Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Images

Default Unprepared hikers

This was a recent post about some of the nonsense going on with "SoBo" PCTers. First, I have no idea what would possess someone to think starting a PCT SoBo in May is a sound plan especially when there is clear a lack of experience. (regardless on whether it is from the border or further south.) Second, the overreliance on technology coupled with advice that "an app is all you need" will end up getting someone killed, hopefully not an SAR Team member. There have been many that have given advice based on several years of abnormally low snow. This has caused people to push the hiking window way outside what is normal with May SoBo and quite a few May Sierra entries which was more of an anomaly ten years ago. Keep in mind that every year is different and what works one year could be a major issue the next.

image.jpeg
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Most thru-hikers, at least in 2016, have a very limited outdoor skill set. The biggest set of skills they have is following a marked trail and using a smart phone. Or so it seems.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

CDT - 2013, PCT - 2009, AT - 1300 miles done burger's Avatar

Two thoughts:

- I am increasingly convinced that the apps that most hikers use now for hiking are the biggest part of the problem. Back in the day, there were no apps, so everyone had Yogi's handbook and/or the Wilderness Press guides. Those books made it very clear that there can be dangerous conditions along the trail, especially if you are inexperienced or hiking out of season. When I hiked in '09, just about everyone had Yogi's books. She and her contributors spent so much time talking about the dangers on the trail, that "we're all going to die" became a running joke among thru-hikers. But we also appreciated what we were heading into--carried ice axes for the Sierra, carried enough water in the desert, etc. Judging from the questions about the PCT I see now from aspiring thru-hikers, there is a stunning lack of appreciation for the real (though surmountable) dangers you can face on the trail.

- It's on the PCTA to do a better job of informing people about the dangers of early-season hiking in the North Cascades or the Sierra plus the dangers of desert hiking. If these folks are getting permits from PCTA, then they should also be getting some sort information about appropriate seasons for hiking, equipment to bring, etc. You could put all of the relevant information on a single sheet of paper, with the word "DANGER" in 48-point bold across the top to make sure people read it. It looks like the PCTA website has some good information, but I doubt many people read it.

Journal Entries

Charge for rescue when negligent

Define negligent as depending on a phone app. Lack of skills, insufficient gear for conditions, etc
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 05-31-2016 at 13:35.

When registering, thru-hikers should have to demonstrate that they have appropriate basic navigational equipment/maps and know how to use them (different requirements, depending on the trail for sure)

When I hiked the short west coast trail (canada) they make you go to an info session on tides, cougars, bears, etc. When I hike in gros morne national park in newfoundland (some is off trail), you MUST demonstrate proper orienteering.

These are both more difficult for navigation than the AT, but there should at least be some basic requirement to make sure their only prep wasn't mailing out AWOL loose leaf around the country or downloading an app

Free for all of people that watch movies and show up costs a lot of money in the long run. More so on the PCT than the AT I'm sure

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    Most thru-hikers, at least in 2016, have a very limited outdoor skill set. The biggest set of skills they have is following a marked trail and using a smart phone. Or so it seems.

^^^^^.....

You can't legislate common sense .

Registered Offender

And they give those of us here, who've never been unprepared at anything, something to talk about.

Quote Originally Posted by Uriah View Post
    And they give those of us here, who've never been unprepared at anything, something to talk about.
    I've been unprepared for homework or a test in highschool.

I've been unprepared for a meeting at work.

I've been unprepared for unexpected dinner guests.

If there is safety involved? I make sure I have the skills, knowledge and competence to perform the task and adapt as necessary within my skills levels.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Thats a very very judgmental statement. Or so it seems.

Most thru-hikers, at least in 2016, have a very limited outdoor skill set.
    I've been a spring section hiker on the southern AT for the past 10 years. Even then, one night in the woods more than a mile from a road was an above average experience level for hikers starting at Springer.

It is judgemental, but also probably very accurate.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Quote Originally Posted by Cheyou View Post
    Thats a very very judgmental statement. Or so it seems.

Nothing seemingly about it. It was indeed opinionated, judgmental, harsh, ***holish, scathing and so on.. Pick an adjective. And a very accurate opinion for those whose outdoor experience is only thru-hiking on the well marked and maintained trails with a large infrastructure to support it.
    Last edited by Mags; 05-31-2016 at 19:31.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti

Journal Entries

Most people are simply stupid.
    Especially the millenials
    And more and more of them are showing up to hike all trails due to facebook.

