WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Hiker boxes

Default Hiker boxes

So I'm really low on cash, like I have 200 dollars to my name, 8 days worth off food. I have plans to have family send me packages but in the mean time, is there ever any food in hiker boxes ? Not trying to be a grom but when I'm completely out ?

Sent from my HTCD200LVW using Tapatalk

Sounds like the current $$ for a thru is about $4K minimum. I'm guessing a lot of folks will say you won't last a week. If you can't find what you really need in the hiker box what are you gonna do?? Starvation is not a pretty sight.

I've heard stories of people leaving with less then 500 and making it. That's all part of the journey right ?

Images

When your out of cash and food the vacation is pretty much in it's death throws.

I'd say it's best to wait until you're an adult and your decision-making ability has matured and (hopefully) improved.

OkeefenokeeJoe

leaving with less than $500 and making it is not part of the journey, it's being a mobile beggar. Unless you take years and stop to work to make a living along the way...
    I do have sympathy with people that run near the end, but not whose entire plan is to raid hiker boxes if their packages don't line up.

there are a few hiker boxes I've seen that could give you some solid supply, whereas others it's mostly junk, a few terrible looking food items, and weird non-edible supplies that people took along. so if you count on this, you might be seriously disappointed

Hopefully you realize that things like your shoes are not going to last 2200 miles.

Images

Im not saying don't go for it. I love a good adventure. And we all know the best adventures happen when a perfect plan goes horribly off the tracks.

Journal Entries
    Images

I don't think that you could sustain you hike very long relying on food left in "hiker boxes." Most of the stuff left by other hikers is just crap that they don't want.
    Grampie-N->2001

During peak season there is food in hiker boxes. I'm not really sure how much you'll find since you're starting past the end of peak season. Sometimes the hiker boxes are good pickings and other times they a bunch of half empty items that some other hiker has already laid hands on.

You don't sound interested in listening to the advice about your budget so I won't belabor the point, but it suffices to say that $200 is about half of what I spent just on replacing shoes.

Journal Entries
    Images

I wonder how many people have attached themselves as an indentured servant to someone else who wants to hike the trail. Is that even possible? I would bet that a lot of retirees who would love to thru-hike, don't do so because they can't convince anyone to go with them. All other things considered, what would be the appropriateness of offering companion hiker services to such a person, on the only condition that they buy the food. Stranger arrangements have been made. The "indentured" person's role could be to not abandon their companion. Maybe that person has to make and break camp every day in return for the food. Obviously this could go awry if their personalities wound up being incompatible, and that could easily end the hike...but what do y'alls think of that sort of arrangement? It sounds a bit parasitic on the face of it, but if there was a fair exchange of goods and services, maybe not so much.

Set aside enough money for a bus ticket home, or have someone willing to buy you one before you go. Then just hike and see how far you get. 8 days of food and $200 ought to get you a couple of hundred miles...add 3 or 4 days for every maildrop you get. With the odd hiker box score you could probably make it to Damascus if you are frugal.

To me, a hiker box isn't something you should rely on for the sole purpose of getting your meal. Most I've run into have little to nothing edible in them (other than snacks and Ramen). If you're raiding boxes, you're taking away from others that may need something as well. Plan the trip, it doesn't have to cost thousands but you're either going to end up sick from eating left over junk for so long, or stuck in some town begging for food with no way to return home.
    - Trail name: Thumper

Journal Entries

During busy times, places where people mail resupplies can be literally overflowing with food, most mail themselves more than they want to carry.

After that, it diminishes quickly to stuff no one wants. Employees and passers thru raid them and take whatever is good. Afterall, this is discarded stuff, not free stuff for hikers. Its one step from the garbage can.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 05-29-2016 at 10:32.

Quote Originally Posted by ski_walker View Post
    I've heard stories of people leaving with less then 500 and making it. That's all part of the journey right ?

not really
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Images

There will be lots of times your friends will go into town and you'll not be able to. Hiker boxes are usually found at hostels and other hiker establishments which are places you won't be able to go if you can't pay. It's frowned upon to walk into a hostel you are not staying at for the simple purpose of rifling through their box. So to plan to raid hiker boxes as a means of supporting your hike is a bad idea. Most likely you'll end up standing around waiting for someone to feel sorry for you and to take care of you. Some would call that freeloading.
    Follow your bliss......
    Joseph Campbell
    http://www.trailjournals.com/rockie/

Quote Originally Posted by ski_walker View Post
    One in 10000 can pull that off, and judging by your recent queries, I suspect you're not that one.

Man get out of here with your negative vibes

Images

That's not negative----that's truth........

learn the difference.......

I did not see any free food at shelters only gear. Did c food at hostel . Sometimes u can work at the hostel for food,lodging cash

good luck

-

OK - you want a real plan to do the trail starting with 200 and some vague possibility of being sent food (but no mention of money)

plan on it taking about a year and working along the way - since you are starting in the south, flip at some point

this forum could be a good resource for getting work, but you are quickly burning your credibility/ good will here - so far you are just one of many looking for handouts for your vacation - change your tone/ attitude and you just may make it

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++