WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

This talk of shin shin splints has me wondering if the cause is similar to when you get them from running. Basically they are an overuse injury of doing too much too soon. for instance in marathon you start at base of 25mi / week and then build up over 18 weeks or so to get in shape for a marathon. Generally it is recommended to not increase weekly mileage more than 10% per week.

Is hiking the same. Are shin splints from adding too many miles, or perhaps training in flat areas and then hitting the roller coaster hills of the AT? Does anyone study hiking fitness/training like the do running/cycling and other sports?

This is a very good topic. Many people think they know more about the efficiency and proper mechanics of walking than they actually do by evidence of what I see in backpacking. I'm always learning too so don't have a handle on everything.

Quote Originally Posted by dmax View Post
    What is the proper body mechanics for walking faster?
    i know when I start out in the mornings, it's kinda of a slower pace than I would like. But I do finally settle into a pace that I like and move right along.
    but, I'd like to pick that pace up a little. That would help me knock off some miles before lunch.

Should I push off with my toes as I walk?
    i have done this a really picked up the pass for a bit. But the my shins start fealing it...
    or
    Should I take smaller steps, longer steps,

I realize an earlier start would help.
    id just looking for the ways to walk properly that would help me pick up the pace.
    Any info on how to walk properly at normal pace is welcome too.
    First, amazing that it wasn't mentioned walking mechanics as they relate to efficiency and various terrain. Efficiency in backpacking is important more so the longer one's hike is. Pace and efficient walking mechanics change as a consequence of terrain probably more than any other aspect. For example, stride length although usually smaller on steeper grades and on more precarious unsure footing can be longer on more gradually graded slopes like many parts of the well engineered PCT because it's an equestrian and pedestrian route.

In general I'm standing erect focusing on good posture shoulders very slightly forward. Shoulders are up and back. I'll occasionally push my shoulder blades together putting my shoulders back if posture needs to be improved and to open up my lungs. Chin is level NOT down on my chest. When shoulders roll forward chin naturally tends to go down affecting the quality of the breathing. I'm looking ahead at least 20 ft. All these aspects I work on for form. I'm carrying a light to UL load. Breath is through the nose to go deeply into the lungs hence the need for good posture. It's unstressfully slowly very momentarily held and exhaled out through the mouth. If breathing becomes overly laborious I'll decrease pace or only do it as part of cardio training. I recognize backpacking as an endurance activity since I'm mainly not doing day hikes. Trail running is a bit different as far as breathing where I'll be willing to breathe harder.

When in the groove my feet are rolling with the stride. Partial heel hits first with backpacking but immediately rolls to the toes for slight push off. Trail runners with good flexibility, cut heel, cush in the heel/ball of the foot, and rolled front uplifted toe area that let me roll are what I seek. Overly stiff soled shoes, especially think heavy boots for fats paced hikes are some of the worst IMO. I'll tighten my butt and abs during the motion. It's not about plodding heavily or bouncing. Efficiency in LD walking/backpacking and getting to a faster pace is aided by core strength.

Since I'm not using trekking poles often I swing my arms when in the Zen Zone. It's about gliding, flowing with my body, the environment, etc and everything else. No jerky movements or fighting the momentum. It's about being centered. Light on the feet is the goal. Pull up a You Tube vid of Skurka on the move at The Wave. He's a great example of efficiency of motion.

This article tells what I've talked about I do. http://www.womenshealthmag.com/fitne...tt-off/slide/9

Lengthening the stride can surely put more wt on the front leg. Going fast down a steep slope/stairs, /etc locking the front impact leg can result in issues like shin splints. I've done this to myself and almost missed not finishing the PCT in WA because I was running with long strides locking my front leg on steps and/or simply pounding while on descents rather than flowing, floating, gliding… The shin splints were so debilitating I could no longer walk. Here's a good pic of it in a Backpacker article on Pg 2. http://www.backpacker.com/skills/fitness/how-to-walk/2/ However, on very gradually graded meandering switchbacked single track like parts of CT(multi use so the trail is gradual where MBers are also allowed), AZT(multi use for MBers too), or other parts of the PCT in the Mojave Desert(again multi use well graded for equestrians too) I ran with long strides no problem.

Should go without saying but the right shoes for your feet's characteristics and the trail and your style are required.

When I'm seeking 10 before 10 I'm on the go at 6 a.m. maybe 7 a.m.-7.30 a.m. if it's easy terrain. Pace plays a role in meeting the goal but it's about going UL and hiking for the majority of those hrs not sitting around at stops. I can and do work myself into that goal though. I don't always fly out of the gate at a fast pace. Very exciting to me what's around the bend, at the top of that pass, etc.

What allows me to get a quick morning start? Love sunrise(animals are still stirring, like being the first on the trail), UL/less gear to keep track of, cowboy camp or bivy often as conditions allow which equals less packing up, one basic UL kit that suffices for 70% of my hikes(I know how my gear is packed, familiarity), morning affirmations of gratitude, mediating on an inspiring quote/saying/adage(I like Proverbs but will use anything that I feel is positive and energizing), GREAT music at some pt in those hrs, and get whatever I can ready the night before.

Having tried to increase stride length, speed of pace, and other body mechanics over about a 40 year period of time, I have not found much to be successful over long term. What it came down to for me was, keep your natural stride/pace/rhythm and walk longer if you need to cover miles by a certain point of time. Less injuries from unnatural stride, twisted ankles from moving too fast over broken ground, and less gasping for air due to rhythm issues.

Lone wolf actually said it best "its just walking", as it applies to this, he's absolutely correct in my view.

