WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Stuff sack size recommendations

I know some people do not choose to use stuff-sacks but we are looking at using a lightweight dry stuff sack for our clothing, down jacket and electronics as a way to help us stay organized and keep certain items drier. I have been looking at the Sea-to-Summit lightweight dry sacks and was curious about what sizes people use for their various items. We are looking at starting March 1 so we will have winter gear which takes up some more space.

I have 20-liter and smaller, but I have UL gear.

I would say, avoid over-compressing down.

I use a loose-fitting lightweight plastic bag for my sleeping quilt, stuffing it in the bottem of my backpack.

I used to organize my clothing and gear for the campsite, by three long stuff sacks arranged vertically bottem to top of my rucksack, so I could pull out one stuff sack easily. I might go back to that. Then, later, I started having one Sea to Summit rolltop in the middle and smaller things around it, at the sides. My jacket and/or poncho loose on top.

In fact, I used to have a red stuff sack made for my stove and cooking pots perfectly. It is no longer red, but I have a fitted stuff sack so not soot or odor gets on my pack or my gear, if I can help it.

Images

I don't know the capacity in litres, but the Medium Plus roll top drybag from Zpacks works for me for a clothing bag, and it would hold any of my 3-season sleeping bags if I wanted it to. It fits nicely sideways in my Zpacks pack. For carrying small items I'd get their small rolltop bag if it had to be waterproof.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

thanks guys for the great replies

I needed to buy a compression sack for my sleeping bag for an upcoming trip. I took the original stuff sack to the store. I figure the bag will fit and then obviously, in my case, I can compress it. I would use a similar tactic for other stuff sacks if I planned on using them. Gather the gear together and bring it to the store (REI is great for this) and check out the various sized sacks. You may want to check in with an employee first so they understand what you are doing and don't think you are trying to steal anything. I used a similar approach when buying a backpack. I brought in a bunch of my gear but also used some of what was in the store to load up a backpack and make sure I had the space I needed. You could also use quart and gallon sized plastic bags. 1 QT is about a liter, stuff sacks are measured in liters. Even if you need your electronics in 2 QT bags you then know you need something thats at least 2L in size, etc.
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

I used (and still do) the 3 Coleman pack sacks from Walmart. The little red one for emergency/meds/cleaning supplies, the green for all my cooking gear, and the black for my bag (fits perfectly). Then I bought another size up (not sure the size but it was hanging right next to it in the store), for my clothes bag. Maybe not for others but this setup works great for me. Of course everything is in a compactor bag in my pack as well.
    - Trail name: Thumper

Oh... and a gallon zip lock freezer bag for all my phone, charger, and wallet items.
    - Trail name: Thumper

I use 10l for clothes (much room to spare in the summer), 20 for food (again, usually a lot of room to spare if I don't have multiple days of food), and I have a small one for misc items (3l or something)
    I have also used a zip lock in place of the 3l when I didn't have that

I'm also looking to incorporate this system. Anything can happen and even with a rain cover for the pack, it still makes sense. The organization will be nice as well.

thanks all for some great tips

Trash compactor bag for down gear, grocery store bags for clothing. I do carry a small stuff sack for water treatment.

Trash compactor for all must be dry cloths..gallon ziplock freezer bag with meds, battery back up, hygiene etc all inside in seperate quart ziplock freezer bags..zip lock goes in mesh outside pocket on pack...never had wet gear.....easy access as it's clear..see what you need without opening...phone is in lifeproof case in pack hip pocket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journal Entries

Whats wrong with a plastic bag?

Or are you REI brainwashed?

The only time I want a sealed-bag like Sea-to-Summit sells is if there is any chance of full immersion: stream crossing maybe, river crossing definitely.

Steady rain, high humidity, maybe so.

I am currently using a 13L ,18L, and 2.5 L Dry sacs for my stuff.

Osprey roll-top ultralight dry sacks. I have a 12L for my down sleeping bag and a 6L for my dry set of clothes (socks, underwear, puff jacket).

If I'm carrying a Kindle, it goes in a waterproof sleeve. Electronics are either waterproof themselves or can go in small zip-lock bags.

Pretty much everything else in my pack is either waterproof, quick-dry, or can get wet without damaging it.

++ New Posts ++