Default Opinions on this sleeping bag

I'm thinking of purchasing the Sierra Designs Eleanor hi-19 dridown bag for a thru hike attempt -- has anybody used it/do any of y'all have any thoughts?

2 lbs 15 oz is just about 3 lbs and is more than my Sierra Designs 300 "Perfect" which has been the heaviest sleeping bag I have carried for mountaineering. The bulk of the sleeping bag in the backpack is another consideration. I used a 50 liter Lowe Alpine Attack pack or my compressed hard to be added on my Kelty Tioga frame pack. All that was for mountainclimbing.

I think it is too much unless it is for a cold weather section hike, and you still need to insulate it from the ground. This means a ground pad, or, a ground pad layered with closed cell foam and all that on a ground sheet.

Because you are going to compress the down insulation under you, while sleeping, why not carry a down sleeping quilt that will move and fluff around you so you have no drafts, with insulation from the ground provided by the sleeping pad?

For example, I have a 20 F top quilt and a NeoAir XTherm air mattress on a closed cell foam sheet on a polycryo ground sheet. This packs up using less volume in or on the backpack. I put it all inside a bivy, under a tarp or inside a tent.

My answer: that sleeping bag appears to be too much to carry, except for the coldest sections, and then you have to consider the ground pad(s) and ground sheet.

The sleeping quilt, I have, allows me to use it for three-seasons by the option of having my legs or feet uncovered.

My Hammock Gear Burrow 20 was at a good price, and other brand "top quilts" are a good value as well.

No matter what you choose, I suggest "backyard camping" or camping out near your car with a min-max thermometer can provide your "comfort zone".

Eat well, drink water, adjust your sleepwear clothing.

I could have asked your experience, however my answer is a generic answer, not too generic.

Quote Originally Posted by Connie View Post
    2 lbs 15 oz is just about 3 lbs and is more than my Sierra Designs 300 "Perfect" which has been the heaviest sleeping bag I have carried for mountaineering. The bulk of the sleeping bag in the backpack is another consideration. I used a 50 liter Lowe Alpine Attack pack or my compressed hard to be added on my Kelty Tioga frame pack. All that was for mountainclimbing.

I think it is too much unless it is for a cold weather section hike, and you still need to insulate it from the ground. This means a ground pad, or, a ground pad layered with closed cell foam and all that on a ground sheet.

Because you are going to compress the down insulation under you, while sleeping, why not carry a down sleeping quilt that will move and fluff around you so you have no drafts, with insulation from the ground provided by the sleeping pad?

For example, I have a 20 F top quilt and a NeoAir XTherm air mattress on a closed cell foam sheet on a polycryo ground sheet. This packs up using less volume in or on the backpack. I put it all inside a bivy, under a tarp or inside a tent.

My answer: that sleeping bag appears to be too much to carry, except for the coldest sections, and then you have to consider the ground pad(s) and ground sheet.

The sleeping quilt, I have, allows me to use it for three-seasons by the option of having my legs or feet uncovered.

My Hammock Gear Burrow 20 was at a good price, and other brand "top quilts" are a good value as well.

No matter what you choose, I suggest "backyard camping" or camping out near your car with a min-max thermometer can provide your "comfort zone".

Eat well, drink water, adjust your sleepwear clothing.

I could have asked your experience, however my answer is a generic answer, not too generic.
    My dilemma is that I am ALWAYS cold. I'd rather err on the side of caution that way. I like the idea of the dri down -- especially since the AT is rather wet. Do you have any recommendations for a sleeping quilt? I hadn't really considered one but I'm hiking with my dog so that might allow me to snuggle up with him and get some heat (for both of us) that way, as well as just being more useful for other camping trips with my boyfriend. What other gear would that require along with it (i've never used one before)?

also, I'll be in a tent

just looked online a bit and realized I'm totally off the mark on what you meant by quilt...

I wouldn't share my top quilt, with my Akita. That said, sharing a bed with two dogs is a two-dog night, four dogs is a four-dog night.

My Hammock Gear Burrow 20 top quilt is dry-down.

It is what they have. I didn't have an opinion, either way.

I like 800-down or 850-down. I have a strong opinion about that: it fluffs better, it cozies around me, it requires the least volume in the backpack.

There are other brands for a top quilt. Look for the fabric, and the down-fill.

As I said, the top quilt and the XTherm, plus a closed cell foam pad if added, go inside my bivy. I like the Ti-Goat Bug Bivy, and it goes under my tarp or in a tent. I do not care to carry a separate bug net.

I have the Bug Bivy for sleeping (keeps out "crawlies" - so important) and I have a Bug Baffler headnet worn over my cap for hiking. When not worn, the Bug Baffler goes under the shock cord lacing on the outside of my backpack for stuffing my tarp and polycryo ground sheet, if not a tent, or for drying underwear or socks.

I would have something more robust for netting, then, on the outside of the backpack with the shock cords. I would want to stuff a tent in mesh provided by the maker of the backpack.