There a book out there "The dumbest generation: how the digital age stupefies young americans and jeopardizes our future"

Worth reading
    I encounter this all the time
    Young people that cant do a simple thing worth a f#$k.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by burger View Post
    Two thoughts:

- I am increasingly convinced that the apps that most hikers use now for hiking are the biggest part of the problem. Back in the day, there were no apps, so everyone had Yogi's handbook and/or the Wilderness Press guides. Those books made it very clear that there can be dangerous conditions along the trail, especially if you are inexperienced or hiking out of season. When I hiked in '09, just about everyone had Yogi's books. She and her contributors spent so much time talking about the dangers on the trail, that "we're all going to die" became a running joke among thru-hikers. But we also appreciated what we were heading into--carried ice axes for the Sierra, carried enough water in the desert, etc. Judging from the questions about the PCT I see now from aspiring thru-hikers, there is a stunning lack of appreciation for the real (though surmountable) dangers you can face on the trail.

- It's on the PCTA to do a better job of informing people about the dangers of early-season hiking in the North Cascades or the Sierra plus the dangers of desert hiking. If these folks are getting permits from PCTA, then they should also be getting some sort information about appropriate seasons for hiking, equipment to bring, etc. You could put all of the relevant information on a single sheet of paper, with the word "DANGER" in 48-point bold across the top to make sure people read it. It looks like the PCTA website has some good information, but I doubt many people read it.
    Guthook likely has the most popular app. He is a class act and I was wondering if he had reservations about how his app is being misused. Www.guthookhikes.com

image.jpeg

My only issue with his post..... Not only carry maps but know how to use them (and a compass.)

Mags, judgemental, maybe. Accurate, absolutely.
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

Registered Offender

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Most people are simply stupid.
    As Shaman Gump said, "Stupid is as stupid does." But to what degree does it matter? When it affects others? When SAR is involved? When tax payers are required to help pay the burden?

Stupid here on this forum can be as simple as the (widespread) terrible grammar, which is obviously--yet sadly--deemed acceptable if we're to be a part of this or any other online community. (Though it leaves me questioning the school systems, in particular the US's.) Or it can be as complex as uneducated opinion, which there is also no shortage of.

I'm merely a spectator, with no emotional attachment to nearly everything that goes on outside myself and my immediate circle. When a hiker wanders off the trail and can't find her way back, I ponder it, but not much. Even when it costs taxpayers, it is nothing to which I'm entitled a scathing opinion. I simply try to learn something from it, which is damn near impossible when I wasn't there. Usually though, I just smirk and laugh, even when the end result is fatal (since death is something none of us can avoid).

I can't help but think of Mr. Russell's quote: "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts."

Jeepers, what is this backlash against young people. Everyone until this generation grew up focused, dedicated, intelligent, and determined......pleeeeeze.

Apparently baby boomers are living too long and have gotten bored or having trouble sleeping and missing their naps.

I have 3 millennials, all have BS degrees, 2 are working on PHD's, 1 on a MBA and they are a whisper away from 6 figure incomes in their mid twenties. Each is responsible, gives back through community service along with their normal activities. The fact that they utilize digital devices to get information and knowledge makes them stupid???? Google that

Seems to me there are more old people getting lost in the woods needing rescued.

BTW, I'm 62.

Quote Originally Posted by Hosh View Post
    Jeepers, what is this backlash against young people. Everyone until this generation grew up focused, dedicated, intelligent, and determined......pleeeeeze.

Apparently baby boomers are living too long and have gotten bored or having trouble sleeping and missing their naps.

I have 3 millennials, all have BS degrees, 2 are working on PHD's, 1 on a MBA and they are a whisper away from 6 figure incomes in their mid twenties. Each is responsible, gives back through community service along with their normal activities. The fact that they utilize digital devices to get information and knowledge makes them stupid???? Google that

Seems to me there are more old people getting lost in the woods needing rescued.

BTW, I'm 62.
    You should be a grandfather to millennials, old timer.

Nothing to do with age. Let us not beat that old horse yet again.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti

I'm the parent of a millennial headed down a similar path to Tosh's offspring, and the co-worker of a half-dozen or so.

I respect their abilities, and am optimistic about being able to fill their heads with enough information in the next few years to allow me to chase my dream of becoming hiker trash with an American Express card.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++