WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default What to do when stepping off trail for potty break?

In view of the tragic news this week of Inchworms ordeal, I'm curious as to what you do when you step off the trail for a potty break! Do you leave your pack on the trail or take it with you? It's always been my habit to keep my pack with me at all times, but I can see the advantage of leaving it on the trail. That way if you are unfortunate enough to lose your way as poor Inchworm did at least SAR would have a good idea where to start their search.
    On the other hand having your pack in your possession provides you with much needed food, shelter and emergency equipment!
    Which way is best? Or perhaps there are better alternatives that I haven't considered!

Journal Entries
    Images

There is no way I'd leave my pack on the trail. I carry a phone that has GPS on it. When I hike the AT I will be carrying maps and a lensatic compass. I know how to shoot back azimuths from two or more known points to pinpoint my location. It isn't difficult to do. As tragic as Inchworm's demise was, I'm not afraid to leave the trail to answer nature's call. It'd be easier to carry a colorful streamer or something to mark the point where you left the trail instead of leaving your pack.

Journal Entries

Never leave your pack, its your whole life.
    In a split second a bear can run off with it.

Your only going 30 ft behind a bush or tree, and can see trail. Really nothing to be concerned about.

As you will discover, some people go 0 ft.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 05-28-2016 at 20:05.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Completely agree with the above.

If you are concerned about stepping off trail, get in the habit of counting your steps. If you know that you walmed 50 steps off trail in a straight line, the you know that you have to turn around and walk 50 steps back. That way if you walk the 50 step return trip and you're not back on trail the you know almost imediately that you need to stop and reassess.
    I also tend to step off trail near some sort of landmark if I am planning to walk more than a few l feet away. It doesn't need to be much, but if there is a boulder or a creek next to the trail, I know that if I step off and keep sight of it the I know where I need to return.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

One related tip, always remember "right in right out" and "left in left out" as a way to keep track of which direction you were headed on the trail. For example if you step off trail by making a right turn, when you retirn to the trail turn right again and you will be headed in the same direction as you were before.

Quote Originally Posted by nu2hike View Post
    In view of the tragic news this week of Inchworms ordeal, I'm curious as to what you do when you step off the trail for a potty break! Do you leave your pack on the trail or take it with you? It's always been my habit to keep my pack with me at all times, but I can see the advantage of leaving it on the trail. That way if you are unfortunate enough to lose your way as poor Inchworm did at least SAR would have a good idea where to start their search.
    On the other hand having your pack in your possession provides you with much needed food, shelter and emergency equipment!
    Which way is best? Or perhaps there are better alternatives that I haven't considered!
    i go about 30 feet in the pucker and do my bidness, pack and all. it ain't rocket science. jeeez

GA-ME 2011
    Images

I'll bet that there are very few who have hiked any great distance on the AT that hasn't gone off the trail to do their business (AKA Brown Blazing) and returned to the trail at a different point than expected. I know I have.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    This actually happened to I hiker I met in NJ.
    Always take your pack.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Don H View Post
    I'll bet that there are very few who have hiked any great distance on the AT that hasn't gone off the trail to do their business (AKA Brown Blazing) and returned to the trail at a different point than expected. I know I have.
    for cripes sake, how far off you goin'? this really is a stupid thread

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    for cripes sake, how far off you goin'? this really is a stupid thread
    Well since numerous areas have regulations/offical advice to walk 100-200 feet off trail to camp or take a dump, I'd say we're talking at least 100-200 feet.

Paying attention to where you are and where you came from will solve 99% of the problems. Look back occasionally to see what it will look like on the way back. Ive seen TP 30 feet from the trail and think thats gross.

Lone Wolf to you this may be a stupid thread but not to me! A woman became lost and ultimately died as a result of making a simple mistake such as this. If you find it stupid then please refrain from posting. That is an option you know!
    Otherwise I agree I would never leave my pack, but I read one post (FB) where it was suggested that you should do just that. I also take a good look at my surroundings to find an easily recognizable landmark to guide my return.
    Thanks to the others who have posted good advice and suggestions! My reason for posting this was in hope that we may learn something from Inchworms mistakes.

I may leave my pack on the trail, or at my camp site, but I don't walk so far I'd miss seeing any bear or 2 footed creature that walked up to it.

As it turns out - common sense isn't common. I have lost my pack a couple times and a campsite or two, three really. Being an idiot was a factor in each case. Chemicals may have played a small bit part too. Can't remember. On the other hand I kept a cool head and found em again. If you don't make it a big deal, it wont be. However, don't count on angels coming to the rescue. Establish a system and stick to it and, keep your s--- together. Once you get out there you'll realize predators are not lurking behind every twig and no one wants to see you do your business so don't be too shy. We all s--- in the woods. Please bury it! Thank you Lone Wolf. This thread stinks.

This thread is getting crapped on a bit, but it's a legitimate question with simple answers.

Just take a very simple route to do your business. You can point toward the trail with your hiking pole if it helps re-orient

You can't get lost 100 ft from the trail if you do that.

Do not go 100 ft away from a section that winds all over the place and is confusing! If it's simple terrain, you won't get lost.

If I was a bear and saw you leaving your pack behind while you walk off trail a hundred yards...Scooby doo!

Maybe it would pay to only leave the trail on a straightaway. That way even if you vector off course a little on the way back, you will still hit the trail. I like to point my hiking poles towards the direction I am going when I leave the trail. I do like the right off right on rule. I have not heard that one before. I guess ultimately, I like to time my nature to be near a privy, however, that only works around 80% of the time.
    Whether you think you can, or think you can't--you're right--Henry Ford; The Journey Is The Destination

Journal Entries
    Images

Yogi it is a picnic basket!

If one goes west to squat, then go east and find a trail. This is why you carry a compass. Works well in reverse.

Walk in a straight line to your potty area, draw an arrow pointing in the direction you came in the dirt. Do your business, then when you're heading back wipe the arrow away from the dirt.

So bring a compass

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++