Others have other arrangements for their wet or slightly wet gear.

I think what you choose should be envisioned how it will all go together as a system that will all work with the backpack you will use and the fact you will have to carry your that backpack.
    Last edited by Connie; 06-05-2016 at 20:08.

1. R-5 sleeping foundation between you and the ground.
    2. Quilts: Enlightened Equipment, Hammock Gear, lots of other quilt companies.
    3. Dri Down may not be worth paying extra for. Research.
    Good luck.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    1. R-5 sleeping foundation between you and the ground.
    2. Quilts: Enlightened Equipment, Hammock Gear, lots of other quilt companies.
    3. Dri Down may not be worth paying extra for. Research.
    Good luck.

Wayne

reviews seem to say it's pretty great -- I don't pay full price for anything though!

I'm wondering if I could figure out a quilt setup where diesel is snuggled up with me -- it would simplify his sleeping situation a lot

If he will snuggle, choose a fabric you can wipe off mud: dogs find mud.

My XTherm has 5.7 R-value. I wouldn't let a dog near any brand air mattress, not even my Exped Syn-Mat I had and decided it had too much volume for my backpack.
    Last edited by Connie; 06-05-2016 at 20:15.

Quote Originally Posted by Connie View Post
    If he will snuggle, choose a fabric you can wipe off mud: dogs find mud.

My XTherm has 5.7 R-value. I wouldn't let a dog near any brand air mattress, not even my Exped Syn-Mat I had and decided it had too much volume for my backpack.
    I have, by some miracle, gotten him used to wearing toddler socks from walmart whenever he's in the tent. It's kind of unneccessary in the 6p coleman that I use when car camping with my boyfriend but in my thin/expensive 2p nemo, it's kind of a godsend.

I'm thinking cleaning the dridown might be a little easier. plus lets be honest, I'll probably be pretty muddy too

The high end quilt company in Seattle (sorry their name escapes me) has published a disclaimer that treated down requires an overfill to maintain a particular temperature rating. Add that to the fact that neither Feathered Friends nor Western Mountaineering offer treated down and you have to wonder if the treated down is really worth paying extra for.
    As for always sleeping cold: You live in New Orleans, correct? So did I for 30 odd years. It always took me about a week for my internal thermostat to switch from hot to cold. How long have you spent in cold weather?
    Connie hinted at a few things you can do to sleep warm. More research is needed.

Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    The high end quilt company in Seattle (sorry their name escapes me) has published a disclaimer that treated down requires an overfill to maintain a particular temperature rating. Add that to the fact that neither Feathered Friends nor Western Mountaineering offer treated down and you have to wonder if the treated down is really worth paying extra for.
    As for always sleeping cold: You live in New Orleans, correct? So did I for 30 odd years. It always took me about a week for my internal thermostat to switch from hot to cold. How long have you spent in cold weather?
    Connie hinted at a few things you can do to sleep warm. More research is needed.

Wayne

I lived in london for three years, and north carolina for about 6 months. Now that you mention it, when I came home for christmas it was about 60 and I was wearing shorts outside...

I was moving away from the treated down and then someone in a different thread mentioned the concern that having a likely wet dog around may mean that I need my bag to have the water protection. Thoughts?

You are that someone from a different thread...I'm having trouble keeping track here lol

Quote Originally Posted by oliviamariana View Post
    reviews seem to say it's pretty great -- I don't pay full price for anything though!

I'm wondering if I could figure out a quilt setup where diesel is snuggled up with me -- it would simplify his sleeping situation a lot
    Most cottage manufacturers do not have sales. EE has a 10% Black Friday sale. Many EE owners have sold the "Karo" baffle version quilts used and purchased the current "vertical" baffle design. The "Karo" design is sewn square with an opening that allows down to be moved easily. If you're a rotisserie sleeper, the top of the quilt thins out overnight. I sold mine used and purchased their current "vertical" baffle design.

BPL.com has a good "gear swap" forum and EE quilts show up periodically. You might find a good deal there.

Jacks R Better has sales.

I would want a machine washable synthetic top quilt for frequent washing because "wet dawg" odor. I think Apex synthetic insulation is the least weight and bulk. In fact, sew your own quilt: Quest Outfitters pattern and materials.

http://www.questoutfitters.com/

I tried to get "booties" on my Akita.

He looked at me like I was an idiot.

Journal Entries
    Images

If/When I invest in a new sleeping bag it's going to be this. The weight, loft, and available features are excellent. You will spend a little more, but a good down bag can last 10 years if taken care of.

http://www.enlightenedequipment.com/revelation/

PS - Just realized this was the secret "Women's Forum" and I don't intentionally lurk here, but I use the 'Today's Posts' function and click on interesting thread headlines. I didn't pay attention, so please no crying.
    Last edited by -Rush-; 06-06-2016 at 04:59.

++ New Posts ++