

Stupid advice. I don't go out into the wilderness, especially solo, without appropriate equipment and training, including weapons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by magneto View Post
    A very bad article, typical of the New York Times.

I love this:

“The threat of firearms being turned against you or an accidental shooting outweighs the benefit,” the service says. It also doesn’t fit with the culture of the trail."
    Quotes like these should really be attributed to the individual making them-- I am guessing the writer's editor. As for the first part of the statement, I know of no case where that ever occurred on the AT. Conversely, I can list the names of 5 (possibly 6) thru hikers who were killed by a complete stranger well into their respective thru hikes.

Noting that you are from Boston, I hope you hold a coin from http://www.comm2a.org/

That said, there are certain practicalities that do make carrying on the AT very difficult for any extended trip, and I think the comment about culture is correct, so concealed really does mean concealed there.

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    Quotes like these should really be attributed to the individual making them-- I am guessing the writer's editor.
    Nope - the article's author was quoting the guy from the NPS. [Now back to what will no doubt a thread of hundreds of posts from pro-gun people, anti-gun people, conspiracy theorists, amateur statisticians, would-be constitutional scholars (most not having actually read it) and Real Amuricans (R)]...

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore View Post
    Nope - the article's author was quoting the guy from the NPS. [Now back to what will no doubt a thread of hundreds of posts from pro-gun people, anti-gun people, conspiracy theorists, amateur statisticians, would-be constitutional scholars (most not having actually read it) and Real Amuricans (R)]...
    All that will come. Most people go through life unable to take care of themselves and their families. They take that mindset with them out into the woods, where bad things happen to them because of it.

These blessed souls will now chine in, saying that you don't need to be armed, you don't need a map, compass or any skill to hike the AT, and if you have a problem, just call 911 on your iPhone.

All that will come. Most people go through life unable to take care of themselves and their families. They take that mindset with them out into the woods, where bad things happen to them because of it.

These blessed souls will now chine in, saying that you don't need to be armed, you don't need a map, compass or any skill to hike the AT, and if you have a problem, just call 911 on your iPhone.

The map and compass are a good idea for any hiking trail. The real world data and a quick relative risk analysis would seem to indicate that you don't need to be armed on the AT. But some people think that the world is out to get them and choose to lead fearful lives or are living some type of dystopian existence where they need to be armed like Dirty Harry. You can look at the stats of how well (or not) self-defense shootings go, but its a nice day for a hike so I'm heading out with a map, compass, permethrin, (and iPhone).

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore View Post
    The map and compass are a good idea for any hiking trail. The real world data and a quick relative risk analysis would seem to indicate that you don't need to be armed on the AT. But some people think that the world is out to get them and choose to lead fearful lives or are living some type of dystopian existence where they need to be armed like Dirty Harry. You can look at the stats of how well (or not) self-defense shootings go, but its a nice day for a hike so I'm heading out with a map, compass, permethrin, (and iPhone).
    Well - I've looked at the risks and I choose to be armed, and not just on the trail, and not just with firearms. I had a run-in with some unsavory characters, who did not have my best interest at heart, as I was coming out of a river at a road crossing in the Hundred Mile Wilderness. There was no one around but me and them.

You are much better off armed than not, if you have good, professional training in how to use your tools, and good situational awareness. We live in a world where bad people will try to hurt us, because they think they can. You can live in a fantasy world of unicorns, fairy dust and pretty flowers, but a quick check out the window shows clearly that reality is otherwise.

Conservatives fear change? You don't say? Next there will be an article stating the Sky is blue and water is wet, captain obvious.

The fruits, nuts, flakes and dope-smoking, disarmed hippies are coming!

3, 2, 1....

I've no issue if people are frightened to the point they feel more comfortable armed on trails. However, if one wants to carry, do so quietly. I get more than a little nervous when firearms are brandished around campfires and otherwise carelessly handled that, to me anyway, represents more of a danger than whatever formidable foe the owner is seeking to defend against. Not saying anyone here does that, just saying its done and really should be discouraged whenever its witnessed.

That's the whole point of "concealed." I don't camp at campsites - I camp in the woods, away from people. Another reason I do so armed, I am alone and responsible for my own well being.

Well - I've looked at the risks and I choose to be armed, and not just on the trail, and not just with firearms. I had a run-in with some unsavory characters, who did not have my best interest at heart, as I was coming out of a river at a road crossing in the Hundred Mile Wilderness. There was no one around but me and them.

You are much better off armed than not, if you have good, professional training in how to use your tools, and good situational awareness. We live in a world where bad people will try to hurt us, because they think they can. You can live in a fantasy world of unicorns, fairy dust and pretty flowers, but a quick check out the window shows clearly that reality is otherwise.

Problem being, most don't have professional training. So, who's living in the world of fairy dust and unicorns? Granted, to a certain mindset, data and facts may as well be unicorns...so enjoy your paranoia.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

..........f
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Um. I find that telling everyone your plans is a fairly poor choice in so far as operational security is concerned. Course, I'm a smoking hippie and not scared - I have a huge nucleus accumbens!

I'm a man; that means I am self-sufficient; I take care of myself and my family, wherever we happen to be. I exercise my liberties within the scope of the law.

The fact is that this debate is not about guns or self defense, it's about taking responsibility for yourself,and leaving others alone to do the same.

Making everyone into disarmed, subservient, compliant sheep might be good for the government , but it is the death of our Republic.

There were some things in that article that I see discussed widely in the WhiteBlaze forums - like norovirus, and using compasses. My daughter, who has section hiked large parts of the trail (along with me, and my son who thru'ed last year) sent me a link to it, and said that it was a 'breath of fresh air compared to movies like Wild' - more realism.

Wow! So it's true, liberals do have pea brains. Seriously though, a strong fight or flight response has kept our spiecies alive for a few thousand years, I can't imagine...(I take that back) I can only imagine what our numbers would be if we all had pea sized amigdalas when facing down dinosaurs..."it's cool mister T-Rex, eat me if you must, I'll come back as a flower in your manure"

...and yes I'm aware of the disparity between the Paleozoic, Devonian and the present, just trying to make a point.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++