WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Fontana Dam to (?) in six days

I'm planning a section hike for late May or early June.... I usually do 10-14 miles a day and want to start at Fontana Dam and go north. I typically leave a car at my stopping point and get a shuttle to my starting point. Davenport Gap looks like a great place to end (that would give me about 67 miles total) except I've heard from two shuttle drivers that it's not a good idea to leave a car there because of vandalism problems.

Is there a parking area where the trail crosses I-40? Is that a good option?

Or maybe where the trail crosses Waterville School Road?

Other ideas?

I'd check with Three Bears Hostel or Mountain Mama's about both parking and shuttle services. I expect that Three Bears will be the best option.

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by orangebug
    I'd check with Three Bears Hostel or Mountain Mama's about both parking and shuttle services. I expect that Three Bears will be the best option.
    I think he means Standing Bear Farm. Curtis will let you park there for a small donation. But, Hot Springs is just around the corner and Fontana to HS is a great section hike. not to mention ending in hot springs brings food and good company, and shuttling options.

i personally would not leave a car at davenport gap either.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

You could leave your car at the Big Creek Ranger Station. I have done this in the past and had no problems.
    If we look at the path, we do not see the sky. We are earth people on a spiritual journey to the stars. Our quest, our earth walk is to look within, to know who we are, to see that we are connected to all things, that there is no separation, only in the mind.
    - Native American, source unknown

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanette
    I'm planning a section hike for late May or early June.... I usually do 10-14 miles a day and want to start at Fontana Dam and go north. ...
    I did this hike in April in five full days, approximately 15 miles a day. Started at Fontana Dam and hiked to Standing Bear Hostel (which is just north of I-40 less than a mile). Also did the SBF to Hot Springs section at Thanksgiving.

The proprietor, Curtis Owen, has a website for Standing Bear Farm at--
    http://standingbearfarm.tripod.com/

I have stayed there twice now and highly recommend SBF to others. You can email or call Curtis.

Mountain Momma's is another alternative, but I have only eaten breakfast there, so don't know how they are on lodging, parking, or shuttling.

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Hot Springs is indeed a great place to visit, or to end a hike, but you're not going to get there from Fontana in 6 days.

I think the folks who suggested Standing Bear Farm are correct: This is a wondrful place, a good place to leave a vehicle, or Curtis can shuttle you wherever you need to go.

Total distance from the northern end of Fontana Dam to Waterville Rd. is 74 miles; Standing Bear Farm is a few hundred yeards to the left when you get to Waterville Rd.

i didnt see the 6 day tag. yea, going from fontana to hot springs in 6 days would be a push.

amongnature.blogspot.com

I should probably amend my last post.....

I don't hike as fast as I used to. Hot Springs is just over 107 miles from Fontana Dam, so theoretically, a strong hiker could make it in six days, averaging just under 18 miles a day. However, this is certainly faster than most people go in the Smokies (and that first day outta Fontana is kind of a tough one). Therefore, for folks who are on a schedule like Jeanette's, I think Davenport or Waterville Rd. might be a more realistic goal.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin
    I should probably amend my last post.....

I don't hike as fast as I used to. Hot Springs is just over 107 miles from Fontana Dam, so theoretically, a strong hiker could make it in six days, averaging just under 18 miles a day. However, this is certainly faster than most people go in the Smokies (and that first day outta Fontana is kind of a tough one). Therefore, for folks who are on a schedule like Jeanette's, I think Davenport or Waterville Rd. might be a more realistic goal.
    yea we did it in 7 on our thru, and that including taking a half day off at Standing Bear.

amongnature.blogspot.com

GA-VA 2005, VA-CT 2007, CT-ME ??
    Images

Another thumbs-up for Standing Bear. Great folks and a neat little spot.
    -Mark

Jeanette, I assume you know about the Smokies' permit and shelter reservation requirements. You're not considered a "thru-hiker' for their purposes.

I did Davenport-to-Fontana SOBO in 6 days Fall, 04 but two of the days were half-days of hiking - my last day and a day in the middle when I waited out a thunderstorm at Mt. Collins shelter. Whether you go on to Hot Springs (as pointed out above, the next logical point) depends on how much time you have and whether you want to take time to enjoy views in the Smokies and Max Patch. The time of year you're hiking should feature nice wildflowers.

Thanks everyone! I knew I could count on you! I emailed Curtis yesterday afternoon and hope to hear back soon. Will let you know how things go.

Images

Two words come to mind: Trip Report!

Thumbs up Great Trip!

My good buddy and I did that section (Fontana to HS) the week before Memorial Day last Spring. It was a great trip, the Smokies offer many different types of forests and views and elevations. We did it in seven nights, seven 1/2 days of hiking. For six days I wouldn't try to push to HS especially averaging only 10-14 mi per day. Take your time and enjoy the sights and views. Be aware that it could be cold because of the elevation. We had several nights just above freezing in the western part of the Smokies and the days didn't get much warmer. Good luck and enjoy!
    AT -> '02-?

Journal Entries
    Images

Default car drop off

[QUOTE=Jeanette]I'm planning a section hike for late May or early June.... I usually do 10-14 miles a day and want to start at Fontana Dam and go north. I typically leave a car at my stopping point and get a shuttle to my starting point. Davenport Gap looks like a great place to end (that would give me about 67 miles total) except I've heard from two shuttle drivers that it's not a good idea to leave a car there because of vandalism problems.
    Is there a parking area where the trail crosses I-40? Is that a good option?
    Or maybe where the trail crosses Waterville School Road?Other ideas?/QUOTE]

Jeanette:

why not just leave the car @ Mtn Momma's?

thats a very nice section...& a super large, juicy CHEESEBURGER from MM's is a great way to end a hike!
    see ya'll UP the trail!

"Jaybird"

GA-ME...
    "on-the-20-year-plan"

www.trailjournals.com/Jaybird2013

Images

I second Jaybird. MM's gives you a good taste for "local color" as well as a good cheesburger...

Talking

I did this section from North to South and parked a car at Fontana Dam. The folks at the Hike Inn came and picked me up at the dam and drove me to Davenport Gap. When you get back to the dam after 5/6 days of hiking, there is a shower waiting for you in the dam restroom. -giggle-

++ New Posts ++