WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Hammock Use

Default Hammock Use

This may have already been asked and I didn't know where to look, but here goes. I am new to hammock hanging, so what do you put under you sleeping bag in a hammock?

If you have a pad, you can start with that. Many regular hammock campers use an underquilt, which hangs under your hammock on the outside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images

Tons of information on hammocking at hammockforums.net
    Remote for detachment, narrow for chosen company, winding for leisure, lonely for contemplation, the Trail beckons not merely north and south, but upward to the body, mind, and soul of man.

I started with a windshield sun screen.

I am considering a 3/4 underquilt (I am 5'6") I can position "just right" and a closed cell foam foot pad I would also use as a seat pad for on the ground.

The underquilt may also be used to supplement the top quilt "rating" for ground sleeping, with sufficient sleeping pad underneath.

In my opinion, this is a practical system for any hike I have.
    Last edited by Connie; 05-27-2016 at 13:25.

Interesting history of the evolution of hammock camping can be found at Jacksrbetter web site. http://www.jacksrbetter.com/our-story/

Their story is certainly worth reading.

My 2 sons and I did the Fontana to NOC section 1st week of may. The last night was in the 30's with light snow. We had Thermarest Trekker pads in our Warbonnet hammocks with Jacks top quilts rated into 20s. It was fine as long as you stayed on your pad, but that was very difficult... no... impossible. It was a cold night for us.

Springer to Elk Park, NC/Andover to Katahdin
    Images

http://www.tothewoods.net/JeffsHikingPage.html

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I am not young enough to know everything.

Personally, I use a Big Agnes insulated sleeping pad with a DIY segmented pad extender (SPE). I like the firmness for back support; it's cheaper than having an underquilt for hammock camping and pad for tent camping; and I can go to the ground if necessary. But this is all personal preference.

Michael

i really like the idea of hammock sleeping just so i am not dealing with the cold ground that permeates through my tent and pad. Am I right? Never slept more then a few hours on an hammock, wondering how it acts on your back ?

Hammockforums.net is a must-visit. Hours of reading to do.

The only way to know if hammocking is for you is to try it out. Backyard. Short trips out of which you can bail if necessary. As for me, any time I hike more than a few days and hammock it, various neck and back pains I have go away. YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by sunnyside71 View Post
    i really like the idea of hammock sleeping just so i am not dealing with the cold ground that permeates through my tent and pad. Am I right? Never slept more then a few hours on an hammock, wondering how it acts on your back ?

Quote Originally Posted by Rowdy Yates View Post
    This may have already been asked and I didn't know where to look, but here goes. I am new to hammock hanging, so what do you put under you sleeping bag in a hammock?
    I've been sleeping in a hammock for about 6 years. I use a blue pad, and sometimes a half of a reflective windscreen between my bag and hammock if under 60-70 degrees. Above 70, just a light bag. Above 80, a sheet.
    Time is but the stream I go afishin' in.
    Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by sunnyside71 View Post
    I've found it to be better on my back than the ground. Your results may vary.
    Time is but the stream I go afishin' in.
    Thoreau

Images

Quote Originally Posted by perdidochas View Post
    I've found it to be better on my back than the ground. Your results may vary.
    Iīve been hammock camping for years, first in a Hennessy now in a ENO double nest. The problem of getting cold back syndrome can be solved in several ways. Putting a pad in your hammock and lying on it in your sleeping bag is sort of helpful at first, but later in the night the pad will slip out from under and wind up on top of you.
    I use a Big Agnes sleeping bag that has a sewn in sleeve that fits the 20x72 insulated air core air mattress that I use. That is definitely a good option.
    Another option is the aforementioned under quilt. I used one when I was early spring camping with the Hennessy and found it to be a good option.
    Another option is to buy a hammock that has a sewn in sleeve for an air mattress. Two that I know of are the Warbonnet Black Bird double layer, and the ENO Reactor. The sleeve size fits a 25x72 closed cell foam mattress or air mattress which gives you a better coverage of shoulders and hips.
    I donīt prefer the closed cell foam because I tend to sleep hot and wake up with condensation because the CCF doesnīt breath, but thatīs just me, others mileage may vary.
    I agree wholeheartedly with the quoted statement above. I love hammock camping because I sleep like a baby. I enjoy tent camping, too, just not as much.

I finally have my system dialed in. UnderQuilt is the way to go. I prefer the full length HG Incubator. I kick my feet too much for a partial length. I have the 20 degree in the picture and have a zero degree version for below freezing.

It snugs under you perfectly and you can toss and turn and the down under you just stays put. It cradles you along the sides and really is the best insulation in a hammock to have under you.

My only issue with hammock camping is where to put my stuff. A tent is nice to put stuff in and have it not get dew etc on it. I found this past weekend I still had some dampness on things that even were under my tarp.

That said, I'm at the sleeping pad stage at the moment. Can't wait for an under quilt, though.

Quote Originally Posted by jpolk84 View Post
    My only issue with hammock camping is where to put my stuff. A tent is nice to put stuff in and have it not get dew etc on it. I found this past weekend I still had some dampness on things that even were under my tarp.

That said, I'm at the sleeping pad stage at the moment. Can't wait for an under quilt, though.
    I use a toggle to hang my pack in my suspension continuous loop under the tarp just next to to the gathered end of my hammock. Works ok. Avoids morning dew.
    I tie my laces together and hang my shoes over the other end. Dry and fresh by the morning. Other stuff hangs from my ridge line "in" the hammock.
    If its definitely going to pour rain overnight, I throw an extra white trash bag in to store my pack in on the ground.
    Lots more advice over on hammockforums.net. That's where I gleaned most of what I use/know.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think the fog that rolled in that night just hung thick in the air and got everything just a little damp. Like I said, even stuff under my tarp was tacky.

I'm waiting for reviews on http://www.flyingtent.com/en/oxid/ looks interesting.

Sent from my P01MA using Tapatalk

++ New Posts ++