Quote Originally Posted by nsherry61 View Post
    How about this.

Or this.
    thats what I look like when I have to pee real bad and urination is eminent.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    You dont walk farther by walking faster
    You do it by walking longer

If you change natural gait, you are begging for problems

Walk a pace you can maintain without stopping for rests, especially uphill. You will lose way more by stopping than steady slower pace.
    +1

MW said what I was going to say. The best pace is one you can maintain all day. For big miles, start hiking early and end late, take only essential breaks for water and snacks (rather than meals). Slow down rather than take rest stops on ups and downs. Don't let those with faster natural gaits than yours concern you. HYOH as they say.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Quote Originally Posted by ggreaves View Post
    "Also, Dude, chinaman is not the preferred nomenclature. Asian-American, please"
    -Walter Sobchak
    Only if said person of Chinese heritage has settled in America.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye View Post
    Only if said person of Chinese heritage has settled in America.
    And that's why they call you Deadeye
    IN VINO VERITAS

Quote Originally Posted by ggreaves View Post
    "Also, Dude, chinaman is not the preferred nomenclature. Asian-American, please"
    -Walter Sobchak
    Butt what if they never set foot in the U.S.? And they're really from China? Can they still be called a Chinaman?

Chinamen from China that still live in China are just called dudes.
    "I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list." - S. Sontag

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Maydog View Post
    Chinamen from China that still live in China are just called dudes.
    Dude in Mandarin would properly be 多德...
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

I find the easiest way to increase pace is to change channels of that repetitive song in my head. anything by Joan Jett is particularly helpful...

Default Motivating my pace

Quote Originally Posted by Secondmouse View Post
    I find the easiest way to increase pace is to change channels of that repetitive song in my head. anything by Joan Jett is particularly helpful...
    Up the mountain: Stairway to Heaven
    Down the mountain: Black Dog

Gee, I think I just gave away my age.
    IN VINO VERITAS

Quote Originally Posted by Trailjockey View Post
    Up the mountain: Stairway to Heaven
    Down the mountain: Black Dog

Gee, I think I just gave away my age.
    No worries. You're in good company.
    Radar Love and Twilight Zone work for me.
    Wayne

Old. Slow. "Smarter than the average bear."
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Joan Jett - Do You Wanna Touch Me?... no better song for making time on level ground with hiking poles.

up hill? Stevie Ray Vaughn Crossfire or Superstition. heck any SRV really...

My level ground pace is 3.2 mph, give or take. When in shape, I maintain that pace on slight inclines.

If I try to increase that pace - like for a workout, to get my heart rate up because I'm only doing a few miles, I sweat a lot more and breath considerably harder. It's not a pace I would want to try to maintain on the trail.

I'm usually the pace setter in my hiking pairing. Once, when I was out solo hiking, I met up with and hiked with a few other guys. The hiked faster than my accustomed speed; I was sore for 3 days.

...and, as others have said, if I'm winded or tired from hiking even a little faster than my comfortable speed, my chances of stumbling or twisting an ankle go up dramatically.

My GF and I did the 13 mile section between RT 17 and RT 4 this weekend. We were happy to average 2 MPH and its a fairly easy section for Maine. Trail.jpg

We were flying down this trail.

Several comments above have pointed out that it is difficult and inefficient to change your normal gait rhythm. Walking mechanics functions as an inverted pendulum. As you take a step, your center of mass goes up which requires energy, but you get that energy from your forward momentum. You get that energy back as your center of mass drops (as your leg goes past vertical). When working most efficiently, you transfer your momentum/energy to your other leg as you take a step and the process repeats on the other leg.

You will notice that when a pendulum swings, it has a natural frequency and very little energy is needed to keep it swinging. You really can't make a pendulum swing faster or slower without changing the length of the pendulum. This explains why it is difficult to change your gait. Walking faster or slower than normal requires more energy. (try explaining this to my wife who complains that I always walk too fast). Here is a link to a scholarly article that discusses some of these principles.

https://www.researchgate.net/publica...ep_Transitions

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    Several comments above have pointed out that it is difficult and inefficient to change your normal gait rhythm. Walking mechanics functions as an inverted pendulum. As you take a step, your center of mass goes up which requires energy, but you get that energy from your forward momentum. You get that energy back as your center of mass drops (as your leg goes past vertical). When working most efficiently, you transfer your momentum/energy to your other leg as you take a step and the process repeats on the other leg.

You will notice that when a pendulum swings, it has a natural frequency and very little energy is needed to keep it swinging. You really can't make a pendulum swing faster or slower without changing the length of the pendulum. This explains why it is difficult to change your gait. Walking faster or slower than normal requires more energy. (try explaining this to my wife who complains that I always walk too fast). Here is a link to a scholarly article that discusses some of these principles.

https://www.researchgate.net/publica...ep_Transitions
    that analogy explains it perfectly to me and my way of thinkin' so thanks for that.

Images

As stated above, Walk how YOU walk!! Other than right foot, left foot, right foot, left foot, repeat for a few thousand miles. The only advice I can offer is: Be ABSOLUTELY sure you plant your feet as Flat as possible!! When on rough terrain, make extra sure you know how you are stepping. Even 0.001 seconds lapse in that at the wrong time could be trip ending. I'm not saying stare at your feet all the time you are walking*, but be aware of what is coming your way trail wise.

*staring at your feet is a good way to not see that great view, the bear that is really a cow, the bear that is really a bear, the low hanging branch that is just above your field of vision but below the top of your skull,,, yea, it hurt!
    Curse you Perry the Platypus!

Walk this way...

https://youtu.be/Twf0ffG0v_8

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++